Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a '72 Opel, and I can see right away that some of the rubber seals will need to be replaced.

I thought that it would be a good idea to have a list of off the shelf replacements. For example I will need to replace the window scrapers, can they be replaced with basic window scrapers, or do they have to be special ordered?

What other peices are known to be able to be replaced with off the shelf material?

·
Super Moderator
9,672 Posts
Well, it would help to know what model of Opel? GT, Manta, SportWagon, Sedan, Kadett?

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i know you can change blades without using opel blades. i stole mine of a 87 s-10 that were brand new. they work great.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,230 Posts
Yugo door weatherstripping is the same as the GT. Easy to find, cut to fit, and it's about 15-20 years newer.

·
Opeler
44 Posts
GT Rubber

Anyone have a thought on possible interchanges for the rubber hood seals on a gt? Mine is missing, but the good news is that the head rush from the gas fumes keeps me from noticing the scraping;)

·
Opeler
30 Posts
On a recent browse through the local PYP, I grapped a couple of inches of weather stripping from the rear door of a 89 Chyysler mini-van. When I got it home, I tried it on the GT and it looks like it will work perfectly for the hood seals. Next time I'm there, I'm going to get the whole thing, which is probably 20 feet long, which will easly do everything I need on the GT.

·
1,973 Posts
I can not find any yugo weather stripping, autozone has it in the system but they cant order it.

·
1,973 Posts
does anyone have some used door weatherstripping in good shape or have an auto store around you that sells yugo door weatherstripping around you?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Between Opel Gt Source and Opels Unlimited you should be able to get ever seal and piece of rubber needed. Note: you have to be patien when dealing with Opels Unlimited.
Good luck

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok, i know what you mean by saying that the yugo weatherstripping will fit an Opel GT, but wont almost any weatherstripping fit an opel gt. The only real qualifications it has to have is that it has to be the kind that presses over the steel lip on the door frame (as opposed to the kind that "snaps" in; ex: newer Honda Civics). I mean, the size of the "bulb" might not be exactly the same size, but who cares as long as its not to small to to seal or too big to shut the door, which i dont think you will have that problem. Also, the under the hood rubber would have to have the bulb running vertical, or inline, with the piece that actually clips over the steel lip. If I am wrong on any of this please let me know. If I stand uncorrected I think I will just find the size that I like the best and buy about 20+ feet of it and cover my entire car for next to nothing.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,230 Posts
The reason I recommended the Yugo stuff (hadn't thought about the Chevette/Opel-Isuzu/Isuzu/T1000, but it makes sense since they are all the same car as the Kadett....more or less) is that it looks just like the GT stuff.
I'm sure you can find something that 'will work', but if you go scrounging, you may find yourself with a choice, something different or something similiar. Same price, same effort.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My weatherstripping under the hood on my GT is almost completely gone. The actual trim that clips over the steel lip is there, but the soft rubber seal has been ripped off. Could anyone describe or post a picture of the weatherstripping in its 'prime'. If someone has a picture of their engine bay where the weatherstripping is in focus, that will do. I just need to see how it seals to the hood and how tall it is overall. Also, i need a second opinion on this. I have had a pretty big problem with fumes in the passenger compartment on my GT. Im almost positive that the lack of seal between the engine bay and the fresh air duct is causing the majority of the problem (there are also holes throughout the car near the exhaust). With the fresh air ducts closed, I can still smell the exhaust. With the windows rolled down, the smell is still there. I think that some of the gas is sucked in through the fresh air vents. I also think that with just a little bit of speed, the wind blows those fumes out from under the hood and they are sucked into the cab (via windows down and the absense of weatherstripping between the door and door frame). Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts