Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Opelnut
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the Legnths of the various bolts that attach the bellhousing on a getrag to the block. Took Getrag 5 sp out an the bolts seemed to have gotten misplaced.

:confused:

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,220 Posts
The easiest thing here is to just measure, since you are obviously working on it anyway. Where you have through holes, just make them long enough to stick out of the tapped hole. I don't know whether there are any blind holes, as a general rule the bolt length within the blind hole should be bolt dia times 1.5. Round up the total to the next full 5mm.

Dieter

·
Opelnut
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just kinda wierd about such things and wanted it put back to Exactly how it was before I took it apart. I have Opel Bolts from a parts car I scraped out but did not follow the rule of bag and tag on removal. So I can find close enough bolts for sure but wondered if some one could tell me exactly

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,220 Posts
If you follow my measuring/calculating directions, you will be factory original with a very low chance of being wrong. Metric bolts in this size over 20mm in length come only in 5mm intervals (for regular usage). They would not have used short bolts because of the danger of damaging the tap and the bolt coming lose, and they would not have used unnecessary long bolts because of cost and weight reasons.

Dieter

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Which hardness should be used?

·
Senior Contributor
5,023 Posts
8.8 should be fine for this application, although I don't remember exactly what the originals were. I do remember that the 4 speed bolts don't work for the Getrag, they are too short in a couple of spots. I ordered new ones from McMaster.

·
Opelnut
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Senior Contributor
5,023 Posts
Do you know the legnths you ordered? an possibably the part numbers?:confused:
Just was browsing through my order history to try and figure it out. Sorry no way, I ordered way too many bolts for all the applications on the car and it was all done as suggested above, by measuring required length. Just measure what you need. Conversion from inch to metric is 25.4 that is 1" = 25.4mm the 5mm increment available is equal to .197" which is just 10 thou. more than 3/16". HTH

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,405 Posts
need bolt size info for 72 GT, 1.9 L, Auto Transmission,
I need one bolt for the bell housing to engine that bolts in the bracket for the transmission fill pipe.

Are all bell housing bolts the same. If so I will try to find one and use it to get spares.

·
Super Moderator
9,716 Posts
need bolt size info for 72 GT, 1.9 L, Auto Transmission,
I need one bolt for the bell housing to engine that bolts in the bracket for the transmission fill pipe.

Are all bell housing bolts the same. If so I will try to find one and use it to get spares.
I think there are 4 "main" bolts that do all the basic work, and they are the same, one is the one that holds the tube for the auto Opels.

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,405 Posts
Thanks Gene.
Time to crawl under the beast and see what else is missing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts