Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boss was asking why I was looking so pissed off. I told him how much I hate living in New England, The golf season is to short and you can never tell what the weather is going to be like from day to day.

Just the other day it was 60 digrees outside and the forcast for a trip to the Cape this weekend was looking promising. Then comes old man winter, cold as a wiches nip and laying white stuff all over the greens.

So my boss advised me that I should pick up a second hobbie. Then proceeds to tell me he was cleaning out the garage this weekend and had a 1973 Opel GT.

He tells me it needs a little work I.E. brakes/muffuler and a it has few rust spots. but runs like 1973. If I want the car all I had to do is come and pick it up. My first reaction was what the hell is an Opel GT!

I know little about cars and will do what ever it takes to avoid working on them. I once made a deal with this kid a trip to McDonalds if he would put windshield fluid in my wifes car.

I looked up the car on the enternet and immeditly fell in love with it.

I´m willing to give this a try but the question is what the hell am I going to do with it ?

I wonder how many happy meals it will take to get this car ready for a show ? HELP !!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was going to start off with a bad joke of how you should load the car up on a trailer and bring it to me in wyoming, and that i would fill your wiper fluid resevoir for free, but i won´t.
That´s great that you fell in love with the car that is the first step.Being free you cant ask for a better price. I f you want to show this car perhaps taking it to a trusted or well known auto restorer would be best. Or if you don´t know of one ask around, just be sure to ask some of thier customers what they think of thier work! I think paying them off in Happy meals might be hard though.(i liked that one by the way)
If you´ve decided to do the work yourself buy a good manual and research everything, ask the tough questions or problems you run into here. Whole lot of smart people on this board that have been around these vehicles for a long time. All have thier areas of expertise and some just know everything.(unfortunately not me)To get aquainted with most prices and tips call the Opel GT Source at 1-800-OPELGTS ask them to send you a catalog and price sheet they are good guys.
I wish you the best of luck and loads of fun in your new hobby.
Clay

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Opel GT Source has an on-line catalog at www.opelgtsource.com

Where in MA are you? I´m in the S.E part of the state and currently have several GT´s (1 restored) and go to local shows all summer long. The NEOC is having their big meet in Boston in June.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in the central mass area. The bigest questions I have is how hard is it to find parts. Also this car will need body work, can you give a little information on this and how much it cost?? ?( ?(

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O´ya buy the way, I was serious about paying my macahnics off with happy meals. I have a group of kids that are licking there chops at the idea of getting this little ass kicker on the road. Thanks for the information !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts