Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
The welds lasted 25 years until I revealed them, so I'm not worried or motivated to do anything about them. My recent blasting and immediate epoxy priming by a company that sells industrial metal worldwide, seems well done, so I should have a good foundation. No one knew those welds were there for 25 years and after it's puttied and painted no one but me and you guys will know they are there. The car will serve as a nice platform for me to do the mod experiments and fun stuff that I bought the car for.

Today I went back to the body shop with some cans of epoxy primer, a vacuum, and some tools to take care of some places that the blaster missed when he primed it. There are so many nooks and crannies in a GT and areas that only a long-time GTer would know that need extra special attention. I started with vacuuming blasting grit that had trickled into hidden areas and thought I got it all, but then I asked to borrow an air gun to make sure I got it all. Holy Bejeesus, you wouldn't believe how much stuff came out of the seat mount rails, the luggage shelf support, and the other areas I had vacuumed thoroughly! And I didn't even have them blast the interior! Like TWO CUPS worth. I was at it for THREE HOURS. Finally I couldn't make any more grit and blasted off putty come out. Then I got busy with the Eastwood epoxy primer in a can and I climbed into the nose of the car and sealed up that hard to reach area, plus the door hinge compartments, the lower flow-through vent compartments, the below the side rear window compartments, and especially the hard to reach areas inside the doors. They did a pretty good job priming the inside rear of the car near the tail lights, which has lots of places for rust and water to hide. I had previously heavily POR15'd that area also. When it comes back from paint I'll still hit those same areas with yellow spray paint 'cuz you can't realistically expect any painter to get totally anal with paint and rust sealing/prevention in ridiculously hard to reach areas. Might as well do everything I can while it's totally stripped, 'cuz I ain't gonna wanna do it later when it's all put together.

:)

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Ha! Ha! Yuk! Yuk! That idea did occur to me! "Gordo's Banana" sounded naughtier and funnier.

Don't worry, in a month or so no one will be able to tell that this was a Frankenstein car, it will all be smoothed out with putty. I'll make a cool custom dash and interior and a chromy engine compartment with a 2.5L engine, plus I'll add some cool mods and I'll win trophies at car shows. It will be mission accomplished and I'll look back on it all as an interesting adventure that used all my acquired skills of a lifetime of being a mechanical dude.
🙂

·
Opeler
1,489 Posts
Ha! Ha! Yuk! Yuk! That idea did occur to me! "Gordo's Banana" sounded naughtier and funnier.

Don't worry, in a month or so no one will be able to tell that this was a Frankenstein car, it will all be smoothed out with putty. I'll make a cool custom dash and interior and a chromy engine compartment with a 2.5L engine, plus I'll add some cool mods and I'll win trophies at car shows. It will be mission accomplished and I'll look back on it all as an interesting adventure that used all my acquired skills of a lifetime of being a mechanical dude.
🙂
Yeah, I couldn't resist messin' with you a little. I know that by the time you are through that it will be done extremely well, just like all of your other projects. I'm pulling for you! (y)

·
Registered
753 Posts
That has to be some of the WORST welding on body panels I have ever seen. Not even ground down or hammered smooth.
I looked at that, and I thought about my butchery stitching the floor and firewall from one GT into the exterior of another, my first bodywork, and I thought "Huh, even mine looks better".

Though the car didn't look bad at all before it was sandblasted to reveal it, so, no reason it won't look just as good when it's re-done.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Was watching Texas Metal last night and saw a project that looked like the same Welder Guy must have worked on.
:ROFLMAO:

·
Senior Contributor
5,042 Posts
Interesting that you think the seller didn't know anything about the bondo that was on the car. My GT came from the same seller and I had to replace the whole front after finding out that it had tons of bondo on it from being hit. The headlight bucket openings were bent and my body guy suggested that we replace the entire front of the car to get it straight. I assumed at the time that the seller didn't know about the bad body on my car either.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Oh, I'm sure he knew about the putty, especially years down the road after it started flaking off and he tried to glue it on with grey gasket sealer.

