Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Congratulations Gordon, I think you will find that being retired is great. I have been retired for almost 12 years, it really is great. My company cut me loose after 42 years of employment. All the perishable departments lost their Directors of Merchandising. They paid me almost a year of pay, so needless to say I was happy. I was going to retire in October, but they paid me all the way through November. Good Deal.

Bob

·
Opeler
466 Posts
Congratulations, Gordo! I retired last year, and am still getting used to it, but in a good way. You will enjoy it, I'm sure. you can do what you want, when you want, or do nothing at all. Just keep active, that helps.

·
1,697 Posts
I retired in 2009, spent about a year taking care of old projects around the house. Got bored with that and messed with the GT. Took the GT on a bucket list trip the OMC Picnic and Nationals at Monterey CA, in 2010. Broke the exhaust system at night between Cheyenne & Laramie WY. Fun Trip. Got bored not working and took a part time job with a re-mail company driving a van to pick up tubs and trays of mail and bringing them back to shop for sorting. Best part of that job was I let them know up front I did not have to be there and would take no BS. Left that job before virus outbreak and went back to house project. Now have much needed bathroom in basement. My advice, do as you damm well please.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Congrats on retirement, Gordo! I retired at 58, wasn't planning to but someone made me an offer on my business that was about double what I thought it was worth. I'm loving every minute of it. Had the same financial worries at first, but now at 65 I just started to collect social security and that makes all the difference. So fuggetaboutit and enjoy working on your Opels!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Holy crap! All y'all are OLD!!!! Hahaha Just picking.

Congrats, Gordon! Enjoy life!
Now you can open your own business and reap the benefits! Picture it!
Gordon's Chroming and Opel Wonder Emporium

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Adding to the earlier comment that "retirement can suck if you get bored", I concur. But I have to say that that almost never happens to me. I did a rotisserie restoration on a '69 AMX, restoring it to showroom condition (NOS parts and all) which took a couple of years, then spent a couple more years taking it around the country to car shows. After I won top honors at the National AMC show I sold it and bought another car. Between that, the Opel and working on and traveling in my motor home, there's always something to do.

Don't ask me to work on the house though... now that's boring!

·
Über Genius
8,966 Posts
I am considering retiring soon. I just have to win the lottery first.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Damn all you guys! I still have 18 years to go before retirement!!!!!! Grrrr

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm placing my order for a custom Sci-fi Guy dash cover for my Manta. I'm going to look for a big box for it right now.

·
Senior Contributor
4,977 Posts
Good deal Gordo, I am glad you got out while you can still enjoy yourself. The virus has screwed things up a little bit but other than that retired life is awesome and I am sure you will like it too. When the virus goes away you are welcome to take a ride to The Villages, FL but beware......you may never want to leave. There is so much to do here you have to limit your involvement or it becomes to hectic. PS: I liked your answer to going on disability.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hey Jeff, I sent you a "Conversation" message to talk about Megasquirt. Click on your icon and Conversations should come up and select that. I need to talk to you on the phone.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm placing my order for a custom Sci-fi Guy dash cover for my Manta. I'm going to look for a big box for it right now.
I had actually chopped up the Manta I had and carved out the dash section to do just that: Make a Manta dash in my basement using that as my build platform. When done I was then going to transfer it to the Manta wagon I had bought.

Alas, no room on my property for another car and my wrist injury deleted that project. I could certainly help you make your own. It's a fun project that's not hard to do and you can add all sorts of modern features.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I had actually chopped up the Manta I had and carved out the dash section to do just that: Make a Manta dash in my basement using that as my build platform. When done I was then going to transfer it to the Manta wagon I had bought.

Alas, no room on my property for another car and my wrist injury deleted that project. I could certainly help you make your own. It's a fun project that's not hard to do and you can add all sorts of modern features.
Do you know what ever happened to those wagons? Those were a good buy, they were in very good shape rust wise if I remember correctly😊

·
Super Moderator
13,490 Posts
Do you know what ever happened to those wagons? Those were a good buy, they were in very good shape rust wise if I remember correctly😊
They both ended up in New Hampshire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats Gordo! Time to make some more YouTube videos of your GT and build that MicroSquirt setup with a digital dash! I'd love to see ya tinker on one of those PiDash clusters with a 1280x400 screen that fills the whole instrument panel and uses the CANbus output from your ECU which cleans up a lot of extra sensor wiring on your show car. I'm working on this setup but still stripping down the Manta for paint till my awesome Goin 2.5L gets built. I've still got 15 years before I can go full time forum tinkering posts so kinda jealous!

·
Certified Opelholic
1,463 Posts
congrats and welcome to the club, I got my military blue ID card 3 weeks ago
Friday I got a letter from mil pay saying I wont get paid until August, man they sure are sneaky (they always have an angle)
I am debating if I will call them later today and say listen I already earned the retirement pay and it was due July 1
but we know how that will go.
at first you will try to maintain your current standard of living but you will slowly learn how to cut back
like not buying bottle water for example
what you called 10 % I call heavy lifters, basically the people that get stuff done instead of sitting at a computer
the shop that was in Iraq

after Aug I get to pay off the $14K I owe to CC company so maybe some time next year I will be back into cars

again congrats

·
1000 Post Club
4,109 Posts
Congrats Gordo. I know you will be fine in retirement. I only have 4 yrs and 7 months and 10 days to go, not that I'm counting!!

You will have more projects to do than you can shake a stick at!! Possible Gull Wing GT in Gordo's hands?? Taking it up a notch!!! Good Luck!!!

Reactions: davegt27

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congrats Gordo. I know you will be fine in retirement. I only have 4 yrs and 7 months and 10 days to go, not that I'm counting!!

You will have more projects to do than you can shake a stick at!! Possible Gull Wing GT in Gordo's hands?? Taking it up a notch!!! Good Luck!!!
Are you burning up your sick time

21 - 40 of 64 Posts