Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The thing about a sports job is that the 5% of people local to that team may care slightly more about it, 95% of people will like it less.

I think a complicated wrap like that would obscure the lines and features of the GT. I would at most go with a single or two colors, racing stripe or something in the silver. Then it still looks good on its own regardless, and anyone that appreciates the team colors will notice too. If you want it to be a bit more sports themed, then get magnet decals you could slap on before events.
Good point Matt It may be best to have a wrapped pro designed in that the silvers flow with and highlight particular lines that say hey I'm an opel gt

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Alas, Gary said he sat in the car a bunch of years back and said that the hinges or welding were rusty. That's okay, anything can be repaired or modded to do what you want. I'm mentally prepared to find a disaster when I get it. My background is in industry, not just automotive technology, so I know a lot of different ways and solutions to fix stuff. I had heard that the original guy who paid a shop to do the mod "wasn't happy with the quality". So be it. My GTX car had some stupid mods done to it and it took me 7 years to come up with solutions for a couple of them. I didn't work non-stop on the car, just here and there. Hey, it's a project car and I WANT it to fill up my time and take me a while to get it ship shape. That's the fun part for me: The challenge. I like challenges. If it was easy it would be boring. I don't like boring.

:)

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I have room for 5: Two on the paved part of my backyard, room for two 48" high vehicles(Solstice and GT's) on and under my garage lift, and one in the driveway outside my garage door. I presently have 3 vehilcles. The Ford Escape will never see the inside of my garage and it's now likely that the Solstice will have to spend the rest of it's time with me outdoors under a car cover when unused. Before I retired, I had a one week used/unused rotation with the Solstice and the Escape. Except for driving to car shows, I don't need to drive much. 3000 a year max. I drive 3500 miles a year going to car shows, so I actually drive my GT more than my daily driver. Now with retirement and the virus, I'll be lucky to do 1000 miles a year total on my daily drivers. Where I live, you just don't need to drive very far to get everything you could possibly want and with Philly just 3 miles away and the beach one hour away, you've got all the entertainment you could reasonably need. My town is so dense with residential houses and Parks and old people, plus young, it's almost like a giant retirement community.

·
Über Genius
8,966 Posts
Talk to a real body shop and get their opinion of wraps.
My son was in auto painting for many years and warned me against wraps. He said removing a wrap triples the labor cost of the paint job.

Reactions: jayhawkjesse33

·
Detritus Maximus
2,233 Posts
Wrap material gets fried by UV. The adhesive becomes hard and the vinyl is brittle. The vinyl comes off in little flakes and leaves the adhesive behind. However, I've had good luck with using a heat gun to soften the vinyl and the adhesive until it is pliable enough to peel.

·
Opel Addicts
2,463 Posts
I got an interesting phone call yesterday. During the cars and coffee gathering I went to last weekend, a local long time owner of GT's who runs a classic car repair shop dropped by. He needed a hood for a guy he sold a GT to. He took down my contact info to give to the guy. So the guy calls me and we start talking about hoods. I tell him that perfect ones that don't need any bodywork are unobtanium and we start discussing the fiberglass hood option and ways he salvage what he's got. It turns out that he had already talked with Gil and so on. It turns out that he works at or runs a body shop and his car was almost done, except for the hood. We start talking about my new car and how I'll probably drop it off at my long time Maaco shop for freshening up. Well, it turns out that the guy now runs that shop!

So, that's good news! I'll have a body shop guy with some Opel restore experience, appreciation, and who even owns one he just fixed up. My ability to get him parts might bring the price down, too.

SO, DOES ANYONE LOCAL TO ME HAVE A DECENT GT THEY COULD PART WITH?
If this guy is still looking for a pristine steel hood, I have one that he could buy. Gordo - let me know if I can help!

Allen & Vickie Gage

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I took a look at it and deemed it salvagable. He was dismayed by the various separations of the underlying support structure from the hood skin, where Opel had only used glue to hold them together, and that the fold at the back of the hood is all that really holds them together. I told him to squirt some seam sealer in the gaps and see how it goes. If this fails, then I'll go on a quest for a more solid hood for him. I'll keep you in mind, thanks for the offer! :)

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have 2 Lenk hoods: One I bought from someone who did the full conversion of grafting the oem substructure to the Lenk fiberglass top part. He decided to simply put fiberglass cloth and resin right over top of the whole substructure and bond it to the fiberglass. It may not look pretty, but it's the toughest, most rigid, Opel GT hood you've seen anywhere. All the hood latching and hood prop rod works just like oem. This hood was on my Red Baron car and I saved it. I'm going to put it on my gull wing. On my GTX car I just used an unsupported Lenk hood and came up with my own support structure that is ultra minimal. It's not strong, but it is lightweight, hood latching works, and allows for the ventilation and hood window mods I did to it. My hood prop concept sucks. I could come up with a better idea.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
340 Posts
On the subject of paint...........hmmmmm...........I'm really starting to think that maybe getting a wrap done to it might be a cool idea. Of course, my natural inclination to go maximum extreme dictates that I consider getting a chrome wrap of the whole car. Another possibility that just occured to me as I'm typing this is to have a wrap done to honor my local football team: The Philadelphia Eagles.
Kind of always thought of you as a Louis Vuitton kind of guy.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I hear that the wheels are slowly turning on the purchase process of this car. I got this message:

<<< Lien sale and paperwork guy came today and is looking at the Gullwing right now at the shop they're going to do a VIN verification and start paperwork. >>>

:)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts