Opel GT Forum banner

121 - 140 of 217 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
I had to scrap the idea, Uwe Klippert explained that the body of a GT door is roughly the same size as the window opening and that, because the gullwing mod shortened the door body, there isn't enough room inside the door for the window to fully retract. If I make the window short enough to descend all the way into the body, then there won't be enough window left to fill the window opening when rolled up and it will stop short of the top. For me, it's all about being able to comfortably rest my arm on the window sill when it's down. If only 1"-3" stick up, I might be able to fashion some sort of temporary removable pad to slide over the bit of glass sticking up.

·
Opeler
120 Posts
What about doing something similar to the Delorean side windows?
They had a relatively large fixed window with a little cut out that would roll down.
Seems like a good place to hang the arm out :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Your other option is to lengthen the height of the top of the door, though it would impact visibility and it would look weird... but that doesn't seem to be a constrain to you, as long as it's the right kind of weird. Maybe a chrome insert? :p

·
Registered
333 Posts
Looking forward to following this project as I know that Gordon will keep us intertained and informed. But one nagging question keeps coming into my mind. So you park and go into a store. Someone parks on both sides of you, well how do you get into your car and drive away. :unsure:

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I'm told that the doors only swing out about 8" from the body as they go up.

I got 2 new pictures. Hmmm....doesn't look like I'll be showing up at Carlisle with it. You can see surface rust on the rear deck and some fender areas and there's the already known cracking/rust issues on the roof part of the doors.

Actually, it's sort of a relief knowing that it needs more work than just a quick fix up and engine install. That's not really what I wanted anyway. I wanted a project that would take a year or more to complete. I really wasn't looking all that forward to rushing all through Winter trying to fix it up for Carlisle. The rust spots now mean it has to go to the body shop pronto. That means I'll have to strip the car down to a shell. I want to paint it yellow inside and out and all in the engine compartment. While I'm stripping I'll probably find inside areas that need some rust remediation, so I might as well do what I did to my GTX and paint the whole interior with POR15 or some other oxygen sealing rust encapsulating product.

So, I got what I wanted: A good condition GT with a cool body mod that will take me a year or two to fix up. The party starts next week!

:)

·
Opeler
3,031 Posts
As mentioned in a different thread today. Never visited Todd's / Opels Unlimited Corporate Headquarters in Riverside, CA. It is located approx. 100 miles from my home in San Diego, CA. Maybe it will be on my bucket list for 2021?

Past Summer was exceptionally hot. Did not want to travel to hotter weather locations like Riverside.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Take your time and do it up right . Enjoy the journey as that is where the rewards are when you finally finish your baby. I am thrilled for you as embark on this project and will be keeping a eye on your progress along the way. I kind of wish I had that car. I got enough projects to do though but still it is a really cool car . Hope you got a nice dry spot to put it with heat. Winter is coming fast.

·
Senior Contributor
1,570 Posts
Good Luck Gordon, You've got your work cut out for you. Gull Wing Doors oh boy....A New Project, for sure.. This will keep your Crazy
Wackadoodle Mind Busy for a while...Am Sure 😊 Are we Going to be Looking forward to another Alligator skin ,,
or maybe Zebra Skin Interior ...maybe Carbon Fiber ...LOL Were Going to be surprised?
Maybe just a normal Opel Motor this time,, lots on your plate ..now..
Enjoy your Opel Retirement
Cheers ,Mike

