Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I retired from the Post Office after 28 years at age 61.

This time I didn't prematurely retire out of despair over a friend's passing, a bacterial blood infection that made me crazy for a while, and not knowing all the facts about when they give me my pension, SS, and IRA money. This time it was all done legit and by the book.

I kept the pedal to the floor the whole way and didn't slack off. Today I had one of the most dreadful, horrible, problems to fix: A mysterious short circuit in miles of wiring and hundreds of devices and the problem could have been absolutely anywhere. I did not succeed, but I spent every one of those last 8 hours with my nose to the grindstone right to the end.

I loved what I did for a living and I had the most challenging and complicated machines to work on in the building. Even after 17 years on those machines I learned something new every week, which kept it interesting for me. My machine ranked nationally in the the top 25, out of 350, for the past 4 years.

I was one of the "10 percenters". The ten percent who do the work for the 90 percent who prefer to do nothing at all. I was known as Gordy the Guy Who Could Fix Anything. I feared no machine. Given enough information and parts, you could put the Space Shuttle in front of me and I'd take a crack at fixing it. Yes, I have failed. Yes, I have gone on wild goose chases following a completely wrong path. But, mostly I emerged victorious.

I'm scared schittless, financially, about retiring so early, but my right wrist has pretty bad arthritis and my eyesight is getting very poor for close up work. I've lived frugal and everything is paid for and a tenant takes care of the taxes and half the utilities, no wives or kids in my past, so I should be okay.

I have no plans at all for retirement and this virus year has changed the outlook for a long time to come. I'm going to live frugal, play with my car, walk in the woods, and paddle my kayak. Maybe I'll find a lady friend to kill some time with. Maybe I'll get a simple bullschitt job like stocking shelves in a supermarket, like my brother, or maybe I'll see if I can get into handyman work to keep me busy. Or maybe I'll just do not much of anything and just take it easy for a while.

:)

·
Detritus Maximus
2,233 Posts
Congratulations!

You should spend your time ferreting out hidden stashes of Opel parts...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Enjoy your retirement Gordon. But stay busy, retirement can suck if you get bored.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,712 Posts
Good for you, Gordo.... And good for you for doing the hard work that needs to be done and being dedicated....that is a treasured attribute in anyone, and one I put a high value upon. Taking pride in a job well done makes work a lot more rewarding. Man, the postal delivery speed is going to take big hit LOL. So was that a big sorting line that you were working on?

I am a couple of months behind you officially but already partly there... self-employed for the last 17 years. I could not have worked where there were a lot of slackers.. ran into that early in life and could not abide it. Ready to 'gently but firmly' kick butt on any of our installation projects for anyone laying back.

Am already seeing that 'all cars, all the time' is not enough. Same for too much of this internet silliness LOL

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Congratulations Gordon! Wish you the best of what retirement life can offer!

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm very resourceful and am very used to having my normal routine broken frequently. I have a high rpm motor and an extremely active mind. No life threatening conditions, just joint issues. I'll find something engaging in relatively short order 'cuz I can't tolerate boredom. That said, I satisfy easily with simple things. One plan is to dig up my backyard gardens and grow cherry tomatos, brussels sprouts, and okra. My backyard is the size of a one car garage, so I can't get too ambitious. I'm entertaining the thought of making custom GT dash and instrument panels like my car has.

·
342 Posts
How surreal I imagine parts of your days will feel through the next cpl weeks. I'm probably about a jealous decade behind your situation, so I'll just be quietly living vicariously through you..... looking forward to reading about exploring rabbit holes, unique tangents and other ways you find to occupy your new found time! Sincere congrats to you!! I hope they gave you cake and that it didn't suck!

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Vendor
2,590 Posts
Congratulations G-man,
I am a little past 2 years into retirement (went out at 60) and even though it sounds like a cliche, I am just as busy now, as I was then.
Take some time to decompress, and I'm guessing that you will have no trouble at all filling the hours. You seem to have a plethora of interests
in addition to the car stuff so I suspect you will be finding it difficult to decide which you want to pursue. I recall that you actually published a book a few years ago?
Perhaps time for a sequel? "Opels, Orchids, and Wackadoole Women"
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Congratulations! A job well done keeps yougoing so keep busy in retirement. I retired at 58 and have never been busier in my life, it's great and so is sleeping in. Enjoy yourself and keep challenging your noggin.

