Opel GT Forum banner

141 - 160 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
When my GTX was delivered the guy came down the wrong super narrow tree lined street. He nuked every tree on the street, there was a gaggle of little kids following him marveling at the path of destruction he left behind. He refused to drive any closer and dropped the car off 3 blocks from my house......at 9pm at night! Luckily, that car sort of ran, albeit, only at 3000rpm, any lower and it would stall. I had to let the clutch in and out for a 1/2 second dozens of times. Flashlight on the dashboard for a headlight. I'm sure this delivery will go just as badly.
could have only been better if he was throwing candy or ice cream out the window LOL.
Awesome to hear it is FINALLY on it's way, congrats to you my friend I'm excited to monitor your progress

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Pictures. Ha! You guys will be SO sick of looking at this car by the time I'm done with it. I work at a daily fast pace and I take pictures of every single little thing I do. Your only saving grace will be that it will go to the body shop as soon as I can get it there and then the waiting will start all over again.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
HAHA I doubt you could stay away that long to not peek in and take pics to share while it's there

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,484 Posts
I do believe with that truck the flatbed to your house from a parking lot might be a MUCH better option.. Especailly if the trees have grown back. ;)

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Ha! Ha! Yuk! Yuk! The roof is almost cut through, just have to cut the floor!

Gulliver Arrives!

My gullwing modded GT arrived. No dents or rust-through, but there's paint flaking off bare metal everywhere, so it's gonna need a full exterior bare metal sanding. GT's with oem paint don't do that, so obviously some previous owner thought it would be a good idea to bare metal sand the car. I'm strongly disagree with doing that because this is exactly what can happen. The door lifter bar was entirely missing from one door and the window almost completely fell out when I opened the driver's door. The door latches are missing or incomplete. The headlights don't hit anything and move very freely by hand, but the cable has been disconnected. It's been 35 years since I had a GT with decent oem headlights and mechanisms. I like my brand new "Winter" rubber spoiler! Very rare and unusual and not as bold and styling changing as my previous spoilers. The first order of business was to remove the doors and put them in the basement. Each door has 4 small hinge bolts and 2 strut bolts. I removed them and the doors came right off. I was told and knew that the putty/paint was pretty bad at the tops of the door and that the overall roof line needed building up, but the roof line looks okay and the putty issue on the doors doesn't seem that bad. But then I noticed loose putty on the roof in front of the tops of the door on one side and picked at it. Two huge 1/4"-1/2" thick chunks of putty and paint came off. Oh, I see, they built up the roof to match the height of the doors. Not a surprise, the issue was expected, it will be the body shop's job to fix it all. I start stripping off the rest of the parts first thing tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I think you have quite the project there Mr Scifi Guy! I am sure that mind is spinning on all kinds of ideas now. I am happy you finally got her home to give it some love it needs. Looking forward to your build with anticipation, just like every Tuesday with the new Oak Island Mystery . I hope you will have more than one episode a week !

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
Wow, I hope you didn't get fleeced too badly on that.
It's in good hands as you find a way to make an opportunity of customization with every little piece of (I want to say crap) you come across.
Realistically, if it weren't for the horrible bondo patties, it seems like a decent blank slate.
Start sculpting your new masterpiece.

As above, I look forward to the Oak Island-style updates.

Reactions: jayhawkjesse33

·
Detritus Maximus
2,465 Posts
Gordon-

Congrats on finally getting it home! I'm sure that alone is a huge relief.

Two thoughts and a question...

First thought..that is a thick chunk of bondo. I wonder if a good restoration/custom shop could weld/blend a second GT roof skin to replace the bondo and maybe, just maybe, increase the roof/car rigidity in the process?

Second thought (donning my knock-off Gordo thinking cap...)..doors up, it needs one of those 'logo' projectors like they have on the bottoms of sideview mirrors to projecyt the Opel blitz onto the ground.

