21 - 40 of 101 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks guys. This gives rise to a couple of more questions then:

1. Where on the diagram is this tube?

2. How can I tell if it's missing?

2a. If it's gone, wouldn't the tranny be leaking pretty heavily?

·
Super Moderator
9,816 Posts

Mel, the tube is inside the trans. You'd have to disassemble the trans to get to it. That's why I was lucky that mine fell through to the bottom of the trans

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Direkt aus Hecktriebler . . .

Mel
To add what Otto has said about the little tube coming out. I had this happen to one of my 5-spd, only I was lucky that the tube popped out and fell into the bottom of the case

. . . site's Getrag 240 Maintenance Manual from years ago. I condensed all the oil-tube related information and photos on five pages to the following two pages. The tube's tendency to come loose and fall out of the hole into which it was originally pressed is due primarily to the different heat expansion rates of the aluminum housing and the steel of the tube.

Though this written info's in German, the pics clearly show location and a suggested fix for keeping this tube (Rohr) in place. HTH

·
Registered
259 Posts
What about the u joints. I am assuming you had a drive shaft made for this car did they clock the u joints correctly. if not this will cause high speed vibrations even if it is balanced.

regards

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The puzzling aspect is that the vibration is ONLY in 5th gear. If I downshift to 4th it goes away. No matter what speed, no matter what rpm, it's only in 5th.

·
Super Moderator
9,816 Posts
Mel
There is a Getrag 240 on ebay right now. So far is at 100 + about 75 shipping. Might be something for parts down the road.
Hold up a sec John, that's a BMW version of the 240, won't work on Opels, but, maybe the inside parts would.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hold up a sec John, that's a BMW version of the 240, won't work on Opels, but, maybe the inside parts would.
That was always my understanding - that the case was different but the internals were the same. But then, I already said that I don't know much about trannies.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Uh . . .

Mel
There is a Getrag 240 on ebay right now. So far is at 100 + about 75 shipping. Might be something for parts down the road.
That was always my understanding - that the case was different but the internals were the same. But then, I already said that I don't know much about trannies.
. . . BMW gearbox is the Getrag 242, FYI. The ONLY difference is the bell housing, to the best of my knowledge, all the internals are identical. Over the years, I've sourced numerous parts at the local BMW dealer. They know this tranny well . . . it was in use for many years in BMW's 4-cyl models!

·
Super Moderator
14,629 Posts
. . . BMW gearbox is the Getrag 242, FYI. The ONLY difference is the bell housing, to the best of my knowledge, all the internals are identical. Over the years, I've sourced numerous parts at the local BMW dealer. They know this tranny well . . . it was in use for many years in BMW's 4-cyl models!
I'm sure the input shaft is different too...clutch spline and all that!

Not sure about the output shaft...is it splined or the traditional guibo joint that most BMWs run?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Now this is really getting confusing. Everything that I find on the 242 gearbox says that it's a 4 speed. Apparently BMW later created a 5 speed by bolting an overdrive box to the 242 (which retained the 242 stamping) and called it a 245/4

BMW 02-Series Buyer's Guide: Transmissions

My trusty local mechanic isn't that familiar with the tranny, but his off-the-cuff diagnosis after hearing my symptoms was either a problem with the counter-shaft for 5th gear or a bad bearing. Based on my limited skills in reading the diagram, it doesn't look like this tranny has a counter-shaft. Or does it?

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
5th gear vibration

I installed the 5 speed about 2 mo. ago, and have been chasing a vibration in 5th gear only also. I talked to Gil today to order parts to rebuild the torque tube assembly, He told me that in a GT ONLY, the 5 speed will create a harmonics at about 75-80 mph, that will resonate throughout the car, no cure for it, either drive below it or push thru it, which happens at about 85 mph. I guess I will have to add a little more lead to my shoe :haha::haha:

·
Opeler
964 Posts
I installed the 5 speed about 2 mo. ago, and have been chasing a vibration in 5th gear only also. I talked to Gil today to order parts to rebuild the torque tube assembly, He told me that in a GT ONLY, the 5 speed will create a harmonics at about 75-80 mph, that will resonate throughout the car, no cure for it, either drive below it or push thru it, which happens at about 85 mph. I guess I will have to add a little more lead to my shoe :haha::haha:
I had this right at 85 with mine. I had the trans mount provided by OGTS which is an aftermarket. I've since installed an OE trans mount for the Getrag, which actually lowers the trans slightly and changes the driveline angle. As a result, most of this vibration right at 85 has been eliminated. I can only contribute it to the mount since this was the only thing I did at the time.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I had this right at 85 with mine. I had the trans mount provided by OGTS which is an aftermarket. I've since installed an OE trans mount for the Getrag, which actually lowers the trans slightly and changes the driveline angle. As a result, most of this vibration right at 85 has been eliminated. I can only contribute it to the mount since this was the only thing I did at the time.
Where did you get the OE trans mount from ?? Thanks

21 - 40 of 101 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.