Opel GT Forum banner
61 - 80 of 382 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
All great suggestions, I'll add them to my food for thought smorgasbord.

One hinge idea I had considered was strap, gate, shutter, etc. At least one leaf would need to be about 5"-6" long. Considering the foot height issue, I may get better results if the hinges were at the bottom of the feet between the feet and the car and directly attach one leaf of the hinge to the car and the other leaf to the wing assembly. I need to do some mock up tests to see if that's a better option. Here's some choices I found on Ebay:

Stainless Steel Shutter Hinges-Many Offsets Available x 2 pcs | eBay

180° 3-Way Adjustable Strap Hinges - For Wooden Gates up to 770 lbs - Multiple S | eBay

8" Polished Stainless Steel Strap Hinge | eBay

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Dash Install Redux
My first attempt at installing the custom dash, a few posts ago, revealed that I had made it too wide. I performed "open dash surgery" and lopped 1" off of each side and stitched it back together. It fit better this time around, but the center seemed too high at the instrument panel face. I compared with my other car and the vertical supports were 1" higher on this car. I chopped 1" off both of them and now the proportions look better. I have to wait for some peel and stick firewall insulation/sound deadening stuff to arrive at the end of the month and cover both sides of the firewall before I can permanently install the heater, instrument panels, carpet, etc.

It's cold outside, I'm not getting much work done. I finished putting the head back on the GTX car and still have to bolt the FI system and various widgets back on and give it a test start. It's the holidays and my motivation is low. Hopefully I'll find the inspiration to finish the other car before the new year.
🙂

Motor vehicle Yellow Vehicle Engineering Gas

Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,736 Posts
That Kitty Cat would make a nice furred dash pad :p 💩
Dieter

• Haha
Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,736 Posts
Another hinge idea:

Font Line Slope Parallel Automotive lighting

Dieter

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,736 Posts
Now THIS is a KILLER!!! (y)(y)(y)

Dieter

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Headlamp

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I'll probably paint the whole inside black. I plan on wrapping the sides that stick up above the body with mirror finish stainless sheet metal. I don't know if I'll be able to wrap the sheet metal in a single piece all the way around the front with a round opening for the light to come out, trying to cut a round hole in stainless sheet metal would be very difficult. I'll probably end up doing two pieces just on the sides, leaving a rectangular opening. Depth is a problem because of the "bucket" in the car, it's only 3"-4" below the front of the opening.

I spent a lot of time working on this trying to figure out where to put the hinge. The best place would have been just below the lip at the back of the opening. But then I noticed the two flat, paralllel, spots on the sides of the headlight bucket and two mysterious holes in them. I rigged up a pivot to use those holes and.....viola'.....those holes were the perfect place for the headlights to pivot at the middle of the sides. Clearly, Opel had intended the headlights to pop up and pivot there, but they must have scrapped the idea. The hoop that holds the oem 6" headlights was another giveaway. At the bottom of it, where it contacts the flat part of the headlight assembly, you'll notice that it's not bent correctly to meet the metal and the gap has been filled with seam sealer. VERY un-German to do that. Maybe we can blame the French. If the hoop was bent forward, so that the bottom bend met the flat of the assembly correctly, that would have set the headlight hoop at the correct angle for pop-up headlights. My 2.5" LED headlights only require that the headlights pop-up 3"-4". Although the pics don't show it very well, the flats of the headlight assembly are parallel to the ground. Although that is nice, the pivot in the middle idea leaves that gaping gap between the body and the headlight assembly at the back.

But there IS another way to make the headlights pop up AND look good at the same time. Better than my configuration. If someone created a pivot point all the way at the back, where the rotator mechanism bolts to, and extend "arms" or flat metal forward to bolt to where the rotator bolts to the headlight assembly, then, with the pivot point set 3"-4" farther back from the opening, the headlight assembly would tend to lift straight up at the back of the opening and not arc towards it and hit the opening. You probably can't envision what I'm talking about, but I spent many hours making drawings and contemplating different styles of hinges. Every idea had the problem of the headlight assembly hitting the opening. When I saw that the pivot in the middle idea virtually eliminated the chance of the headlight assembly hitting the opening I quit while I was ahead. The pivot in the middle idea allows the headlight assembly to pivot almost straight up, which allows lots of access to bolts things in place and make adjustments. Here's one of my "secret" design and development pics showing how the headlight can point straight up:

View attachment 440427

·
Vendor
3,477 Posts
I'll probably paint the whole inside black. I plan on wrapping the sides that stick up above the body with mirror finish stainless sheet metal. I don't know if I'll be able to wrap the sheet metal in a single piece all the way around the front with a round opening for the light to come out, trying to cut a round hole in stainless sheet metal would be very difficult. I'll probably end up doing two pieces just on the sides, leaving a rectangular opening. Depth is a problem because of the "bucket" in the car, it's only 3"-4" below the front of the opening.

