Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Nur Fliegen ist schöner
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM marking below rear window

I was told last weekend, that the GM sign, (3 by 3 cm), I have on my GT, just center and below the rear window and above the fillercap is not originally:eek:. Anyone who knows anything about that ?

Searched the net, and until now I have only found on a few others
:confused: with the same sign

Have a beautyful 70 GT, imported from the US :p

Jesper DK

· Opel Addicts
2,479 Posts
The GM badge below the rear window was original on only the earlier models. I have one on my 69 and my 70. Over here the GT was sold by the GM, Buick Dealers.

Vickie

· Super Moderator
3,312 Posts
My original GT had that GM Badge right under the rear window. It seems it said "GM, Mark Of Excellence". I drove the car off the show room floor and it was there!

· Opel Key Master
5,591 Posts
GM badge

The GM badge was only on 69 and 70. Just a note to restorers, I noticed on a yellow 2005 GMC Canyon they have a small chrome GM emblem that looks to be about the same size. Would add a nice touch if you wanted to keep the emblem, and didn't care about originality.
Keith

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
"GM"

I have an inkling that the "GM" logo may be fitted to 1969 & 70 GTs sold in the US of A but not on European sold ones.
Base this on the thought that GM in the US of A wanted people to know that they were involved with Opel whereas in Europe Opel may have been a bit less eager to advertise the "GM" link .......
Just a thought .......... any one tell us if Euro GTs of 1969 & 70 had that badge??

· Registered
213 Posts
jordan said:
Shouldn't the seat belt emblems be different as well for the european opels with out the GM badge?
i have an opel badge, not GM on my seatbelts. :)
but i would much rather the car had more GM emblems, and less opel on it, opel is not a very reputable make here... atleast not anymore :rolleyes:

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Not only USA GTs

opelgtworld said:
No, only US GTs had that GM badge.
Had a troll through my mydrids of Opel pictures and did find a 1969-71 era Ascona and a Manta with the same GM badges on the fenders. So unless they were added at a later date that badge was also used on other US Opels too.

· GTer
206 Posts
GM emblem

A few months ago I also started a discussion concerning the GM emblem on the back of the car (see at the bottom of this forum page (GM logo by Pecje). Some told me that the logo appeared as well on the European as on the US cars. Others told the opposite. However after consulting a lot of original photo's of European 69 cars I'm convinced that they only belong on the US-cars. I bought such a logo but I don't think I'm going to install it on my car. Regarding the logo's on the seat belts: I'm still looking for original seat belts for a 69 European car. The only seat belts I've seen so far on the internet (Ebay) are all with the GM logo. Can anybody tell me how the European-spec seat belts look like? Do they show an opel logo?

Patrick

· www.opelgtworld.de
275 Posts
A few months ago I also started a discussion concerning the GM emblem on the back of the car (see at the bottom of this forum page (GM logo by Pecje). Some told me that the logo appeared as well on the European as on the US cars. Others told the opposite. However after consulting a lot of original photo's of European 69 cars I'm convinced that they only belong on the US-cars.

Catalog Nr. 1 76 786 E
Name Plate "GM" body back panel (only for USA)

· GTer
206 Posts
100% clear

OpelGTworld: Thanks for your 100% clear answer. I think what the logo concerns: end of discussion.:veryhappy
And for all the European GT owners: rip off all GM logo's!! (sorry for those who love and own the US GT-cars. I know it's hard, but for the authenticity of the European cars it's necessary)

Patrick

· www.opelgtworld.de
275 Posts
I have an inkling that the "GM" logo may be fitted to 1969 & 70 GTs sold in the US
Correct, the Name Plate "GM" was attached in model year 1969 and 1970.

...but not on European sold ones.
Base this on the thought that GM in the US of A wanted people to know that they were involved with Opel whereas in Europe Opel may have been a bit less eager to advertise the "GM" link .......
Just a thought .......... any one tell us if Euro GTs of 1969 & 70 had that badge??

I must correct myself here --> French GT`s in model year 1970 had that badge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.