·
Über Genius
8,966 Posts
Why not go for permanent disability for your wrist? You can collect SNAP with zero income.

Reactions: MattsAwesomeStuff

·
Registered
839 Posts
Your are right to be proud of your work both at work and at home. You are going to be fine in retirement. You now can plan your day, every day and as many have said you'll wonder how you made time to go to work. You will find that now that you don't have to think about work you will have time to think about other things that just didn't have time to surface. Your only limit will be your budget. You'll have time for the garden. My tomatoes grown from seeds from my mother are as tall as me right now.

Other options will come to light. I could see you packing up and hitting the road, in the summer months, and traveling around as an "Opel Garage Squad". There are hundreds of Opels waiting for your magic. You have the tenant to hold the fort and you link up with a lovely lady and we are talking magic carpet rides.

Have fun because it is what you worked for all those years. It's ok to enjoy it.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Congratulations Gordo. Looks like you’re getting off the train with good timing! Listening to the rumble of the news talking about the US Post office not fairing so well.

I don’t think they’ll let you be a greeter at Walmart just yet, well at least not for another 25 years or so JK.
I’m 10 years away give or take and I think we do have to stay useful for as long as we can.

You seem to have a very good knack for writing. Perhaps slowing down, not getting caught up in the daily grind may give you new perspectives and different ideas for that.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I still have the mental energy of a 40 year old, but 40 years of wrenching and sports injuries have taken their toll on my joints. The Post Office is downsizing big time and Trump would love to close us down to spite Jeff Bezos and Amazon and to throw a wrench in the works for mail-in voting. So, it's a good time to go.

I thought about Disability. I'm not really incapacitated, I'm just too banged up for the difficult design nature of the PO machines, my co-workers sticking me with their work, and the everything is an emergency stress. I'm also quite capable of still working in a different field with less of the above. Disability might interfere with that.

I have an offer to buy a Gull Wing GT for me to Gordonize. We'll see.....

·
Registered
322 Posts
Congrats Gordo! I am going on 11 years retired and have loved almost every minute of it. If you stay active doing the various proclivities you enjoy, it takes little time to begin wondering how in the hell you EVER had time to work! Live life and love it!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Congratulations on a job well done Gordo. Enjoy your hard earned freedom. Your time is the most valuable thing you have. It's all fun and games to clown on you, but I want you to know that our members hold you in the highest respect and wish you the best.

·
RunOpel
1,253 Posts
Well I will throw my two cents in and say CONGRATULATIONS to a super and awesome person who certainly deserves to take it a little easier after a long and honorable carrier. I couldn't agree with you more in working hard and not slacking. It seems we have lost the concept of a worker giving their all.

You will have no trouble staying busy, because that is your nature and you have demonstrated that your entire life. We all know you will stay active with your Opel :) I for one would like to see you do some writing. You have the skills and ability to maybe write a book. Whatever you decide to do, as others have already commented, stay active and keep your mind busy.

Again, enjoy retirement :) It has been a pleasure to share Opel life with you.

·
Living in the past
2,289 Posts
Well I will throw my two cents in and say CONGRATULATIONS to a super and awesome person who certainly deserves to take it a little easier after a long and honorable carrier. I couldn't agree with you more in working hard and not slacking. It seems we have lost the concept of a worker giving their all.

You will have no trouble staying busy, because that is your nature and you have demonstrated that your entire life. We all know you will stay active with your Opel :) I for one would like to see you do some writing. You have the skills and ability to maybe write a book. Whatever you decide to do, as others have already commented, stay active and keep your mind busy.

Again, enjoy retirement :) It has been a pleasure to share Opel life with you.
When all this virus mess has settled down and travel is somewhat safe again, take a trip to Germany, (fall is the best time to go) get some great food, great beer and get your wenner snitzelled by a lovely thick damzel on a river cruise. Take in the sights at the Opel factory tour and take lots of pictures because it all may change once the french get their grubby paws on the place. Buy lots of whack-a- dos that are Opel related to add to your collection and enjoy being able to just relax and enjoy a lovely country full of great things to do and nice people to do them with.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts