Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Opeler
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found this thread on a BMW forum I visit and it reminds me of why I became a DIY'er and drive classic cars!

The Thread:
I have a 2013 328i that's only been driven 42k miles in 7 years.

I went to the dealership to get my rear brake pads replaced and got a quote for 4700 dollars worth of replacements that I need to make.

They are the following:

0. Replace rear brake pads, rotors and sensor. $834.55
1. Perform four wheel alignment (All tires worn below minimum specs) $239.95
2. Replace drive belt tensioner (Found belt(s) excessively glazed) $511.45
3. Mount and balance 2 new rear tires. $700.00
4. Mount and balance 2 new front tires. $614.48
5. Replace battery (Battery fails performance test) $540.30
6. Replace thrust arm bushing (Found control arm bushing(s) excessively worn/loose) $1011.26

I was going to get my brake pads and rotors replaced anyways so I just got those done and brought my car back to do further research before moving on with the rest. I'm going to discount tire tomorrow to get four new tires but have no idea about the rest. Do these sound like reasonable replacements for a 7 year 42k mile 328i?

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,469 Posts
I just looked up replacement parts costs for the brake job...... even with good quality parts costs. their labor rate is fairly high. But that is to be expected at a BMW dealership.

For the belt tensioner, it sounds like they are charging mostly labor for that. It would be best IMHO to take off the belt and spin the tensioner and examine for any roughness in the bearing or looseness. That matter needs more investigation than just looking at the belt IMHO.

The battery getting weak at 7 years would be quite normal. I've been getting 8 years typical on recent OEM batteries. If you are in a warm climate, then you might by with it for more time.

The bushings could be worn but at 42k miles and 7 years, that sounds very unusual. Do you drive through a lot of potholes?

I recall my sister got charged $42 for rear brake adjustment at a dealer back in 1983; that is like $110 now. Just one problem; that car had automatically adjusting brakes!

·
Vendor
2,516 Posts
I would also recommend that you shop around a little. I needed a new evaporator for the AC in my E46. Not a job I wanted to tackle so I called several local dealers and BMW shops in the area. Highest price was >$3K and best price a little more than half that price. BTW, >$500 for a battery is insane. Definitely a DIY job. The battery I bought for my E46 was <$150 from the Autozone. About 20 minutes to replace it.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
331 Posts
My Pharmacist at work has been taking her BMW to the dealership since she bought it new 10 years ago. She was telling me about upcoming maintenance expense at the BMW dealer. "You know what BMW stands for? Break My Wallet!" She did not think that was funny either. After a long moment of awkward silence and some of the "if looks could kill", I would not be here.

I recommended the independent BMW shop in our town. After getting new tires and recommended maintenance, she is back in love with her car. The car is paid for, she does not have to pay the dealer prices and no one is trying to push her into new car payments.

Later she told me how close she came to just selling the car, super cheap. I told her I should have bought it when she was at her low, back to the awkward silence.
Wow look at the time, gotta run.

·
Opeler
2,995 Posts
My daily driver is a 33-year old GM Cowboy Cadillac. Just replaced front brake bads with Autozone lifetime warranty pads. AutoZone pad set list pice is noted at $38.00. Lost my caliper grease, so I spent $8.62 for a replacement tube.

·
Über Genius
8,874 Posts
Found this thread on a BMW forum I visit and it reminds me of why I became a DIY'er and drive classic cars!

The Thread:
I have a 2013 328i that's only been driven 42k miles in 7 years.

I went to the dealership to get my rear brake pads replaced and got a quote for 4700 dollars worth of replacements that I need to make.

They are the following:

0. Replace rear brake pads, rotors and sensor. $834.55
1. Perform four wheel alignment (All tires worn below minimum specs) $239.95
2. Replace drive belt tensioner (Found belt(s) excessively glazed) $511.45
3. Mount and balance 2 new rear tires. $700.00
4. Mount and balance 2 new front tires. $614.48
5. Replace battery (Battery fails performance test) $540.30
6. Replace thrust arm bushing (Found control arm bushing(s) excessively worn/loose) $1011.26

I was going to get my brake pads and rotors replaced anyways so I just got those done and brought my car back to do further research before moving on with the rest. I'm going to discount tire tomorrow to get four new tires but have no idea about the rest. Do these sound like reasonable replacements for a 7 year 42k mile 328i?
I didn't pay that much to BUY my Mercedes.

·
Pedal Smasher
2,084 Posts
I'd expect nothing less from a BMW dealership. Some of that, you might be able to do yourself. Problems sometimes have cheap part costs but require a lot of labor. There is a common saying however, never own a BMW past the warranty. Good luck with your car, I'm sure you can get the repair costs down.

Old cars can be great when it comes to maintenance. Parts are normally cheap and are easy to work on. You might have to do more maintenance throughout the year, but it beats luxury car maintenance.

·
RunOpel
1,206 Posts
I don't know about everyone else, but I like working on my 1971 Opel GT original 1.9 engine a lot more than my wife's Honda Civic :) I'm just saying :sneaky:

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,469 Posts
Pulling engine or trannies in RWD cars so soooo much easier than FWD. The first time I swapped engines in a FWD was a Honda in the mid 80's..... it took 2-3 times as long.

·
Opel Addicts
2,459 Posts
I drive a 17 year old Cadillac DeVille. My wife like riding in it so well she made me buy her one, a 2006 DTS. It's amazing the difference in the ride and quality of the 2 cars. Even though they are old, they both look great and I get complements on them all the time. There's no way I'll do much to these cars, though. I won't even change the oil. Too complicated for me!

·
Detritus Maximus
2,138 Posts
Needing something for parts hauling and driving to work in inclement weather (because an '08 Mustang GT is NOT good in the snow...), I had to get a replacement for the old 86 Safari van that was becoming..erratic. So I decided I needed something newer and more reliable.
Voila!.....
1990 GMC Safari van. Its 4 years newer and I actually know how many miles are on it, unlike the 86. had it for one year and 10k miles. Easy and cheap to work on, but like an Opel, you need to watch out for the common age related maladies.
thumbnail2.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts