Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got a Getrag 262.0.510.00 gearbox 4 speed from a monza / Senator, it will be possible to mount it in my opel gt 1969 without the major changes

·
Registered
904 Posts
It is a Getrag 264, the 262 is the housing part number. You need the Senator/Monza bellhousing, flywheel and clutch, or a 9" flywheel with a custom clutch with the right 10-spline count. You will also probably need to modify the transmission tunnel and modify the shifter placement. With a Getrag 265 you can use an automatic GT drive shaft, but I don't know if it is the same with a 264.

·
Super Moderator
6,030 Posts
I have got a Getrag 262.0.510.00 gearbox 4 speed from a monza / Senator, it will be possible to mount it in my opel gt 1969 without the major changes
If I understand the question, you are asking if the Senator/Monza Getrag 264 4-speed can be fitted to an Opel GT with a 1.9 CIH? I have to ask "why?". That transmission was designed to go with the 6-cylinder CIH, so it can handle more torque/HP. Does your 1.9 CIH put out so much power it needs that type of transmission? But it is still a non-overdrive 4-speed, so why not a Getrag 240?

Reactions: Autoholic

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was one I bought cheap and it has only driven 77000 km
so I would mount it while the original gearbox is being renovated but it can probably not answer if too much needs to be done but thanks for all the answers

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,574 Posts
Here is what I know.. ( I have 2 of them myself )

1) WAY Bigger, the Bell housing is wider at the center
2) BUT also shorter..
3) Will need to use the Guido on the transmission side
4) Headlight cable arm will get in the way so you will have to figure that out
5) Mounting may not be as straight forward as the 240 sue to being shorter ( OR It may bolt up easier and bolt with the Manual location)
6) Not sure you will need a different flywheel or clutch. I can check. The issue maybe the clutch arm though.

Now not sure why anyone said bellhousing is an issue.. its for the CIH and fits the CIH.. and at least for the two I have they are integral to the transmission.

I do have all three here, and can check the length and pivot hieght of the clutch arm, that will dictate what you may need for a pressure plate or a flywheel.

I cut down the flywheel ( as the Senator one has huge steps in it.. ) and then used a 4x4 2.8L Clutch from a 2.8L S-10 with 4x4. Its taller as well. You can see it compared to the standard S-10 pressure plate. I assume if you just got the flywheel and pressure plate from the Senator it would fit and work.

Just a lot of weight on the back of the crank and if your still running with a 1.9 or 2.0 you would feel a big difference..

Attachments

·
7,574 Posts
Same spline as the 240.. and it's a R25 and it fits CIH ( Later Senators and Omega ).. thought they were the same. Doh.

I confuse the two, as I havent had a 264/265 in my hands

Attachments

Reactions: Commodåren

·
7,574 Posts
Talking to Jef Boite, the R25 is "SMALLER" than the Getrag 264/265..

Getriebekennzeichnungen (senatorman.de)

Which means if its a tight fit for the R25, then it will be a tighter fit for the 265. Lets us know how it goes.. I will be attempting to put in the R25 shortly

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,807 Posts
Why bother? If you're having the 4 speed rebuilt, just wait till that is done and put it back in. The only reasons to swap gearboxes that make any sense, is to put a 5 speed in or a stronger transmission for racing. If you really must have a temporary transmission, I'm sure someone has a stock Opel 4 speed you could buy for cheap. If I can find them somewhat easy in the US, Europe has to have some sources for them.

·
7,574 Posts
Why bother? If you're having the 4 speed rebuilt, just wait till that is done and put it back in. The only reasons to swap gearboxes that make any sense, is to put a 5 speed in or a stronger transmission for racing. If you really must have a temporary transmission, I'm sure someone has a stock Opel 4 speed you could buy for cheap. If I can find them somewhat easy in the US, Europe has to have some sources for them.
The 5 speed lower gears are better for that.. but not the only reason to go 5 speed.

The overdrive is VERY nice to have just on the highway..

·
Registered
904 Posts
Yes, but the OP wanted to use his Getrag 264, which is a four speed, until the stock GT four speed has been rebuilt. And the 264/265 are not particularly good racing transmissions due to the wide ratio spreads. A Getrag 265 sport from an Ascona/Manta 400 would be much better, or the version used in the BMW M3.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts