Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Opeler
1,287 Posts
opel gt driving lights

Hey all. Need some help here. I recently bought some of the German driving lights and housings for my 70 GT. Does anyone here have these on their car? If so I have some questions. What number bulb do they use? What is the little bulb that is also inside used for? Has anyone done the wiring? Can you email me how to do it? I know I can just rewire the front marker lights to make them turnsignals...thats easy enough. But, what is the easiest way to hook the driving lights into the dash switch and what is that little bulb inside for? All help and pics are appreciated. Thanks.

Karl
70 GT almost done

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Bulbs

The small bulb is a 4 watt one that is used as a "parking light". The Driving lights bulb is in the "don't know" basket at present - though I have heared hints that halogen bulbs from 4" tractor head lights ( Hella brand) will fit.
The driving ligths are best contolled by using a 1969 switch unit which has a seperate switch for driving lights in it. This is in the "Seat Belt" & "Emergency Flasher" switch unit below the Radio.

The orange side lights can best be used as "blinkers" by replacing the bulb holder with a dual filament one so that one filament can be used as a running light ( 5 watt as at present) and the other as a blinker ( 21 watt ). A standard dual filament equipment from any other car with dual use bulbs can be used to replace the original single filament bulb holder.

I am facing these wiring changes too but have not done it yet.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Long Range Headlights

Where did you get the lights? Are they Glass or Plastic? I got a set of glass lenses, but they are made in England. Are yours Hella??

I'm currently running the clear lenses with 1157NA bulbs. It is still the parking/turn signal but with a yellow bulb instead of clear. It looks pretty good. I don't have the proper reflectors which go with the long range headlight setup which is why I'm running the 1157NA bulbs.

·
1,219 Posts
GTJim,
I didn't understand the differences you mentioned with the 1969 switch panel. I thought that all GT's had the driving light switch. Mine is already wired, but I've never checked to see how the P.O. did it.

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
All of the GTs have this switch. Some use the international symbol for "fog lights" others say "Fog". GT's from Mid 72 to 73 have the "Fasten Seat Belt" light, the rest don't.

·
Opeler
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought these Hella lights from a guy in Germany. I was thinking about changing the front corner lights into just turnsignal lights. That should be easy enough. I will try to hook the driving lights up to the switch if I can. I wonder if the small bulb is enough the function as a turnsignals because I could just hook the existing wires to it. Any comments?

Karl

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
opelgtboy70 said:
I will try to hook the driving lights up to the switch if I can. I wonder if the small bulb is enough the function as a turnsignals because I could just hook the existing wires to it. Any comments?
Karl
Use the switch to energize a relay to power the driving lights, not the switch itself (too low a power rating)
I don't think the small bulb was used as a turn signal bulb, but only as (I believe) a "parking" light. That is, when cars were parked alongside the road in Germany, the turn signal stalk was turned to the outboard position, which lit up that parking light (even with the ignition tuned off). North American Opels of that era have this "vestigial" feature. But if you were to fit a bulb of sufficient "candle-power" (wattage), it should function as a turn signal.

·
Driver
987 Posts
I did this swap on my GT. I have some details on my webpage at http://geocities.com/opelenvy/73gt/work/blinkers/blinkers.htm I used different lights for the fog lights, but the rest will be the same. I have since gone to the clear lenses for my blinkers and have amber bulbs in there, I just haven't updated my pictures yet. This reminded me I need to do that. :D
It is very easy to hook a relay up to the switch so the power is not going through the fog light switch. There is a picture of the dash switch I used from the earlier model GT.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts