Opel GT Forum banner

google earth

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  ungermm 
#1 ·
hi has anyone used this yet ? its cool , some areas need better resolution(best is about 2M ) but i just phoned my aunt in FL to say she needs the lawn cutting :D

as an example this is an area 1 of our members will know straight away :D

im saying nothing about the mickey d's :D

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, its awesome. I wasted an hour today looking at places all over the world where Ive been. I can zoom in on the eiffel tower, the pyramids, Urqhart castle on Loch Ness. Its awesome

#6 ·
try a google search :D
its a small program you download and run
sat pics that zoom in to about 6 foot res which is enough to see if its a car or a truck

#7 ·
Thanks for the tip. I create my own maps for my earthquake, hurricane, tornado, and conflagration analysis projects and am always on the lookout for good hi-res sat photo sources to act as the base layer. And $400 per month is the best price I've seen.
Thanks

#8 ·
baz said:
as an example this is an area 1 of our members will know straight away :D

im saying nothing about the mickey d's :D
Missed my house by about 1 mile Baz. The pics must be more than 3 years old. they do not show my new garage.

#9 ·
just found out that goolge have uped the res so my house has gone from a gray and blue blob to this (the blue bit is the tarp over my gt btw and the white blob is my van so this is less than a year old
well its clear enough to me but i know what im looking at btw the big oblong is my garage and compresser shed so its 40'x14'

Attachments

#10 ·
dug out an old thread as its been updated for my area ,i think its time to clean up my yard :D

this is frankensprinnter, a nissan micra i had for 3 weeks and under the blue tarp botton center is frankenopel
the big box on the right with tyres on top is my garage

Attachments

#14 ·
ungermm;There are a lot of interesting beaches here in California though. :veryhappy[/QUOTE said:
Yes there are, IMHO the best beach in CA is in Capitola, just south of Santa Cruz. During the summer, they dam up the Soquel river and you can have either fresh water swimming or ocean just a hundred yards away. You can rent and take rowboats, canoes, paddle boats, or surf boards up the river, or the ocean, along with big truck inner tubes. My best summer years (high school), were spent there.

#20 ·
I'm not sure if that beach is the one I was thinking about. Could be. I remember a bunch of frat bros of mine went for a day, one had a family vacation beach house and told me that it overlooked a hidden nude beach just south of Santa Cruz. Don't remember if it had all those activities you mention Ron, I was too busy looking through the binoculars. I went to high school in San Jose and the place to have fun, get tanned, loose nickels in the arcade, ride the big dipper, skim board, and babe watch was Santa Cruz. Oh, those good ol days. And like the Beach
Boys said "wish they all could be California Girls" :veryhappy Jerry

#15 ·
the google earth is made up with photo's that are anything up to 9 years old , the new one of my house is 14 months old the old one is 7 years old , but im happy after all its free the pro version with almost up to date photos and better resolution is better but only any real use it businesses

i worked out the van in the old photo was a Honda prelude and the crashed one i used for engine parts for some one 7 years ago :p

#16 · (Edited)
Namba, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on your choice of best CA beach. I think the best spot has got to be Zuma Beach. It has a huge cliff face that you can do any type of rock climbing while listening to the waves crash below you. Has some good snorkling too. I once saw a feeding frenzy just off the beach with two whales a bunch of dolphins and I don't know how many seagulls. The surf is kinda a bore though.

Also be careful about Google Earth if you're on limited bandwidth, it will eat it up quick.

#18 ·
Not the best resolution where I live, but I like the blue and white points you can click and see photos from the area. Haven`t seen those before, but it`s been a while since the last time I checked. Wanna see photos from my home town and surroundings? Just type "Aalesund" and go.:)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.