Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 72 Ascona that I just acquired had a pin drop out of the linkage attaching the shifter to the trans. I'm questioning whether the clip that was holding it is the right one, or if it should just be a standard e-clip like the one on its other end.

Office supplies Electric blue Office equipment Metal Bullet
Bicycle part Composite material Auto part Electric blue Synthetic rubber
Electric blue Wood Auto part Tree Gas

If it is the correct one, which end faces in - the open end or the closed one?

And if anyone has any tips for getting this puppy into such an unreachable place, I'm all ears!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The 72 Ascona that I just acquired had a pin drop out of the linkage attaching the shifter to the trans. I'm questioning whether the clip that was holding it is the right one, or if it should just be a standard e-clip like the one on its other end.

View attachment 438541 View attachment 438542 View attachment 438543

If it is the correct one, which end faces in - the open end or the closed one?

And if anyone has any tips for getting this puppy into such an unreachable place, I'm all ears!
I can’t say if it’s the right clip (looks like it should work) but the only way it would work is with the closed end going in so the blade slides down the slot.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,515 Posts
The lose clip is correct, the E-clip is wrong.

In the end, it doesn't make a difference. As long as the pin doesn't fall out while driving.

Dieter

Reactions: Justion337

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,515 Posts
Reactions: Opelmel

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Am I correct in assuming that the tranny has to be dropped for this. Finally got a good look at it from underneath, and it looks what's in there had to be bent to get it there. There doesn't seem to be enough side clearance to get the pin where it belongs.

·
Super Moderator
14,165 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that the tranny has to be dropped for this. Finally got a good look at it from underneath, and it looks what's in there had to be bent to get it there. There doesn't seem to be enough side clearance to get the pin where it belongs.
I’ve had to remove the shifter on a Getrag installed in an Ascona before. Just remove the rear transmission mount and lower the transmission slowly with a jack. You can leave the driveshaft installed even….again, lower slowly so it doesn’t slip out.

Anyway, this will give access to the shifter assembly. I’ve actually done this on the side of the road.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’ve had to remove the shifter on a Getrag installed in an Ascona before. Just remove the rear transmission mount and lower the transmission slowly with a jack. You can leave the driveshaft installed even….again, lower slowly so it doesn’t slip out.

Anyway, this will give access to the shifter assembly. I’ve actually done this on the side of the road.
Thanks, Bob! I'll give that a try.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No luck. It only dropped down about an inch, and the flanges around it wouldn't allow me to get the pin inserted. Guess it'll have to wait until I pull the engine.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The exhaust keeps the engine and transmission assembly from rotating any further. If you disconnect the down tubes from the header or the header from the cylinder head the transmission will drop lower a lot. Just don't overdo it our you may damage the engine mounts or jam the fan into the radiator.
Thomas
Thanks for the idea. Right now The Beast is in its cave, hibernating for the winter. I'll give this a try in spring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts