Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 60 of 382 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Body kit stuff fitted

Yesterday I positioned and bolted the hood window to the hood and installed hood bumpers on the cowling(Lenk hoods don't fit very well and they don't make contact with the oem hood bumpers on the sides of the hood opening very well, if at all.).

Today my mission was to install the wing that came with the kit. You may recall that I was working on a mod to make it flip up to make filling the tank easier. Everything was going fine with that until I tried to flip it up. As I had feared, when I was doing the mod on my workbench, the down-turned tips of the wing hit the body. I'll have to conjure a not-ugly way to elevate the wing feet about 1" higher. No problem, I anticipated this problem, I'll figure something out.

It was a rare warm day before the Canadians open their refrigerator doors and send us the correct cold air we're supposed to have at this time of year, so I decided to loosely fit the headlights and Lenk grill, so that you and I can see the whole Parsget and Lenk body kit stuff on the car and make note of adjustments that I'll have to make in the future.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Yellow

Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Hood

Car Vehicle Window Tire Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Tire Hood Automotive lighting Window Automotive tire

·
Registered
679 Posts
I don't know if its some of the shadows playing tricks on my eyes or not. I'm seeing two different shades of yellow. Did they spray some of the loose details with a different primer? Not trying to be critical Gordo, just surprised.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I don't know if its some of the shadows playing tricks on my eyes or not. I'm seeing two different shades of yellow. Did they spray some of the loose details with a different primer? Not trying to be critical Gordo, just surprised.
I thought the same but figured he would have said something

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
They ran out of yellow paint and had to call another shop to get more. Color variances on my cars are the story of my Opel life. The bumper is a different color yellow from a previous car. I guess it's the grill you're talking about, yeah, it seems a bit darker yellow.......in places. I had to use the camera flash to eliminate sun shadows, so maybe that has a part to play.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yep that's what I was seeing.
But once all the pieces are installed it may not be a bad thing to have a little color difference just to break things up ever so slightly
Either way still lookin better than I would have imagined

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
1,096 Posts
Nice Work Gordon - feel certain it will turn out a master piece and even more certain that you will enjoy every minute of
" The Build." As you already know you are just starting the fun part of the project. very jealous..... lots of pictures...

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Some more wing work...

I'm determined to make the wing on this car flip up, but it's fighting me tooth and nail. I don't want to alter the wing or it's feet, though, and just use an added hinge concept. I couldn't do any work on the car until it came back from the shop and had to do things "theoretically" on my workbench. After installing my work bench idea, the down turned tips of the wing hit the body as the hinging makes them arc. I was afraid they would. So, today I fiddled around with figuring out how much higher the wing would need to sit so as not to hit the body. Schitt, a whole 1.25" or so.

I could make new, taller, feet out of wood and paint them yellow. I've made wood feet before on a previous wing. I could replace the existing feet with tubular stilts paint yellow(Imagine the stand-offs in the pics replacing the feet as taller cylinders painted yellow). I could say, "Screw this hinge idea!" and hold the wing on with heavy duty outdoor grade velcro and rip it off and lay it on the ground every time I fill the tank. Yeah, that sucks. I AM a woodworker kind of guy, so I really should bite the bullet and take a crack at making taller replacement feet. Back to the drawing board.....

View attachment 440272

View attachment 440273

View attachment 440274

View attachment 440275

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Fitting the dashboard

Another project was to fit the custom dash I made. Like the wing, it's fighting me tooth and nail, also. The dash top seems to be 1/2"-1" too wide. Apparently the firewall from my old car, that I used to mock it up, and was patched back together(I had to chop it down the middle to get it in my SUV) was a bit wider than an oem car. Just a little, but enough to cause a giant PIA. I may have to "UN-upholster" it at the ends and chop 1/2" off of each side. Uurrgghh. Oh well, that's customizing for you: Sometimes you have to customize your customizations......

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Wheel Tire

Motor vehicle Yellow Automotive exterior Gas Vehicle

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Yellow

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Trunk Yellow Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Other than from a (convenience) stand point does the wing have to go fully up to a 90 degree angle? You just need enough room to get the nozzle in and when it's in the wing could rest on the rubber cover of the nozzle while your filling.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,693 Posts
HDPE cannot be painted, but it can be gotten in black or yellow, or black/yellow/black or yellow/black/yellow. Might take some searching to find colors by the square foot.
But it works nicely with machine tools and routers. It can be polished smooth on the cut edges with a torch, but carefully so it doesn't bubble.

Reactions: terrylewisac

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
They also offered translucent pieces as well but only in 1/8 thick pieces so he would have to cut multiples to get his 1" or more he needs

·
Detritus Maximus
3,693 Posts
The Kingstar Marine HDPE comes in black and 1".
Acrylic and the other plastics are not really good for what Gordon needs/wants. They are either brittle or difficult to work. McMaster has black nylon in 1.25".

One thing about HDPE, it is dense. If try to run a wood, sheet metal or drywall type screw into it without predrilling, the screw can bind up and shear the head off. The longer the screw, the more likely. You can embed various types of threaded metal anchors (like the threaded brass ones used in furniture) into it. Just don't over tighten and strip the threads in the HDPE.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Another option would be something like this and for the side that needs to disengage to flip up you could use a quick release type bolt similar to mountain bike wheel quick releases.

·
Detritus Maximus
3,693 Posts
Another option
Those are pretty short in both directions with only a small amount of adjustment. Not sure they would hold something the size of Gordons. I have some along with a couple of the spoilers. The other issue with them is they are a little fragile and can crack. several of the guys on the Mustang forum have had issues. But you could make something similar and taller/longer.

• Wow
41 - 60 of 382 Posts