Question...that rubber spoiler looks suspiciously like an RX7 item, but I don't think it is. What did it come from?

·
Opeler
532 Posts
Congratulations Gordo, I'm sure glad this car is now in good hands. I hope it was as described to you by Todd and you got a "fair" deal. Definitely lots of work including sheet metal fab to get the body lines right without tons of bondo. Bondo should NEVER be that thick as it will fail do to flex and expansion/contraction. But what an awesome project and I have 100% confidence you will make it totally awesome and special!

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #155 (Edited)
It's a monstrous modification to reinforce the chassis, strengthen the window frames and roof, preserve the curve of the roof, create new door latching, etc. Klaus Priewe came up with an innovative way to strengthen the chassis for what is basically a convertible mod in essence. He raised the height of the rockers by about 5" and shortened the box of the doors by about the same 5". Brilliant! No underneath frame reinforcement or pipes needed. But, as a consequence, the windows don't roll all the way down. The door latches got repositioned to the bottoms of the doors. The design for this mod has been a somewhat closely guarded secret because Klaus sells this mod concept and it is his intellectual property. But this car is mine now, so I have every right to reveal some of it's design intricacies. I won't show in-depth pics of it all, but what the pics show is just some of the reinforcement mods that were done. Now, I don't know how the other gullwings were made and I presume that some details evolved over time. I also presume that the basic design is just that: Basic design concepts that the builder could work from. Each of the gullwings that were made probably vary in large and small ways. At least 2 of them had fiberglass replica doors made to reduce weight. Strut positions vary between cars and other things. Mine is probably the poorliest made of them all and there are a number of aspects that could have been made or configured much better. I will try to rectify a few of them, but I'm recently retired due to physical injury and on a budget and wasn't planning on doing another heavily modded car. I can't weld, but can fabricate some things better than your average guy, so I'll have to rely on others, like body shops and friends, to fix some of the details, like the strut mounting, door latches, etc. I simply don't have any room or interest to do bodywork and I'm highly sensitive to fiberglass particles, so all the putty work will have to be done by someone else.

I would say congradulations, but some of the pictures don't look overally inspiring
Well, I wanted a long, engaging, project and I got one.

Wow, I hope you didn't get fleeced too badly on that.

As above, I look forward to the Oak Island-style updates.
Oh dear Lord! I hope I'm not as dreadfully repititious as the Oak Island show! Ha!

I basically paid for the mod and a California shell of a car with just dry environment surface rust. Paying a shop just to do the door mod would easily cost what I paid for it.

First thought..that is a thick chunk of bondo. I wonder if a good restoration/custom shop could weld/blend a second GT roof skin to replace the bondo and maybe, just maybe, increase the roof/car rigidity in the process?
I'm stuck with what I've got. No one has worked on restoring a car modded like this, so it's virgin territory. I contacted Keith Lundholm about taking on the job, but he said he's booked for the next 2 years. He would probably want $15,000 to fix it up properly and I just can't afford that. There are guys here on this site and in the Opel world who are body work wizards and have the room and interest to fix up this car much better than I could. My skill set and claims to fame come on after a body has been all fixed up ready for assembly and assembly modifications.

At this moment, I have concluded that this job is way too much for my local Maaco to handle. I received and am contemplating an offer from Charles Goin to attend to the bodywork and he has access to a media blaster. The thought has occured to me that we could possibly cut the roof off of my old Red Baron car and put some of it's skin over the areas that have been built up with putty. The latch and strut mounting issues just need some better engineering thrown at them. I can handle that. But the rust removal or stabilization, possible roof skin grafting, and putty work is going to take a while to sort out.

