Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the time has come for me to dig into the '71 GT, I need to get the rear panel and the one below the back window to relplace the badly mangled ones on my '69 GT due to an accident long ago. But since the work is being done at my high school the school board says they can't touch gas tanks, which means i have to get it out myself before they can touch the car... especially before they can go at it with a torch. So i need to figure out how to get the gas tank out of a GT that is completely assembled, any tips from the pros here? i've started taking out some screws and a few pieces came out, and whatever you call it that holds the spare tire in. well did that after taking all the random parts that were stuffed behind the seats... that reminds me... anyone need some random parts? :D

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Brendon, The braces/brackets the spare tire shelf sit on need to be removed to get the fuel tank out easily. The nuts/washers for the studs on the braces are located in each rear wheel well. They may be hiding under the undercoating. Once those are removed and the bolts securing the fuel tank removed with their little plates, the tank comes straight up and forward to remove. HTH.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds easy enough, thanks, is there any little tricks or problems that tend to happen? something always seems to come up as a problem when your working on cars...

·
Detritus Maximus
3,691 Posts
Drain the tank, then fill it with water (leave the gas cap off), then drain the water into a couple of gas cans (this will constitute hazardous waste, so it will have to be disposed of properly). This will virtually eliminate fuel vapors. The last thing you need is left over fuel vapors in the back of the GT and to have a wrench slip and spark.

Might get a little warm back there....

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm pretty sure there aren't any vapours back there, the tank was emptied when it was parked about 25 years ago... sometime while it was there the fuel neck rusted through, or it was disconnected when it was parked, either way it isn't connected now, shouldn't it be all aired out by now?

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Tire tray dimensions

simplemind7 said:
Well the time has come for me to dig into the '71 GT, I need to get the rear panel and the one below the back window to relplace the badly mangled ones on my '69 GT due to an accident long ago. But since the work is being done at my high school the school board says they can't touch gas tanks, which means i have to get it out myself before they can touch the car... especially before they can go at it with a torch. So i need to figure out how to get the gas tank out of a GT that is completely assembled, any tips from the pros here? i've started taking out some screws and a few pieces came out, and whatever you call it that holds the spare tire in. well did that after taking all the random parts that were stuffed behind the seats... that reminds me... anyone need some random parts? :D
IN CASE you might need these, here's the dimensions for fabbing a new tire tray from marine (treated) plywood, including a rear mounted battery tray. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Original tire tray

simplemind7 said:
thanks, i've got 2 good ones now, but in case i find a way to destroy those while i'm putting it together i'm sure i'll need that... it could happen
If you ever have leaks back in the GT (back window seal), it will warp and swell the particle board of the original. :( This will start crumbling apart soon afterwards . . . ask me how I know. :eek: That's the real reason I posted this.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
have you ever heard of a metal tire tray? because... when i was taking all the parts out of the '69 it had a metal one... or is there a peice of wood that goes over it or something? i don't know much about the little things on the car like this so... is that from the factory or maybe someone made it up after, if it was made after then someone knew what they were doing because it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i got a little further with taking out my first gas tank today, i have the tire tray and everything before it out, with the exception of that metal shelf just below the back window, i don't know if they did it at the factory or someone else did, but its riveted in place... those aren't fun things to take out :( good thing it isn't in the way too much. i tried to disconnect the fuel neck with the ring clamps, but for some reason they weren't comming loose after i loosened them all the way, so by that time i was freezing cold and frustrated so i decided it was about time to stop working at it and go to school :D does anyone have some tips on getting pesky ring clamps off? and do you need to be able to take the gas cap off to take out the tank? because first of all, its frozen on and second, its one of the locking ones..... and the keys were lost many years ago..... :eek:

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Brendan, the clamps should move about the hose if they are loose, but the hose is a very snug fit around the tank neck and the filler neck. You should be able to pull the filler cap out of the hose, but with no keys, the cap will just spin, so you won't be able to twist it to break the seal of hose to neck. You could use a pair of slip joint pliers (waterpump) to try and break the seal of the hose to the metal tubes. On the rear shelf, I drilled out all the rivets and plan to install the shelf in with sheet metal screws. The shelf doesn't have to come out to get the tank out, but it is easier and you'll have more room too.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Cut It!

Brendan,

Just undo the hose clamps on the fuel filler connecting hose then use a box cutter to cut vertically down the inlet tube. Don't worry about destroying the hose as OGTS have new ones #9061 - $9.00 and a new one is a real good idea as the old one will probably be just a wee bit perished after 30+ years....
If you cut at the top of the hose then the filler tube with the gas cap attached will ( from memory!) come out up through the bodywork and you will be able to take it in to a lock smith to get a new key made. Have a look in search for "Gas Cap" as there is an article somewhere about repairing .. gas caps and locks!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stuck again.....

alright, i got a little delayed with the gas tank removal, but it HAS to be out within a week so i got back to it, but it really hates me, so heres a couple questions...

GTJIM said that i could just cut that hose that connects the filler neck to the tank, which isn't a problem, except it won't come out through the body like he said because there is some connector on the side that a hose attaches to, which will just hit the body, but i can't get it out the other way either, since there is the wider part that the cap fits onto... any suggestions? :confused:

on the passenger side i managed to get the 2 nuts off in the wheel well despite the fact that there was about an inch of undercoating over them... nicely preserved though. the drivers side undercoating is very hard and i can't seem to get it off to get to the bolts, any ideas? there is still one more bolt holding the gas tank to the bottom of the car, its the front one on the passenger side, its under that metal piece bolted to the wheel well because even though i got the nuts off its still stuck and won't come out, i've tried hitting it with a hammer... then a wrench... then a bigger hammer... then a big ****ing hammer.... then the 8 pound sledge and no luck, anyone else have this problem or an idea of how to get the damn thing out?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I believe the rubber gasket has to come out of the rear deck and the vent hose removed from the filler neck for the neck to come out the top of the rear deck. Also, one side of the tank rail with the nuts in the wheel well has 3 nuts on it, the other side has two, I don't remember which is which. And there are two bolts on each side of the tank flange that hold the tank to the rails. HTH.

·
356 Posts
I've been there recently...

The filler neck has a flange welded to it (it's below the deck)... flange diameter is larger than rear deck hole. Neck grommet/gasket comes off over top of neck. Gotta get cap off, or plan on cutting neck below cap & replacing neck later. :(

Not clear which bolt you're hitting with a hammer w/o success:
I recall the wheelwell/shelf brackets were welded studs, nutted on the outside... & that the bracket with the three studs was on the passenger side.
The tank bolts (4) to body/rails... I don't know if body is tapped, or if there's a weldnut behind it. Either way, if it's not unthreading, guess I'd try and knock/cut the head off with a chisel & fix it right later.
(the to-do list keeps growing... but at least the tank is almost out!)

-Dan

·
356 Posts
oops... 1 more idea B4 you cut the neck...

...one of my keys has a habit of pulling the tumbler from the cap & exposes the cap lock guts... worth a try for you!

-Dan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.