Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,367 Posts
I pulled out the package of synchros I have. I have 10 of them. The GM part number is 90167959 and the Opel part number is 718975. You need 6 of them to change out all the synchros in a 240. The person I bought these from in Europe rebuilds the Opel 240 and he told me that the Opel version only used one type of synchro. This is different compared to the BMW version.

Product Font Circle Electric blue Fashion accessory

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,367 Posts
I wanted to try to provide the BMW part number for the synchro that is needed. Looking at the 318i and 318iS, below are BMW part numbers. The Getrag 240 is not a commonly rebuilt transmission anymore, pretty sure the last time BMW used it was in 1991 with the E30 318iS. For the Opel Frontera A, the last year it would have been possible to get a Getrag 240 with the 2.4L CIH was 1994. The Omega A stopped using the 2.4 after 1993, which would also end the use of the 240. So, we are talking about a 28+ year old transmission. I'm not surprised that finding parts for it is getting difficult, now that many have been rebuilt in recent years. The vast majority of parts would be NOS, from large warehouses. If someone wants to source parts to rebuild a Getrag 240, you are running out of time. I can easily see it becoming impossible to find certain parts, like synchros, in a few years from now for this transmission.

• 23231224431: looking at photos of this synchro, it could be a match. This synchro is getting harder to source and is likely the correct BMW part as a result. Two popular BMW parts companies that I know used to have this synchro are now out of stock. This is likely due to Charles and Jef Boite buying what they could. You can still find this synchro online for sale but it's harder to source.
  • 23231228241: looking at photos I could find of this synchro, it doesn't match the Opel parts I have.
  • 23231228242: This is supposed to be the synchro that replaced 23231224431. On eBay, I can find a listing that shows a similar synchro to what I have. On other BMW parts suppliers, the synchro looks different with deeper grooves. Not sure if compatible. BMW parts data for this says exchangeable retrospectively about these two synchros. I think that means -242 can be replaced with -431 but not the other way around.
Due to how rare this transmission is now and how hard it can be to source parts for it, I would say you're better off sending it to Metric Mechanic than trying to find someone local to do it. As I said before, this is NOT a cheap transmission to rebuild if you want to really overhaul it properly. If you don't want to spend like $4-5k having it shipped to Metric Mechanic and rebuilt, then you're probably better off pursuing a different 5 speed option that can be bought new. Charles might be able to provide a completely rebuilt one by Jef Boite, for pretty much $4k. Again, this is not a cheap transmission if you want it in really good condition and should last the life of your Opel. You get what you pay for. A cheap Getrag 240 is a questionable 240, no matter who you got it from.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,367 Posts
The last model with a Getrag 240 in Europe was the -88 Manta, Omegas and Fronteras used the R25 and MUA 5C-T.
Pretty sure my Getrag 240 came from a Frontera and not a 1988 Manta. Same goes for my 2.4L. I doubt you would part out a Manta if it could be saved. I can ask Rav to know for sure but I’m going to disagree with you. Also, the R25 doesn’t bolt right up to a CIH and Opel used the CIH in the Frontera until Opel stopped using the CIH. We actually have a forum member, I believe in Ireland, who has a Frontera with a 2.4 CIH and a Getrag 240. I joked with the guy that he could use it as the perfect donor for a GT and he said he’ll never do that to his Frontera.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You can disagree all you want, but the truth is that Omegas and Fronteras never came with a Getrag 240 from the factory. The statement that an R25 won't fit a CIH is also wrong, fact is that Omegas with a C30NE or a C24NE came with an R25 from the factory. In Germany Manta B's were regarded as laughing stock back in the 90's with countless Manta jokes circulating around, so parting a Manta for the Getrag was no big deal.
opel-infos.de
opel-infos.de
But I have to admit that Rekords were more popular engine and transmission donors than Mantas.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Note that Getrags are a solid and reliable transmission. I was gonna rebuild mine but it seemed fine so I’ll change the seals and call it good.

IMO if yours doesn’t have an issue then why rebuild it? All this discussion tends to create a sense of urgency that may be unwarranted. Leave the rare parts to the guys who need them. If it goes, and parts are unobtainable, there are other options that are cheaper than a rebuild anyway. Who knows, it could be that someone will repo them.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
3,367 Posts
Omegas and Fronteras never came with a Getrag 240 from the factory. The statement that an R25 won't fit a CIH is also wrong, fact is that Omegas with a C30NE or a C24NE came with an R25 from the factory.
Ok, I’ll admit I was wrong. Then BMW was the last to use it in 1991. Curious that we haven’t seen a lot of conversation about using the R25 then.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The reason for the lesser popularity of the R25 is the drive shaft that has no glide yoke in the transmission end, which requires a custom built solution. Modified Volvo drive shafts were mostly used because they had the glide in the middle. And the supply of 5-speed Rekord donors used to be good too so there was no reason to use the R25.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts