Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is similiar to how one might add an LED 3rd brake light....BUT I am using
red glow wire to be always on ..(when the lights are on).

What I am trying to do is this:I want the vent to glow red..(this is a neat feature of our cars that we should show off).It will add a soft indirect red light to the area..the small,flexible size means it will tuck up into the vent to hide the wire itself.

MY problem is :I don't know how to splice it into the proper power source.

do I A) cut thru the harness and find the grey and green wire which represents the license bulb power?IF so which wire is ground?which wire do I coonect the red transformer power supply to?

B) or do I somehow get power out of the taillights

PS:I plan to go thru the rubber windshield molding(internal) like Jimsky did to reach the vent(external)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
Bucky;
Unless the circuit calls for it's own ground, (most cases being something like stereo speakers) your ground is always the car body. If you have a factory wiring diagram, it shows the gray/green wire supplying power to the lisc. lamps, but, it's grounded to the body of the car. I don't know how much power is needed for the "glow wire", but, you can jump off, or splice, into the lisc. lamp and ground it to the nearby body. I think this is a cool idea, but, my question is, how long do these last? You have to make it easy enough to replace, when it burns out. The other thread about using the LED's is a cool idea too, I don't mind a third brakelight, but, hate the way a lot of them get designed into the car. Most look like they were just added on at the last minute.
Gene

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
glow wire is done

looks pretty good.The installation is hidden in the vent.There is not much room inside the vent...but I got it all to stay "tucked up".

(I was inspired by Jimsky's led brake light). TMine would not be bright enough for a brake... if wired so.this is just a soft glow...
It accents the vent...if I were to do it over..I would try to use a longer piece of glow wire for more light... but that may require more power. mine works fine on the gey/green license plate wire.

before this site...I did not know what a ground wire was..nor would I have had the nerve to cut into the wire harness.I sure learned a lot.thank you to all who answer and participate.

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went back and doubled my glow wire in the vent...I love the looks...but then again..I am a gt freak.

I have 2-5foot kits and 2 transformers..both are tapped into the
license plate wire..must not draw much power as I did not blow a fuse. In my prior post..in my first try I omnly used 5 foot..A little dim..go with 10..

PLUS: I just got my personalized kansas plate..it only costs $40 extra...

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
another photo

light is indirect...the glow wire is never seen..the steel backbone props it up...

Attachments

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
How did you run the wires into the vent area? I found a way to get wires up there but it is not an easy route. I posted the route I found in a forum for the LEDs in the roof top vents. Did you find a better, easier way? BTW, I like the look you get with the glow wire too.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
glow wire route

I did it the way Jimsky did,..i think...I took a high speed dremel and an
end cutting round bur..I drillied thru the rubber window molding..

my tool smokes as the bur clogged with rubber..that is better because it allowed me to feel the autraumtic path..you would not want to chip or crack your glass..I have 2 '-1/16inch holes..If I change my mind ,,i can always pull it and fill with black silicone and you will never see it.//each hole if for a power suppply..i am using 2- 10 feet of glow wire total..it looks cool

Exit at the corner of the last left vent.,,there is a small space between the glass and metal,,,

Attachments

·
184 Posts
I didn't ues a dremel or cut anything. I just ran the wire pair out the left most vent slot and over to the rear window rubber molding. I tucked the wires under the rubber molding and ran them down to the left bottom corner of the window. I probed the corner and found there was a gap between the window glass and the sheet metal window cutout. I routed the wires down through that gap, which put them in the rear trunk area over the gas tank. Used a bit of RTV in the corner for good luck. Since mine is a 3rd LED brake light I just hooked up the wires to the rear brake light. I didn't, cut drill or grind anything. The blowup below is taken from a low-res photo, but you can get the idea what I did.

Attachments

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
It looks pretty good, and a lot easier than the route I did. I may use that path for my LED lights I want to put in the vents, IF we get JJ to make a run of them. Thanks for the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts