Opel GT Forum banner

861 - 880 of 925 Posts

·
Opeler
57 Posts
@ Gorden
No sound bar, only a amp.
The project ist still under construction, but I promis to post pic´s in a speparate thrat when it is competed.

My „problem“ is that im working on different projects simulaneously…
i think i am not the only one with this sick behavior.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #863 (Edited)
Scenes from this weekend's "simple" install of a sub-woofer with just 5 wires to connect:

"C'mon mutha @#$%&! Get in the God @#$% hole!"

"Oh you cock @#$%&! @#$ dammit! You stupid #$%& ing piece of $#i#!"

"Aaarrgghh! Are ANY of my drill bits sharp? Dammit!"

"Where the hell is my phillips screwdriver?!!! How the hell did it end up across the street in my neighbor's house? I just used it 5 seconds ago! Aaarrgghh!"

"Jeesis cryste! An hour and a half to route just 12" of @$#%& wire! Son of the beach!"

"Holy Cow! I've now spent 4 hours scrunched up behind my seats installing this mutha fluffa and I still ain't done!"

All done:

Routing 12" of this red wire took 1.5 hours. Traced in green in the 2nd pic:

Woofer power.jpg Woofer power with line.jpg

Attaching the wires to the head unit took 5 minutes 'cuz I could easily slide it out without messing with the dash. Eat your heart out with jealousy!

Removing the head unit.jpg

I routed the wires over the hills, through the woods, to Grandmother's house, and then to my filler neck area:

Wires routed to the filler neck.jpg Wires routed to the filler neck 2.jpg

I attached metal strips to the mounting feet and applied a strip of velcro to them so that they could stick to my velcro-like carpet. This worked REALLY good, it's darn near impossible to get that sucker out of there now:

Metal strips with velcro attached to the feet 1.jpg Metal strips with velcro attached to the feet 2.jpg

All hooked up and working, gotta get the shopvac out to suck up the sawdust:

Finally installed and wired up.jpg

I was afraid that this mod would turn my car into a Latino thump buggy, but all it did was deepen and enrich the sound. Now the car sounds classy and sophisticated. Schitt, what fun is that?

:veryhappy

·
Can Opeler
3,260 Posts
I feel your pain on the wiring. My voice module wiring was identical. I am also insanely jealous about your radio sliding out like that.

Those little under seat boxes like that can’t really bump, but they do add in a lot of missing tones. You have to have a pretty good size subwoofer to shake things.

4,231 Posts
Sorry I can`t be jealous at this Holla Bolla.:no:
Now you can open more the exhaust again:lmao:
Or add more speaker like the picture show!

For me,I use all the time the stock Blaupunkt "Frankfurt" Mono.:cool:
But the the ochestra is still the engine itself. The sound of Opel Sewing mashine:drive:

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #867 (Edited)
Woop! Woop! 3rd day of Spring!

I installed the Steinmetz plate that Norbert sent me, drove to the gas station to put some fresh gas in it, and went for a long ride to try out my new sub-woofer on the road for the first time:

IMG_1141.jpg IMG_1142.jpg IMG_1143.jpg

Car ran like a kitten with a bad attitude.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #872
Yahoooooo!

1st car show of the season at a steakhouse. I wasn't expecting anything more than sunshine, nice temps, and conversation with my car show brethren. 150 cars showed up......WAY more than they had room for......they had us packed in like sausages.......no way could you leave before the end of the show....and it was a long show: 10am-5pm. About 10 foreign cars showed up and I had the only one that appeared to be modified. Only 9 trophies were given out: 8 classes and a Best Of. Two of those categories were for foreign cars, Stock and Mod. I thought I was a shoe in to get the Mod trophy. The 8th and last category trophy was my chance. Nothing. A VW got it. Oh the horror! I'm walking dejected back to my car and then I hear "This year's Best of Show winner of the 9th annual Steakhouse car show is......#66 Gordon Payton and his 1970 Opel GT!".

WHAATTTTTTTTT????!!!!!!! Me? I lost my mind! I went running around like a crazy man hooting and hollering and happy as a man can be! WOW! That was my first Best of Show in a regular car show in 10 years of car show attendance! (I won the Opel Nationals in 2016) I've NEVER come even close to winning a whole show. I've gone to plenty of shows where I came home with nothing. And it was a big ass trophy, too! Hooray! Uh-oh, how am I going to top this, there's a whole Summer of car shows to attend. Do I stop now and quit while I'm ahead?

