Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had heard that the 5-speed getrag didn't work with the GM console in the GT because the console interfered with the 5th gear position. This GT is being sold by a Texas Opel Club member on ebay, it has the getrag in it. 1973 Opel : GT Item number: 2484962082 I have an ARA console/setup because I thought it was the one that worked with the 5-speed. Can anyone clear this up for me? Also, I never realised the back part of the GM set up was so different from the ARA. BTW rickomni, Nice Ride!! :) You should make more room!

Attachments

·
Opeler
77 Posts
Hi Jim, I will be putting a Getrag and ARA A/C in my car as well. I don't know if the GM A/C works with the Getrag but i know the ARA does. I have a friend who has this set up ARA+Getrag and he has difficulty putting the car in reverse. He suggested modifying the engine/transmission mounts slightly so the drivetraing is slghtly lower on the passenger side. HTH
Mauri

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Which A/C is which? Is this the ARA, or the GM console?

Attachments

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got word from the owner that with the console pictured, the GM console, 5th gear can be a little tricky to engage, but not impossible. He said with a little dremel tool work, it can be made better. So, the GM console will work but would requires a little modification to work better. So now we know!

·
Registered
2 Posts
short shifter for ARA consoole with Getrag 5 speed

Has anyone tried to rig up a "short shift" ( raising the pivot point on the shifter) configuration on the Getrag shifter to accommodate the ARA AC console?

·
Super Moderator
13,789 Posts
Has anyone tried to rig up a "short shift" ( raising the pivot point on the shifter) configuration on the Getrag shifter to accommodate the ARA AC console?
Not for that purpose (AC), but I have done the short throw shifter thing to a Getrag 240. Pretty simple, just cutting and rewelding for the most part.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/2986Z5

The first 7 pics are of a Getrag 240 shifter being modified.

·
1,875 Posts
Would it be possible to shorten the throw on a Getrag by simply removing length from the upper shift shaft (possibly an inch or so) and re-threading it to accept the shift knob again? I've often wondered that when driving my GT.

·
Super Moderator
13,789 Posts
Would it be possible to shorten the throw on a Getrag by simply removing length from the upper shift shaft (possibly an inch or so) and re-threading it to accept the shift knob again? I've often wondered that when driving my GT.
The upper section is hollow, except for the actual threaded portion. That's why I added a solid bar to the shifter in my pics. I could make it any length I wanted.

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,220 Posts
In my first run to Gil's with the NorCal Opelers and my first ride in a GT, the pale yellow car had a GM console and a Getrag. The owner, whose name escapes me, had to shift the console over (more like bash it with the side of the shifter) to get into 5th.

Ya know, even with a 4-speed and 3.44s, the noise at 65-70 mph isn't bad, especially with the original door cards I bought and what's left of the original sound deadening.

My crappy rear axle is louder than my engine at highway speeds. Going ***mph in my car to avoid getting crushed by a lifted PowerStroke Ford was an experience. The car is right in the powerband, so acceleration wasn't the problem. The howling and grinding from the axle was.

I saw an experiment that showed that locking up the front wheels is scary, but you can recover from that if you have enough skill. If the rear catastrophically locks up, you'd better be sure you and God have an understanding.

Going 85 at night and being passed in a GT is the most scared I've ever been in a car. But being crushed to death by semis with loaded trailers at 90mph was not an option, bum axle or no.

I have the new axle and all the parts now. No freeways until it's swapped.

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,220 Posts
And yes, I did replace the seal and gasket on the old axle. No leaks, topped up completely with thicker gear oil.

Just a bad axle.

·
Senior Contributor
5,042 Posts
Yes, I did it.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts