Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have any info on how to swap the stock 4spd for a getrag 5 spd in an opel gt. any info would be great. thanks.

·
Raging Opel-holic
65 Posts
Getrag Swap

Hey I've been gone a while..........

OK. The Getrag has an output shaft that has the same spline as the Opel GT's automatic, so to install a 5-speed in your GT you'll need to find a donor automatic GT drive shaft. To make the shaft fit with the longer 5-speed, it will need to be shortened and rewelded, so that has to go to a professional shop to be done. The Getrag also has a different shift lever setup. The mechanism that holds/positions the shifter has to be shortened and have some brackets welded to it. The transmission itself seems to fit nicely and once everything's in place, it looks like it should have been there the first time you looked under the car. You can attempt this yourself, but this would require a bit more skill than the average owner has. I am going to install one in my GT in a few months. I have decided to get it as a complete kit that comes from Germany where this 5-speed setup came from. I will install the kit myself because I have the tools and the experience required. I know of a few different sources for a complete kit, but won't post them here. If you would like to discuss this further, just post here and I'll respond as soon as possible.

Phil

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
When I put the Getrag in my '69 GT, I took an automatic drive shaft to a local driveshaft shop. It was dented and they could not use it. What they ended up doing was replacing the entire tube and welding on the ends. Cost with balancing was $110.00.

The guy at the shop also told me that the automatic spline (trans end) was standard GM and he took one off the shelf and proved it.
So don't spend a lot of $$$ and time tracking down an automatic driveshaft that you will cut up. A d-shaft shop can cut the back off yours and make the rest with new off-the-shelf parts for around $150.00.

The shop I used is in RI and they will UPS. I can post their address if interested.

Update: Although the GM spline is the same is
size as th Opel, there is an important difference in the machining of the splines. The Opel one has a chamfer on the spline's edge and the GM one does not. This could cause the yoke to bind in the Getrag's tailshaft. Not a good thing!

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
The easiest way is to fork out $1299 plus shipping to OGTS (Opel GT Source --- Welcome) and get the "complete" kit, including the auto tranny cross member, adaptor mount, shortened drive shaft, modified shifter, and some other stuff. Simple as pie. Only a LOT of pies!

Or, you can pay them $599 plus shipping, and get a used, unmodified Getrag 240 (which is the model you need). I have also seen a few on German ebay (eBay Deutschland – Der weltweite Online-Marktplatz ) or more specifically try the search at eBay: getrag, Automobile ; There are four there right now for under 180 Euros (same as in $US). But make sure the bellhousing is designed for the Opel CIH engine, either 4 or 6 cylinder. But shipping it to the New World might require the assistance of your cousin Hans in Germany, and a bunch more Euros.

Then modify it using the instructions found at:

Getrag 240 Mods

There is another shifter version, by Gordane, at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/classicopels/files/ Technical Information/gordan'sshifter.jpg

HTH

·
Super Moderator
13,582 Posts
Question: Are you guys refering to the Getrag 265 or to the 240? I ask because the 240 (more common) has the same output shaft as a 4-speed Opel. In fact, you need to cut down a 4-speed driveshaft to fit it.

The Opel automatic output shaft spline is the same as a ZF 5-speed (kinda rare), and the automatic driveshaft itself is too short for a Getrag 5-speed, but fits directly with no mods into the ZF.

Bob

·
587 Posts
On the 265 Getrag, It has different input splines, removable bell houseing, & is longer. Correct??? Will this also fit into the GT as easily as the 240 Getrag. Will the shifter assembly(ball end) from a BMW getrag work on either of these opel Getrags? I know they would need modified just as the others do.

I have a complete OGTS Getrag set-up already for my GT
But I have access to a 265 Getrag that is missing the bellhousing and shifter assembly. Is it worth trying to find the parts to make it fit the GT or to use a 240 instead? I read a Ford 2.8 clutch could be used(same splines as 265) after machining the flywheel. Also a 70's Capri bellhousing w/ mods. Any info on this or what would be needed to put into a GT?

Thanks
Tom C.

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Getrag 240 or 265?

Is the first picture I posted (with the integral bellhousing) the Getrag 240, and the second (with the separate bellhousing) the 265? I wondered what the difference was, although they were both listed on ebay.de as being from an Opel CIH engine.

