Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Opeler
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I would like to check the fluid level in my 5 speed Getrag, what do I need to open the port? And what have you used to refill it?

Thanks
Ken

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
i find that pulling the cork out is the best way to open port then let it breath for 30 min while you get the cheese ready :)
sorry could not help my self
dont know if the plug is hex head(allen key) 10 mm or an ordinary bolt head
but it is sae 80/90 hypoid oil

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
Tool

What I did was make my own tool. Parts needed: piece of 3/4" thinwall pipe 10" long or so ( electrical conduit) 1" bolt and nut with a 17mm head. Tools needed hammer, drill with bit size of bolt thread, welder desired can substitute with an additional nut. Flatten pipe (conduit) with hammer on one end, drill hole in approximate center of flattened pipe, install bolt with nut and weld bolt with 1/2" protruding above pipe install nut on back side and weld nut at end of bolt. Option with out welding using two nuts,install nut on bolt place nut and bolt in hole of flattened pipe install second nut and tighten nuts to secure bolt to pipe.

·
Opeler
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks BAZ and Texas GT,

Now With the size given by BAZ I wonder if I can make it like Texas GT did but in cork! :rolleyes:

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
i would check the size i am only going off the getrag i had many moons age

·
1,219 Posts
You need a 17mm hex head socket. If it's as tight as mine was, buy it in 1/2" drive so you can use a breaker bar. I found it at autozone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts