Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

after i had my Van stolen (race car and trailer and $2000 tools and stuff) I realized i did not have a Backup car

all these cars and none of them working

so to have a back up car i am working on the GT i saved from Pick-N-Pull

every system on this Car needs work
whoever worked on it failed to realize a patch together job is just going to come back a bite you in the A$$

this GT would not start
the starter solenoid had a bad solder job (i just replaced the solenoid)
Dist was worn (I replaced the Dist)

it had a solex (i put a weber on)

the vacuum line to the brake booster is heater hose

just all kinds of stuff

none of the items by them selves is major but they add up

its best to fix the car right and make it as close to factory as possible

well enough of that

All this leads to a few questions on parts
I am looking for the original type cloth covered brake booster vacuum hose.
The last one I bought I got from OGTS and it was pretty high dollar
anyone know where I can get this cloth covered hose?

any one have any experience on a good power Antenna

thanks in advance

Davegt74

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Man that sucks, do the police have any leads?

anyway about that brake booster line, on my current GT the line appears to be just a simple thick rubber hose from your favorite auto parts place, it isnt braided. But the brakes do work really well, much better than my last gt.

as for power antennas I installed one on my last gt. I got it from walmart and it lasted me the three years that I drove the car, it's probably still working. It looked rather clunky in the box but it fit nicely under the fender and I didn't have to enlarge the hole any.

HTH

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always forget about Walmart

thanks I'm going to head over there and check it out

stuff like power antennas and the best Brake booster hose used to be topics at our Opel meetings

But its been so long since I went to one.

Davegt74

·
Super Moderator
13,846 Posts
Dave, are you saying that your GT racecar was stolen, the one you got from Carl Goodpasture? If so, man, that REALLY sucks, you had a lot of time and money into that car.

Sorry to hear it, nothing I hate worse than a scumbag thief.....
Hope you find it.

Bob

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no the GT was not stolen it has a permanent place on Jack stands Ha Ha

The MR2 was stolen. I got the cars back after 3 Days but they got over $1500 worth of tools and stuff

I had been loading every thing up on Friday evenings and heading to Peterson AFB the next morning to use there Auto Hobby shop

guess someone was watching and knew that i had a loaded Van

it really sucks (besides every one saying your insurance covers it right) is having to buy tools over again

Oh well at least i got my Vehicles back

Davegt74

·
Super Moderator
13,846 Posts
I concur with those thoughts Dave...trying to replace tools you've spent years collecting is near impossible.

I for one, would completely get out of cars if my tools were stolen. I've been buying tools for 24 years (since I was 12), and a lot of the stuff I've got is no longer available, or custom-made, or just damn expensive. I did an evaluation for my insurance company about 10 years ago (complete with video) when I had
C & R, I had over $40k in tools including my sheet metal fabrication stuff and welders/power tools, etc. I really could never conceive starting over if it was all gone, I'd start another hobby like fishing or something!

Dave, hope you bounce back soon from this.

Bob
'Bought a new tool yesterday, a sheet-metal shrinker, because buying tools is an illness, and I'm one sick m****r f****r.'

·
Administrator
10,231 Posts
I know how you feel, Dave. I had my own auto repair shop back in the early '80's (Air cooled VW's - {sorry} ) It was broken into and they pried open my tool boxes and only took the specality tools. The ones you make or buy for that certain job. That was the straw that sent me back to a steady paycheck with benefits. Looking back now it probably was a good thing 'cuz those VW's rusted faster the Opels did.

·
Certified Opelholic
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah some nut put a Harbor fright a few blocks down the road

so now the bastards got a brand new portable Band saw

i figured who would steal a 88 Astro Van

hell they did not even bother stealing the radio

every day i realize something else that was in the van

like the TWM fuel rail

Crap

·
Opel Addicts
2,475 Posts
It really does suck. In '94 I had three cars stolen at the same time, along with most of my tools (that's what happens when you work all day - it gives them a lot of time to pull the job). I got back my original GT and my TR7, but lost a Jetta. There is no more sick a feeling than when you realize that they're GONE!!!!!

They put a Harbor Freight store in Akron. It's a lot like having your drug pusher move in across the street. Not good if you're trying to kick the habit. Nothing like a good dose of unemployment to help kick it though.

I think it's still less expensive than cigarettes.

Glad to hear that you at least got the cars back:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts