Opel GT Forum banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Detritus Maximus
2,324 Posts
Ha! Well, if electric linear actuators do have limit switches, then they would certainly then be a good choice. The car probably has gas springs in it right now. I was impressed by how well the air cylinders opened the doors on the 2 cars I observed, they both worked extremely smoothly with no clunking. Considering that they were on cars made in the 70's and were still working very well was very impressive.

Either way it will be a fun project. I wanted or need a project that will engage me heavily and present me with some challenges. Next will be to investigate how other gull wing cars support their doors. Such as, how do Deloreans do it? I'm going to research all the gull wing cars I can. There are also the new self-opening SUV rear hatches. Those hatches are about the same weight and they seem to open in a very controlled fashion. I'll want to investigate how those doors are actuated also.
Our 2013 Escape has the self opening/self closing rear. It also has a function that lets you change stopping height.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I guess he lost whatever title he may or may not have ever had. It's a Euro car, I don't know if a proper title was given to him when it came off the boat. Apparently he had some sort of motor vehicle agency inspector come a week out or so ago to verify VIN numbers and they are now verifying or doing a "discovery" to assure that it wasn't stolen or had any liens against it. Then I guess they issue a title to him and we move forward with this potential purchase. I was told up front that it would take a month or two for him to get a tile for it.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Our 2013 Escape has the self opening/self closing rear. It also has a function that lets you change stopping height.
Good tip, thanks! My brother, who I got my 2005 escape from, likes Escapes and bought 2 newer ones for him and his wife after I bought his older one. Maybe one of his has the self open/close feature for me to look at.

:)

·
Detritus Maximus
2,324 Posts
It works well, but I don't know if it has a separate computer module or if it is tied into a central chassis computer.

·
Living in the past
2,298 Posts
Good tip, thanks! My brother, who I got my 2005 escape from, likes Escapes and bought 2 newer ones for him and his wife after I bought his older one. Maybe one of his has the self open/close feature for me to look at.

:)
Go down to your nearest KFC lot and grab you a young sea gull, take it home and feed it french fries and bread and train it to show you how it opens and closes its wings. You must get there before the store opens or after it closes, otherwise, the back door might fly open and employees rush out and grab several for menu items.I can always tell if they are open or not, if they are open then you don't see many gulls walking around on the lot (think about it) lmao

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Another consideration that is necessary in my particular case is variable opening positions. My garage is very low and narrow, opening the doors or just one door may be a real challenge and I may have to do some redesigning. I may even be forced to make a lean-to extension of the side of my garage to house another car, thereby nuking my whole back yard. I can't alter the roof of my garage due to a recalcitrant neighbor that I share the garage with and town regulations.

·
Opeler
521 Posts
This made me think that a lot of vehicles must use door actuators. Look around and see what looks like might fit, and then go to a junkyard for the parts. Think vans and expensive SUV.

·
Opeler
521 Posts
Go down to your nearest KFC lot and grab you a young sea gull, take it home and feed it french fries and bread and train it to show you how it opens and closes its wings. You must get there before the store opens or after it closes, otherwise, the back door might fly open and employees rush out and grab several for menu items.I can always tell if they are open or not, if they are open then you don't see many gulls walking around on the lot (think about it) lmao
This is where we need a LOL button like Facebook uses.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I would guess that most of the weight of the door is held by the shock absorbers, positioned and lengthed just right for the balance/weight/motion of the door. Every time I've tried this (not on vehicles), it's surprisingly difficult to match all those things up. You'll get the right strength but not enough extension. You'll get enough extension but it passes through a point where it's not strong enough but it's too strong at the end again, etc.

Ideally, the shock absorbers should make the door nearly weightless, like a teeter-totter, and the actuator is only like a little weight that tips the balance one way or the other.

You probably want the first 5% of the door's travel to be favorable towards closing (so it doesn't flip open like a jack-in-the-box the moment you unclick it, taking your knees, gut, then chin off). Then the next 70-80% be powerful opening, that's the annoying part you'll have to wait for where you can't even start to get in. Then the last 10-20% be fairly light and only barely want to continue opening(so it doesn't snap the door right off).

That's steady enough you can probably do that mechanically (perhaps even passively), just by the placement of the shock mounts. I think you'll probably have a lot of fun making it and tweaking it. Might be helpful to have a model that's at least proportionally weighted so you can tweak it without much penalty.

·
Vendor
2,639 Posts
Check out this story about the Bricklin SV-1. The video is really interesting, and they mention some of the engineering issues they had with the gull wing doors. Malcolm Bricklin was also the founder of SOA, and inflicted the Yugos on North America. A really fascinating guy with some great stories. On a personal note, I used to work for the aforementioned "bathroom tile manufacturer" which in truth was a multi-national specialty chemical company with a vast portfolio of products including ( yes) acrylic tiles. I never knew that they were also used for the SV-1 bodies.
Cheers,
Ron in FL

The Storied Bricklin SV-1's Body Was Made by a Bathroom Tile Manufacturer

·
Detritus Maximus
2,324 Posts
I always did prefer the Mangusta to the Pantera.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,324 Posts
Not really relevant...
supervan.jpg

·
Vendor
2,639 Posts
Speaking of cars with gull wing doors, there is an Autozam AZ-1 on BAT right now.
Cool little cars that were made by Mazda back in 1992-94. They use a lifter design similar to some of the GT gull wing cars.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Hey, that's pretty cool and a possible good source to find replacement struts if I need them.

As far as an update on this car project, I'm still waiting for Todd to get a title, which should be any day now. I've heard from another buyer of an OU car from Todd that he wants buyers to title the cars in their name before he ships them. He supposedly sends the buyer the title and waits to ship until he gets verification that the title is now in the buyer's name. Sheesh.

I'm still waiting for current pictures of the car. I'm not buying a car that I don't have fresh new pictures of that show the critical areas of concern. I wasn't looking for a car project and if I'm going to do another GT it has to be a mostly done special one like this gull wing.

·
Opel Key Master
5,071 Posts
Speaking of cars with gull wing doors, there is an Autozam AZ-1 on BAT right now.
Cool little cars that were made by Mazda back in 1992-94. They use a lifter design similar to some of the GT gull wing cars. View attachment 429402
There is a place near me that specializes in these mini cars from Japan, and has one of these. I don't think they are crazy priced either, they are usually stripped of any amenities

·
Detritus Maximus
2,324 Posts
I had forgotten about the AZ1. I would totally drive one. I always liked the kei cars...not the Chrysler K-cars.

Reactions: rrossjr

·
Registered
600 Posts
He supposedly sends the buyer the title and waits to ship until he gets verification that the title is now in the buyer's name. Sheesh.
I imagine there's a specific reason for this.

Like, once you own it, you can't complain about it, as, you already own it.

Or, if something happens to it, it's on your insurance, not his.

Or, if you can't title it and now awkwardly want to return it at his cost, it's not even a conversation anymore, you title it before it ever leaves.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts