Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up my "new" '75 Sportwagon yesterday. I'm getting ready to put a Getrag in and want to get all the conversion info in one thread. From what I gather:

The shifter mods are the same as the GT (without the tilt) - Yes

What is the weld to weld distance for the driveshaft? - 23 5/8 (60cm)

What needs to be done to the rear trans mount? - mounting point needs modifying

Will the stock 4-speed speedo cable fit? - Yes

What speedo drive gear do you need? - Blue

Edit: Quick answers are in Blue

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
Gary said:
I picked up my "new" '75 Sportwagon yesterday.
Ah, THAT'S the new toy that Gene speaks of! So that's why you have been shirking your administrator duties :)

Good plan to install a Getrag. An even BETTER plan would be to photo-document the revisions, and make it an "article". So I can do the same someday, and learn from your efforts.

So, how many '75 SportWagons on the board now? Mine, Gene's, yours...

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
getrag

Keith;
You need to attend the Carlisle meets, there are things that go on that you need to keep up to speed on.. :D :D
The manual drive shaft has to be shortened by 3 inches weld to weld, and an automatic yoke put on, the trans mount has to have mounting points made, you can use the stock speedo cable, and you need a blue drive gear

·
587 Posts
Grinding Getrag Bellhousing for S-10 Clutch

Gary & others, If you are going with the larger S-10 clutch assembly like many of us have done, the bellhousing will need to be ground down in one area. I used a picture Otto posted a while back & then took some pics as I did mine.

~ Tom

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
Just an FYI, the amount to be ground away varies greatly with the brand of clutch/pressure plate you use, and with the amount of material machined from the flywheel face. I've had some S-10/Getrag installations that required no relieving at all on the bellhousing.

Bob

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BQS4 said:
...The manual drive shaft has to be shortened by 3 inches weld to weld, and an automatic yoke put on,
So what is the final weld to weld distance? I'd rather go to the driveshaft shop with a hard number.

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Getrag conversion

Gary;
I measured a manual driveshaft and it's 26 5/8" (675mm or 67.5cm) from center-of-weld to center-of-weld. Shorten that by 3 inches and you get 23 5/8" (600mm or 60cm)

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
conversion

Gary;
When are you taking it in?

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
8 months later.... The Getrag with a "new" high comp motor is sitting in the wagon. Now the real fun begins.

Rear mount - The '75 trans mount bracket hits the rear of the trans and the getrag mount is and inch or 2 forward from the '75 mount. Is making a new mount from 1/4 flat stock the best way to go?

Also need a back-up light switch. Any ideas for sources? OGTS? BMW parts store? (What year and model had the 240 getrag?)

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
BMW 318i used the same basic tranny. As long as it had a Getrag they should be able to help.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Gary, after I built the tranny mount for the T-5 on the swap, using 1" X 2" square tubing, I screwed up and didn't measure it right. My corrective action was to use a piece of 1/4" plate 5" X 6" and weld it to the top edge of my new mount, then I centered the T-5 on the new mount and drilled the hole for the rubber mount. It worked for me, can't see any problem doing it that way. BTW I had to move the mount hole to the rear by 2 1/2". HTH.

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Gary;
There is a mount, it shows up on the German Ebay every now and then. It's shaped like a "U" and uses the stock bolt holes on the Manta/Ascona. I just got one in for another member. I can ask permission to get diminsions and a pic for you, if you like.
Gene

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
Gene,
That'd be good info for all of us planning this mod. Do you think there's a way to take a cheap standard tranny mount (like we used for the GT getrag conversion), and weld an adapter plate on it that would use the stock manta/ascona tranny mount holes?
Todd

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Todd;
I think that this is what that's for. You mount this bracket and get that GM TH350 trans block and you're set.

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
OK;
Here is the mount that allows you to mount the 5-spd in a Manta/Ascona using the stock bolt holes. I have also put a 800kb pic in the "Tech Data-misc" folder in the photo section for better detail. This one is made out of 1/4" steel, but, I'm sure other metals can be used, as to the thickness, I don't know. It will allow you to use whatever trans block you can get. Hope this helps out.
Gene

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
kwilford said:
Ah, THAT'S the new toy that Gene speaks of! So that's why you have been shirking your administrator duties :)

Good plan to install a Getrag. An even BETTER plan would be to photo-document the revisions, and make it an "article". So I can do the same someday, and learn from your efforts.

So, how many '75 SportWagons on the board now? Mine, Gene's, yours...
That would be a fine idea for you to do Gary, I was either going to put my other 5 speed into my 75 Ascona or in my $31 Manta Rallye, As for my 73 Ascona wagon which I am thinking of converting into a mini El Camino, (Manta front clip, with camino bed) it should get a 3.8 at least with 6 speed or automatic.
rk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts