Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Opel Key Master
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Online I see that there are several parts brand new available for the GT. Not to mention custom interior parts. I love the crew at Opel GT Source, and they do a great job. My question is why can we not seem to get this kind of stuff over here? Instrument panels that come out and are dipped in chromium, white guage faces, sheetmetal, rack and pinions...etc. There are many interior kits as well as mods that I think would sell well here. Does it cost way too much to get it to the states? Bulk shipments?

Any input would be interesting.
Keith

·
583 Posts
Parts avavilability.

If you have ever dealt with tying to get parts in from Europe in quantity, you'd understand about the difficulty. Unless you are bringing in a container full, it is quite expensive to ship the bulky or heavy parts, i.e pash pads, transmissions, engines. You also must consider the exchange rate of the US Dollar to the Euro or Great British Pound. A significant movement in the rates and you can go from being "in the money" to "in the hole" in a hurry. This also may make the supply in the US more valuable due to the cost to replace the inventory. There are a number of factors.

Gil and Dennis work hard to come by the stuff they have. You also have to remember that the place is not huge with unlimited capital. Those two guys are Opel GT Source. You should go for a visit and see what they do to bring you guys parts. JMTCW.

·
Opel Key Master
5,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is one of the sites I am refering to. I understand the cost, and agree-Gil and Dennis do a great job. I know Opels Unlimited had some stuff crated over-but I don't think I would buy a Golden Opel from him if all I had to do was pay shipping. Seems though here in the states we lack on some of the body/interior parts we all desire.
Keith

·
583 Posts
Parts.

Some of that stuff is in limited supply or the advertisers have to supply in captivity. The Internet is a wonderful thing, you can bring people and parts together. Get creative, find a way to obtain the parts. I have made several friends in Germany, the UK and around the country all founded on the exchange of parts or information. Along the way I've acquired interior parts, optional equipment, gear sets, pistons, transmssions, clutch plates, Quiafe differentials, Opel limited slip unts, etc. It's all in who you know.

Have fun!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Parts Importing

All the parts I have needed for my GT and Kadett have to be imported as they were never brought here new. The cost of the rebuilds has been about half parts cost and half postage. :eek: Stuff has arrived from all over the world and I take this chance tothank all those who have been prepared to ship items to me - without you all the job would have been nearly impossible!
Many Thanks

·
Opeler
193 Posts
I have bought a couple items from Suselbeek outfit that weren't available from OGTS. The first item took forever to get here. They must have put it on a slow slow boat. The second item (heater blower) came really fast. Shipping and the poor conversion rate to the Euro do make it more expensive. But some really really low volume stuff, they seem to have. The only other alternative would be used parts off eBay or a parts car (which I don't have). But you can get some hard to find OEM type stuff from them.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.