It's the extensive body panel replacements and welds that were hidden by some of the gullwing mod metal and the fully intact putty/paint that no one could have seen or expected. It wasn't until I used a chisel to chip some of the putty away that both front fenders revealed their replacement welds. Even after I knew all that, it wasn't until I got it back from the blaster that the additional panel replacement at the front left headlight and the left rear fender in front of the wheel revealed that they had been replaced also.

I had actually talked with OGTS a few weeks ago and they told me that this was an extremely common practice in Europe in the 90's as GT's started getting incredibly rare over there. Now, this car was bought in California, then shipped to Germany and then the mod was done to it, so it's anyone's guess which side of the Atlantic all the patching was done at.

We'll never know for sure and it's now water under the bridge and I'll just carry on.

:)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Gordo's Banana
I'm still chuckling
Now that you've peeled it back
We can't help but watch you put it back together lol yuk yuk

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I've been having fun in my basement fixing up what parts I have for The Banana build. This past week or two has been cleaning up, fixing up, and painting the auto tranny and it's various parts. I'm pretty much going to paint all the engine/tranny/drivetrain/Fr+Rr suspension stuff silver/aluminum color. The pics show a bunch of steel stuff on the floor that is getting sent to the chromer's. That'll set me back about $1000+. Other parts have been trickling in, like a 3-core copper radiator, white headliner, new brake lines, and electric window mechanisms. I put some leather treatment stuff on my seats. It's snowy outside and all that spray primer/paint/clear coat would have really stunk up the house and killed my cat, but I have found that if I spray the stuff outside and let the initial gasses evaporate out in the cold for 15 minutes, most of the toxic fumes dissipate and I can then bring them inside for proper curing and it doesn't kill the cat. Now all I need is a car to put it all on. That will be another month or so and Spring will be here.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Mirage Body kit pics
The guy in Norway I bought the Mirage body kit parts from sent me pictures of the kit. Not bad for sitting on a display shelf for 35 years. The tail panel is called a Heckschurtze or "rear apron". Small pieces in the middle are the struts for the wing. The airdam is a separate piece that gets blended into the front wheel arch flares.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
FYI: These 2 "side threads" are part of this car's build:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I'm probably not going to install the big wing this kit comes with and will very likely not blend the front airdam in and may not use it at all. I tore off the air dam 3 times on my previous car and eventually tapered the front wheel flares to blend into the belly pan and deleted the air dam entirely. We have a lot of dips in our roads at intersections and curbs here in the Northeast and they destroy airdams. I'd rather sacrifice looks than have to drive like a pussy over every bump in the road. Maybe I'll put it on a hinge or some sort of easy breakaway concept that won't nuke the whole front end if it snags on something.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
how about a motorized hinge to bring it up just enough, haha, no really

·
Senior Contributor
5,042 Posts
how about a motorized hinge to bring it up just enough, haha, no really
My 2001 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 had an automatic front air dam and an automatic rear spoiler.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Omigosh! Omigosh! Omigosh! I stopped by the body shop today, fully expecting them to not have even started it yet...........AND THEY'RE ALMOST DONE! :love: It looks GREAT! It could be done in a week!

WOW!

Unfortunately, my kit hasn't shipped yet. The guy was sick for the past few weeks and he's probably never sent a package to the U.S. and certainly never one this large, so I'm going to have to wait quite some time for it to arrive. My body shop is cool with sitting on the car for 4-8 weeks. I'm also waiting for a Lenk grill to clear Customs that was shipped several weeks ago. But, all that said, my project is moving along quite rapidly! :)

·
Opeler
623 Posts
Honestly those parts look really good and appear to be easy to duplicate via single part molds. The multi-piece molds are where is gets complicated and time consuming. I like the rear skirts a lot!

Reactions: The Scifi Guy
21 - 40 of 91 Posts