IMG_1188.jpg IMG_1192.jpg IMG_1182.jpg IMG_1184.jpg IMG_1183.jpg IMG_1185.jpg

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #874
The local Opel boys bring home the chrome!

A record number of cars(224) showed up this year at the Collingswood, NJ Mayfair car show and the weather was absolutely beautiful. A good time was had by all. Holy cow there were so many cute little dogs that I had to snuggle. 100's of them. Local Opeler Karl Senula snagged a Judge's Choice award for his gorgeous mostly stock blue GT and I got one in my class of '70-'72 modified cars.

Collingswood 2019 (7).jpg Collingswood 2019 (1).jpg Collingswood 2019 (2).jpg Collingswood 2019 (4).jpg Collingswood 2019 (6).jpg

·
Senior Contributor
4,961 Posts
So you DROVE the car to the show which means you either limped there or you fixed it......which is it?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #876
I limped there badly. I parked 5 blocks from my house.

In case future readers of this thread don't know why Jeff asked that question, see this thread which happened the week after the car show I won a few posts ago:

https://www.opelgt.com/forums/general-discussions/108159-im-so-pissed-off.html

I have a long slog ahead of me. I think. I have side draft carb tuning ahead of me and I'm still not convinced that both my stumbling and engine shut off problems have been resolved.

PJ had a valve lifter go catastrophically bad just a week ago and it nuked his cam shaft and I'm still convinced that there is something wrong with a valve on my car. For all I know, I may have the same bad "Ajusa" lifters on my car also.

Buuuuut.....my recent install of the Chinese carb HAS appeared to make the random engine shut offs go away and my random, come and go, stumbling has now been replaced by steady, not random, stumbling that seems to respond to carb adjustment tweaks. NOTHING affected those 2 problems these past 5 weeks, so I have some faint reason for optimism.

(Readers: To recap, I replaced every single thing in my ignition and fuel delivery systems and nothing had the slightest effect on my engine problem until I changed out the carb)

However, the pressure to make Carlisle and my home town car show is now over and there's some hope that I'm on the right track with the carb as the cause of the problem, so I'm going to take a break from messing with the car every single day until bedtime for over a month and catch up on a few other projects.

Today I will recommence the demolition and stripping of my '75 Manta parts car, then there will be a drive down to Virginia to drop the engine in the '75 Wagon I bought, and then the install of a rebuilt 2.2 engine with Motronic FI in it. When Charlie finishes getting the engine to run properly, I'll then have the car shipped here to my house and I'll continue it's restoration and modding.

I'll work on the GTX on rainy days or when I feel motivation return.

4,231 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #879 (Edited)
FYI: I installed Polylock rocker nuts in my engine and ran across a problem when I put the 2.4 style valve cover back on: It teeter-tottered on the nuts in the middle, front to rear. Now, these rocker nuts, I was assured, would NOT cause a problem by hitting the valve cover, due to their extra height and the setscrew they have on top.

And they don't. With normal stock rocker studs.

But I had to replace 4 of my studs with ones from OGTS and they turned out to be 1/4" taller, which caused the Polylock set screws, where the replacement studs were, to hit the cover and prevent the cover from seating all the way. I had to either shorten the studs by cutting or grinding them down or mod the cover. A 2.4 valve cover has the sheet metal enclosed chamber at the top, like 1.9 covers do, but it's shaped differently and doesn't have the brillo pads inside. Remove it entirely? But, gee, it must be there for a reason. Maybe for drip control? It would have been easy to remove, but I had my valve cover chromed and didn't take the sheet metal cover off before sending it to the chromers. It was supposedly held in by screws. They chromed the cover and the sheet metal and reattached the sheet metal with rivets that I would have to drill out if I was going remove the sheet metal. So, I tried to cave in the sheet metal where the studs were sticking up too high for my Poly's to clear the cover. A couple of aluminum extrusions under the cover were in the way, but I managed to cave in the sheet metal about 1/4" where the studs were. It worked great, the cover fit with no problem and I didn't have to remove anything. For your knowledge, the cover measured 2.5" deep to the sheet metal, I caved in the sheet metal about 1/4", so the depth was 2.75" deep where the rocker studs were.

Polylock valve cover mod because of replacement studs (2).jpg

861 - 880 of 925 Posts