Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Opeler
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,

Just a question,

I know all of us use Getrag 240 on the GT (from Rekord, Manta, Ascona...)
but is it possible to fit a Getrag 265 (from Senator A) which is stronger ?

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
marc if you use the search engine on site it will cough up lots of posts on getrags and answer your question

·
942 Posts
marc556 said:
Hi friends,

Just a question,

I know all of us use Getrag 240 on the GT (from Rekord, Manta, Ascona...)
but is it possible to fit a Getrag 265 (from Senator A) which is stronger ?
yes,
but the Getrag265 is much bigger,
so make sure there is enough room in the shell.
this gearbox is exactly the same size as the Opel/GM auto trans TH180,
so it should fit into a GT originally equipped with a auto trans.
HTH,
Hiro.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What other gm cars came with the th180 transmission back in the day? I kinda want one for my current 4-speed gt. I know it robs horsepower, but does it make up in time lost shifting?

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Matt M240Z said:
What other gm cars came with the th180 transmission back in the day? I kinda want one for my current 4-speed gt. I know it robs horsepower, but does it make up in time lost shifting?
I know of a few cars using the GM TH180: the Chevy Chevette, the Fiat Spider, and certain Volvos. I only remember this because years ago when I used to order the front and rear seals, the question was always asked by the parts guy...'what car is it in?'. Apparently other than the bellhousing and the output shaft they were virtually identical inside. I *think* Opels got the most aggressive shift valving though, and the GT torque converter supposedly has a slightly higher stall speed.

The one issue that might give you a problem is the shift selector location was on the opposite side of the tranny for the GT, making them more rare in this regard.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i have 2 auto transmissions for the GT. only have 1 flexplate and automatic crossmember, and only 1 automatic GT shift lever. not sure if a detent cable is still kickin around. i can get you all you'd need to convert to an automatic with exception of the detent cable, and a automatic radiator. you can also fit a seperate transmission cooler up in the front of the car if you do convert to an auto, and dont want to change the radiator.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Matt, if memory serves me correctly, the only auto tranny that gained or had a lower Elapsed Time in the quarter mile drags over a manual tranny, was a specially tricked out 727 Torque-Flite transmission coupled to a mid 60s Dodge Hemi-RamCharger, over an identically equipped RamCharger with a Borg-Warner T-10. I believe the ET difference was in the 100ths of a second. The times were so close the Dodge boys swapped the trannys from one car to the other and made numerous runs with the results the same. The 727 beat the T-10 in almost every run. That's one of the reasons there is a 426 hemi tranny kit in my van

1 - 8 of 8 Posts