I spent a lot of time working on this trying to figure out where to put the hinge. Every idea had the headlights either hitting the opening or coming so darn close that adjustment would have been a nightmare. The best place would have been just below the lip at the back of the opening, but that would have required precision welding of a hinge bracket or hinge only to the body metal. Room for error was zilch. But then I noticed the two flat, paralllel, spots on the sides of the headlight bucket and two mysterious holes in them. I rigged up a pivot to use those holes and.....viola'.....those holes were the perfect place for the headlights to pivot at the middle of the sides. Clearly, Opel had intended the headlights to pop up and pivot there, but they must have scrapped the idea. The hoop that holds the oem 6" headlights was another giveaway. At the bottom of it, where it contacts the flat part of the headlight assembly, you'll notice that it's not bent correctly to meet the metal and the gap has been filled with seam sealer. VERY un-German to do that. Maybe we can blame the French. If the hoop was bent forward, so that the bottom bend met the flat of the assembly correctly, that would have set the headlight hoop at the correct angle for pop-up headlights. My 2.5" LED headlights only require that the headlights pop-up 3"-4". Although the pics don't show it very well, the flats of the headlight assembly are parallel to the ground. Although that is nice, the pivot in the middle idea leaves that gaping gap between the body and the headlight assembly at the back.

But there IS another way to make the headlights pop up AND look good at the same time. Better than my configuration. If someone created a pivot point all the way at the back, where the rotator mechanism bolts to, and extend "arms" or flat metal forward to bolt to where the rotator bolts to the headlight assembly, then, with the pivot point set 3"-4" farther back from the opening, the headlight assembly would tend to lift straight up at the back of the opening and not arc towards it and hit the opening. You probably can't envision what I'm talking about, but I spent many hours making drawings and contemplating different styles of hinges. Every idea had the problem of the headlight assembly hitting the opening. When I saw that the pivot in the middle idea virtually eliminated the chance of the headlight assembly hitting the opening I quit while I was ahead. The pivot in the middle idea allows the headlight assembly to pivot almost straight up, which allows lots of access to bolts things in place and make adjustments. Here's one of my "secret" design and development pics showing how the headlight can point straight up:

View attachment 440427

And both headlights lit up.....

View attachment 440428

And an early preliminary test of aiming them. Later adjustments got them just right......

View attachment 440429
Really unique headlight mod, Gordon. I haven't seen anything like this done before on a GT. Also, I like the way the illuminated screen takes on the shape of a GT. :geek:
Tire Car Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle

·
Opeler
1,399 Posts
I love the original way that the headlights work and operate, they garner so much attention and are one of the things that makes these cars special. Lots and lots of cars have had pop-up lights.
Good luck with this modification, but if it can’t be made to work, the original way sure isn’t a consolation prize in my eyes.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
Just couldn't help criticizing it, could ya? Yeah, yeah, the rolly polly headlights are the best part of the car, everyone loves them, everyone wants you to flip them, crowds swarm around the car to see it do it's trick.

Well, I'll tell ya, from 1980 to 2020 I never had a GT with decent working or working at all headlights. That's 40 years of not having flip over headlights. They've been a big PIA my entire Opel life and I f'n hate'em. The Red Baron's headlights would never flip without doing unjustifiable massive bodywork on the right front fender. Same deal with my long time yellow GT that I drove for 20 years. My GTX car came to me 15 years ago with the tunnel mod already done, so I made them work, and they have been 100% trouble free and awesome. I make modified cars, I have chosen to mod them the way the factory intended to make them, but failed. I succeeded. It's an unusual mod that no one that we know of has ever accomplished. So, it's a feather in my cap.

I don't care if you and the others who agree with you don't like it.

:mad:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
LOL If it makes you feel any better Gordon, Just about everyone of my neighbors/friends who have seen my gt or come over to look at it surprisingly had no idea the lights rolled over to turn on anyway. In fact they were mostly under the impression that they just flipped up like your doing.
And even funnier than that they couldn't get over the fact that it was controlled mechanically and not on some type of vacuum or electronic apparatus.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I agree with Gordon overall on the shortcomings of our headlights, although they are cool. My 50 year old (re-wired) headlights, Just the re-wiring under the hood being the only issue are still working fine with a few minor adjustments and maintenance done to them over the years.
I don’t like driving my GT at night and if it’s just a short drive to the store I’ll take another car. What gets in the way honestly is the clunking and the awkwardness of the headlights, along with the anticipation of something going south with all those micro switches etc. I’m amazed that they have not had any lingering problems. I do take it out on longer trips at night because it’s important to keep everything moving mechanically and not let things stiffen up.
They’re great for show, and there’s an argument to be had for their uniqueness, but less enthusiastic for the owner (me) while flipping them.

I like the mod, you have successfully retained the headlights without losing original look in the front. The only thing that I’d like to see improved is more of a housing around the headlights to hide the wiring and mechanical stuff seen in the pics. I would imagine you will eventually address that anyway since your car is still in its beginning stages.

·
Über Genius
10,020 Posts
With Gordo's fab skills, I envision a chrome backsplash that closes off the former rotator recess . With the angle that the headlights pop up, there's plenty of clearance for something like that. It would finish it off really pretty too.

61 - 80 of 382 Posts