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
It will get my repaired 2.5 CIH. It might end up being closer to a 2.4 when it's done. It was already paid for and I was totally happy with it, so why change. I can't spend like a drunken sailor anymore, so I'm going to use a lot of parts I already have: Beige leather Miata seats, reinforced Lenk hood, chromy SSD manifold and carb, etc. Making my previous custom dash was the most fun and allowed the most creativity of anything I've done on my Opels, so I'm going to make another one.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Todd and I had a major falling out over a financial issue and value for my dollar. An hour on the phone with me calling him a MFer, a JO, an A-hole, etc. and me hanging up as a totally discusted and dissatisfied customer. I called Charlie, Todd's brother by another mother, and laid out the scenario. He then texted and called Todd the next day and flamed him, with warnings that you don't want to piss off one of the highest profile Opelers, at this point in time, and suffer the consequences of me disparaging him online. To his credit he has bent over backwards to amend things and has packed the car with goodies to smooth the hard feelings. He also saved a bunch of shipping money by filling the remaining space in the car with lots of boxes of parts that needed shipping to Charlie for his endeavors. I know there's a bunch of dash stuff and some lighting stuff, don't know what else. He sent some pics, Holy Cow, it will be interesting getting the car off the truck without being able to get inside it to steer it.

·
Opeler
1,439 Posts
Todd and I had a major falling out over a financial issue and value for my dollar. An hour on the phone with me calling him a MFer, a JO, an A-hole, etc. and me hanging up as a totally discusted and dissatisfied customer. I called Charlie, Todd's brother by another mother, and laid out the scenario. He then texted and called Todd the next day and flamed him, with warnings that you don't want to piss off one of the highest profile Opelers, at this point in time, and suffer the consequences of me disparaging him online. To his credit he has bent over backwards to amend things and has packed the car with goodies to smooth the hard feelings. He also saved a bunch of shipping money by filling the remaining space in the car with lots of boxes of parts that needed shipping to Charlie for his endeavors. I know there's a bunch of dash stuff and some lighting stuff, don't know what else. He sent some pics, Holy Cow, it will be interesting getting the car off the truck without being able to get inside it to steer it.

View attachment 430628 View attachment 430629 View attachment 430630
Dang, Todd looks like John Goodman sitting there! :unsure:
Good luck with your gull wing project!

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
I contacted Keith Lundholm about doing the body refresh, but he says he's booked solid for the next 2 years. So, looks like it's going to the local Maaco. My GTX had a Maaco-level fix up and added body kit job done to it and it still looks great 10-12 years later, even after multiple engine removals and mods, mods, mods. I'm 61, I'll be lucky to still be able to see well enough to drive in 10 years, so that's as long as the car needs to look good. It will be a car show car that lives in a garage all the time and will almost never see a drop of water. I'm going to do what I did with my GTX and paint the whole interior, the underside, and the inner nose area with POR15, like I did with the GTX, so a Maaco fix up to the outside ought to get me 10 years worth of good looks. :)

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
Pretty awesome Todd threw in that patio heater for you.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Our cars were spotted in Dandridge, TN at about 10am today. Silverish-blue one goes to Jay Snavely out near Harrisburg, PA, then me, then Dan Matlack at the Jersey shore. Pretty unlikely that us two Jersey boys will see our cars today, probably tomorrow.

·
Vendor
2,718 Posts
Our cars were spotted in Dandridge, TN at about 10am today. Silverish-blue one goes to Jay Snavely out near Harrisburg, PA, then me, then Dan Matlack at the Jersey shore. Pretty unlikely that us two Jersey boys will see our cars today, probably tomorrow.

View attachment 430900
Is he bringing it to your door? The last shipper I worked with couldn't get his rig down my street, so I had to meet him in a nearby parking lot. Not a problem for a running car, but in this case??

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
When my GTX was delivered the guy came down the wrong super narrow tree lined street. He nuked every tree on the street, there was a gaggle of little kids following him marveling at the path of destruction he left behind. He refused to drive any closer and dropped the car off 3 blocks from my house......at 9pm at night! Luckily, that car sort of ran, albeit, only at 3000rpm, any lower and it would stall. I had to let the clutch in and out for a 1/2 second dozens of times. Flashlight on the dashboard for a headlight. I'm sure this delivery will go just as badly.

·
Registered
333 Posts

View attachment 430900
Gordon, Congratulations on your new project. While we all know you have a ton of work ahead of you I am sure many are envious as I am that you have an opportunity to take all of the knowledge and skills developed from past projects and apply that knowledge and skill level to this new GT project car. Looking forward to following your progress. Lots of pictures,eh...

121 - 140 of 217 Posts