Opel GT Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
1,623 Posts
Holy Cow that GT has come a long,, long way,,, Nice Job Gordo on bringing it back to Opelness LOL 😋

I can't believe you've Got that Mirage Body Kit,,, Cool Beans,, That's my favorite one,, I got this large poster from RallyBob back when C & R Small Cars was in Business, and been hanging in my Shop..

PARSGET GT Body Kit Mirage.jpg
I just took it down, and cleaned it up, maybe I'll get a new frame Parsget "" Mirage"" I like the White one..he,he 🤩
I sure Hope that you don't have anymore problems fitting the body panels,, I Have a feeling that kit will fit a GT like a glove, Knock on wood three times 🙏
All the Best Dude, Cheers

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Of course, you know that you will now have to keep your house locked at all times, install a security system, and acquire no less than 3 junkyard dobermans to prevent me from breaking in and stealing that poster.

A simple solution to save you all that effort would be to sell that poster to me at Carlisle.

I'm retired now, I expect a senior discount.

Orrrrrr........I trade you this framed beauty that I have hanging in my bathroom:

·
Senior Contributor
1,623 Posts
Yeah, Gordon ..

Gotcha ,,, I have all those Systems in place already, It's a crazy world now.,, oopps forgot the attack Cat
It's been there in my Garage hanging collecting dust and Debrie on the wall,,, like it's been there forever,, like Opel wall paper,,, I'll probably miss it..if it's missing ...lol 🙄. didn't even know that's what your doing...you change your mind so much ...Jeez.... will see Mum,,, Carlisle? maybe they let us inside....😎
""" Cuz it's Gunna Rain at Carlisle ...it's a Opel @ Carlisle Tradition """

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Hooray! My fiberglass Lenk grill insert arrived today, just in time. My Mirage body kit is in Tennessee and has been released from Customs, but I probably won't get that until Monday or so. It was important to get this grill insert at the same time as the kit because almost all GT grill openings are partially crushed closed a little due to bottoming out and hitting the belly pan. These grill inserts are made to fit into perfect oem grill openings. If you're going to install an air dam or front fender flares, you need to get this grill insert into the opening before attaching and puttying in an air dam or flares. I have the same insert in my GTX car and that car's opening was crushed 2" closed at the tip and the PO had installed a Steinmetz air dam and flares onto the squashed opening. I had to cut the air dam in the center, so it could spread, and use a 5' long 2x4 to pry the opening down in order to fit the grill. I ordered this grill almost 3 months ago, they had to make it. You delete the bumperettes and wire mesh from the grill opening, insert the grill, then mount the turn signal cans in the new grill. Pics of the new grill and pics of the previous grill on my GTX car:

·
Opeler
3,082 Posts
Would new grill restrict air flow into engine compartment?
Already lost some air flow with slim LED lights installed.
Install large electric fan like you have done so and proceed.

Do you still have Opel GTX GT?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Yup! Drove it last week. It's going to be in the 60's this week, so I'll drive it some more.

:)

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Hooray! My fiberglass Parsget Mirage body kit from Norway arrived today! Yippee! The box was enormous. The size of a coffin. Really well packed. Gee, I thought the wing was the same as the Lenk whale tail wing(the red one), but now I see that it is a few inches shorter in width and F/R length and it's a little different in shape. I tried to lay the kit out to show how it would look on a normal GT, by my GTX ain't normal.
I also had an eye doctor appointment today and I'm gonna need a cataracts operation on one eye in a few weeks and an infection dealt with. I'm THRILLED. They can fix cataracts, I thought I had a condition much worse. My other eye is great, he said. I'm even more thrilled. I thought I was doomed. I can barely drive right now, double vision and blurriness. That's not good for a guy who's main hobby is cars. Prospects look good for both eyes to be in good shape for my age.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
I'm going to be the a-hole that tells this true story.
My grandpa went in for cataract surgery. Never came out. Yup, he died.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Procedures were much different in 1935.....

but sorry for your loss.

you’ll be fine Gordo!
My grandpa died in 1986 or 87.
Long enough ago.

But, yeah, Gordo will be fine.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Reactions: jayhawkjesse33

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Like most men, I don't see a doc very often and I've been gifted with good health personally, and in the family genetics as well, my whole life. I never get sick for the most part. Nobody dies of anything dreadful and we live to ripe old ages. In my case, I've had 4 surgeries over the past 10 years or so, all due to old sports injuries. Cartilage in the knees, a bruised nerve in my foot, an abused wrist with damaged cartilage and consequent arthritic growths. My pre-surgical tests all show that I'm healthy as a horse with the metabolism of a young athlete. The eyes have been slowly degrading over the past 15 years in typical older person fashion: Loss of ability to change focus. So, off the shelf reading glasses managed that issue. But this recent degradation dveloped rapidly over the past 6 months and it turned out that I had multiple issues on just one eye: Fast growing "young" person-type cataracts, a scratched cornea that I probably got from cutting and grinding the gullwing, and an infection that appears to have come from a zit I got on my eye lid in the Fall. Thankfully, all fixable stuff. Thank golly I live in the modern era. I can't help but think how much different things would be if I was born just 100 years earlier or before pennicillin. I would have died from "cat scratch fever" in 24 hours from playing with my kitten one morning back when I was 20. A shot of tetracyline and all better. Pennicillin saved me from bacterial blood infections twice. I would have been a wheel chair case for most of my life because of my sports related joint injuries, but I'm mostly good as new from those surgeries. Yup, good that I was born in the modern era.

·
Über Genius
9,354 Posts
Getting old is underrated. It ain't for sissies!

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Gordo's Banana fuel tank

Holy COW! Of all the disappointments I discovered on my former-Gullwing, now Parsget Mirage body kit, car I thought for sure that the fuel tank would be a mess also. I recalled hearing grit and crap sliding around in it when I removed it. Every single bracket, nut and bolt, and all other devices and parts on the car had been stripped off and I could tell that the tank bolts had been removed before, so surely the fuel tank had been swapped out for a crappy one.

So, Don Matlack dropped by yesterday to talk Opels and bring his bore scope. Well, it turned out that his scope was on the fritz, so he whipped out his cell phone and we took a look.
Holy Bejeesus! It's brand new inside! Like, fresh out of the box, brand new! This tank has been sitting in the car for 25 years. I have to think that at some point Todd Martin, who sold the car to me, had somehow acquired a new fuel tank and put it in. The "sock" was fresh out of the box perfect(before I ripped it out of there). WOW! Thanks Todd!

It's missing the fuel outlet and I would like to put a new larger 3/8" one in. What is the thread size of the fuel outlet threads in the fuel tank?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I stopped by the body shop yesterday. It looks like we're on track to have the car back to me by mid-May.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts