Opel GT Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
649 Posts
Thanks for posting the picture of the fuel sock - now I finally get it. Congrats of the fresh tank.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I was amazed at how fine and tough the mesh screen was and it was multi-layered. It would take almost nothing to clog the sock in this one. At first I couldn't even see through the stuff until I started messing around with the bit that I managed to rip loose with super long needle nose pliers. And it fought me pretty hard to tear some of it loose. Keep in mind that my tank is missing the screw in outlet, so the mesh was somehow bonded to the skinny circumference of the bung in the tank, seemingly before it was welded in. Maybe it was installed before they welded the top half of the tank in place. I don't recall the "socks" being as short as this one was(less than 3") and I seem to recall that they were normally whitish, not black. Because of this and the pristine condition of the tank, I get the sense that this tank was some sort of replacement tank made after the original tanks were made. Like most folks, I haven't messed around with too many tanks, only this one and a horribly rotted out one. Maybe they changed the sock design during the 5-6 year run of these cars.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For comparison to your, erm, “banana sock” :) here’s the sock from my (June build) 70 GT, during tank clean and after removal.

Unrelated, I also found this Frank Sinatra 8-track under drivers seat, even tho my car still has orig am radio...

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
More Upholstery and Switches
More Blitz switches for me to install in my GTX car and power window switches for both cars arrived. Missing is one switch that says "HEAD LIGHTS". Still waiting for that, pics show a GTX switch that just says "LIGHTS" for that one. On my Banana car, the "LIGHTS" switch will turn the Head and Park lights on simultaneously.
My boat varnish kit arrived, after they sent me the wrong stuff, so now I can start varnishin'. It's Day Two or Three of my upholstery project. Here's more mysterious pics of clamps and stuff.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Woop! Woop! My new steering wheel arrived! No, this isn't the kooky, fragile, one with the LED's inside, this is an entirely different kooky, NOT fragile one I just bought for my "Banana" project car. $97, not a bad price. These are a new production and they come in all sort of colors. They're some sort of clear, solid, plastic with bubbles inside and they come with a matching stick shift knob. I didn't check the size and assumed it would be one of those mini-steering wheels like the sweet wood Luisi one I have in my GTX car, but it turned out to be a full size steering wheel just like oem GT ones! Hooray! I'm kinda tired of my mini Luisi one. But this one isn't for the GTX, it's for the Banana. And it's nice and fat with finger grips all the way around. Fits a standard MOMO 6-bolt adapter. Oh, and did I mention that it's CHROME? Wheeeeeeeeee! Here's a link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143756558698

·
Detritus Maximus
2,838 Posts
I'm wondering why Gordon needs a can of LUST...seems to me that kind of gets in the way of working on the car.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
The Wonderful World of Chrome
Get your drool cups out. Just when you thought that Gordo couldn't possibly need any more chromy stuff........BAM!........The King of Chrome strikes again!
🤪

I've been getting boxes of car parts from various shipping companies every day for 2 weeks now, sometimes 3-4 in one day. Most came in the afternoon. I staggered out of bed this morning and looked out the front door at 6:30am and there was an enormous box looking up at me. Who the heck delivers packages at 6am?
🤔

It was the box of steel engine compartment stuff that I had sent out to be chromed 3 months ago! S+H Chrome Plating in Tennessee, one of the top automotive chromers in the country. This is the chrome stuff to dress up my "Banana" car. It will be almost a year before you actually see this stuff installed. This isn't all my chromy stuff, I have other chromed stuff in the basement for the build. And I haven't chromed a 2.4 valve cover yet 'cuz I don't have one yet. So, here ya go, start slobbering......

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Wow! And you worry about glare on the windshield....

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I don't know why you forget the paint and go with a chrome wrap. You have already rejected the chrome paint but the wrap can be removed easily. I wonder if it is hard seeing a chrome car on the road. They could blend in with the surroundings due to reflections.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
A chrome wrap would draw too much attention and would be seriously dangerous in sunlight. I'm getting tired of having a car that everyone wants to race or take pictures of while they're driving. I've been run off the road twice because of people taking cell phone pics out their passenger window. Yeah, I'm putting chrome under the hood because that's what car shows require and because it's a far better alternative to paint or polishing and because it's "my thing". The outside of the car will be fairly basic, no chrome bumpers in the back and I might put my yellow fiberglass bumper on the front. I'm a big fan of the one-wiper-only concept, one gets it done and eliminates the chatter and scissor problem. I'll probably never install the passenger wiper. I'm kind of intending this car to be my pleasure driving car and relegate the GTX to car shows only.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
409 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
I stopped by the body shop to check on progress today. No more progress. The head mechanic had a family issue and has been out for 2 weeks. We had never talked about price. We were basically on a work on it in their spare time basis to save money. Months ago they had a window of time and pretty much banged out all the putty work in a week. But then I got the body kit and that will take almost as much time to install and putty in as the work they did to restore it back to normal GT standards. So today we talked money and I actually paid them for the work done already. In a nutshell, $8500 for the whole deal. The putty guy said he would need to put in 80 hours to complete the kit install, finalize the full car puttying, and paint inside and out. The manager said they would only charge me for the equivalent of about 50 hours of the additional work. So, I'm figuring that the first 40 hours worth of work cost me $3500 or so and the kit/final putty/paint works out to $5000. I figure that the 2-3 weeks of total work(120 hours) will cost me less than $100 per hour. I consider that to be a bargain. I had already mentally budgeted $12K-$15K just to fix it up when it was the gullwing. I saved a LOT of money reversing that mod and getting the car blasted and epoxy primed myself.

So, I'm on track and way under budget. It's hot as shiite in the 90's with high humidity this year already and I wouldn't hardly be doing anything to the car anyway, so I'm not really bothered by the months long time they've had the car. I don't normally work on my cars in the Summer if I can avoid it, so, good that someone else fixes it up instead of me. Hopefully by the beginning of Summer I'll have it back and I can slowly tinker it all back together.

:)

81 - 98 of 98 Posts