I was under the understanding that the 240 output splines matched the Opel Automatic, which in turn was "standard" corporate GM. And since the automatic driveshaft was too long, it was just as easy to get your 4-speed driveshaft shortened with a GM tranny spline. And the input splines were the same as the stock Opel 1.9 CIH clutch disc, and hence the same as the GM S-10 clutch disc.

So what input and output spline does the 265 have (if different from the 240)? It would seem odd that Opel would have different input splines within the same engnie range, unless it had one for 4 cylinder CIH engines, and another for 6's.

And to answer the question about "euro" value, yes, one euro is very nearly (at current exchange rates) equal to one U.S. dollar.

·
Super Moderator
13,582 Posts
It requires much more work to install a 265. It's physically larger, much heavier, and has a different output spline. Input shaft should be the same, although I've heard that some models are different (Omega?). I don't know if the shifter is the same as a BMW's, but either way it will be sitting WAYY back near the emergency brake, so it needs to be cut/welded.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
13,582 Posts
Re: Getrag 240 or 265?

kwilford said:

I was under the understanding that the 240 output splines matched the Opel Automatic, which in turn was "standard" corporate GM. And since the automatic driveshaft was too long, it was just as easy to get your 4-speed driveshaft shortened with a GM tranny spline. And the input splines were the same as the stock Opel 1.9 CIH clutch disc, and hence the same as the GM S-10 clutch disc.

I have had numerous Getrags in my Opels and one ZF. The Getrag 240 definitely used a shortened 4-speed shaft with a 4-speed spline. An automatic spline is larger. The new shortened driveshaft length falls in between the stock 4-speed's and a stock automatic's.

The 265 Getrag uses the automatic output spline though. Can't comment on the driveshaft length though, I haven't installed one (yet). My friend just got 3 Getrag 265's from England, so we'll see how much work it is to fit.

Bob

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Now I'm confused.:confused:
I remember putting the driveshaft I had made up for my Getrag conversion onto an S-10 T-5 trans that I have. The front spline was from an Opel automatic. I think the final length was 9.75" weld-to-weld. The guy at R.I. Driveshafts pulled a GM spline off the shelf and they matched.

·
Super Moderator
5,296 Posts
Getrag 240 install in GT

I've covered this too many times to mention. Doesn't anyone here remember my GT Getrag 240 Install HTML? :confused:

Everything's here and based on my two GTs with 240s in them. Incidentally, the 265 is just the larger version of the 240 designed for higher torque CIH 6 cylinder engines, like my Bitter.
HTH
Otto

·
Super Moderator
5,296 Posts
Getrag 240 GT driveshaft

Once and for all, driveshaft for the Getrag 240 in a GT consists of:
Opel AT yoke welded in place of stock GT 4-speed yoke on stock GT 4-speed drive shaft cut down to 9.75" weld-to-weld length, or any other sourced pieces that result in the same end configuration. Based on two Getrag 240s in two of my GTs.
Otto

·
Super Moderator
5,296 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Getrag 240

Thanks Otto. I had posted the link to your page in an earlier reply, but there was still some controversy about some of the differences between the 240 and 265.

Do you happen to know if a GM corporate "standard" yoke will work in place of the auto yoke on the 240? Do you happen to know the input and output spline type on the 265?

Does the 265 have the separate bellhousing and the 240 the integral bellhousing, such as the two pictures above?

The shifter in the 265 seems quite different than the 240 (assuming I have the correct number for the pictures above). Can it be modified to fit a GT? Should anyone even attempt to use a 265 in a GT (unless there is a reason for extreme power output)?

By the way, I "fixed" the link that you had posted in your first reply. For some reason, the program added some characters to the string.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Super Moderator
13,582 Posts
Okay, I admit I suck. I went and checked out a few trannys to verify the fact that I'm wrong. Otto, Keith, you're absolutely right.

Bob
'Hanging his head in shame...maybe it's time to change cars':(

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Getrag 240 and 265

Side view of Tom's Getrag 240 (with bellhousing) and 265 (without bellhousing). It looks like the 265 tail piece is quite a bit longer, with an additional piece in the middle.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 146 Posts