I'm also realistic about my age and infirmities and financial situation. I really can't imagine being able to drive very safely after age 70, due to failing eye sight. I'm 61 now. So, realistically, I just need it to look and function good for the next 10 years. It will be garage kept, so it will be out of the damp weather 'round here, and primarily a car show car that is lightly driven. My GTX car will remain my "premium" car and it will remain a better car in every way. That car can do it all: Be a daily driver, drive it cross-country, drive it like a ninny hell-bent for leather, and still do well at car shows. It's super classy to drive and has all sorts of modern amenities inside. "Gulliver" will be a once in a while car, I'll probably drive it mostly to use up the fuel in the tank before it goes stale. It will make occasional car show appearances and that's it. Maybe I'll fix it up, use it for a few years and sell it. Maybe I'll give up on it and sell it. Maybe you'll have to pry it from my dying hands. All options are on the table.

Second thought (donning my knock-off Gordo thinking cap...)..doors up, it needs one of those 'logo' projectors like they have on the bottoms of sideview mirrors to projecyt the Opel blitz onto the ground.
I have those in the footwells of my GTX car.

Question...that rubber spoiler looks suspiciously like an RX7 item, but I don't think it is. What did it come from?
It's called a Winter Spoiler, made by a guy named Peter Winter. It's extremely flexible solid rubber or urethane or ????. Lay it on a flat table and the wing is dead straight across the top, laid on a curved GT rear it forms the arc that you see. Gordy Klug is selling a used one on Ebay right now. It's on a car he got and the paint is flaking off. This is one of the drawbacks of the spoiler's flexibilty and construction material. Here's the Ebay ad:

Here's a pic of a red car with a new Winter spoiler just laying on the car to give you a point of reference:

And here's a pic from the ad showing how the passenger side of the spoiler is warped. It looks to me that something had been laid on the spoiler while the car had been sitting unused for a long time and it caved it downwards:

Here's a pic of the wing showing it laid on a flat surface. Notice how flexible it is, just turning it upside down it's own weight straightens out the wing. Mine didn't come with a mounting bolt hole template, like my other wings came with, and I'm guessing that you have to guesstimate where to drill the holes. I will continue to guess that, due to the spoiler's extreme flexibility, that it would be wise to drill the mounting holes slightly wide towards the sides, so that it's hard to get the bolts in and you'll need to pull or stretch the wing towards the sides to get the bolts in. This would keep the wing taunt and under tension right-to-left and maybe prevent sagging.

Pics of mine laying on the ground:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
to quote Jim Carry ( aaallll rriiiggghhhtttyy tthheenn) let the fun begin. Is it a tall order? yea. Is it do able? Sure. Will it be freaking awesome when finished? YOU BET YOUR AZZ. Will Gordon give up on it? Only if he dies first. LOL. I bet your out there now thinking and tinkering. This is gonna be great to see and follow the Gordo effect take shape. Very excited for you my man. I'm raising the roof for you over here

·
Detritus Maximus
2,465 Posts
That's a nice looking spoiler. Not over the top.

The 2nd gen RX7 had something very similar, but rigid. Mine had a flexible black rubber one that sat low and flush, extending backwards, not up. I wanted to paint it, but worried about paint cracking.

If it's flexible, I wouldn't rely on tensioning the mounts. The rubber will always be trying to pull away and might separate from the anchors inside it.
I would make individual templates of each mounting pedestal. Place the spoiler on the car and trace around the center two mounts, then using those two templates mark/drill/mount the center. Then position the outers so there is very little tension and do the same one at a time.

On the other hand, I still have an old 60s/70s pedestal type spoiler laying around. Made of solid aluminum...just waiting for a man of your polishing talents!

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
also looks like the perfect time of year to have it dropped off at your front door while the trees are fixing to hibernate

·
Registered
650 Posts
The design for this mod has been a somewhat closely guarded secret because Klaus sells this mod concept and it is his intellectual property.
It's the boringest conversation about your car, but, I don't think it's anyone's intellectual property. It could be summed up as "He doesn't feel like telling anyone how it's done", same as anyone can choose not to tell someone something. If I fix a wobbley table and don't feel like explaining how, it's not that the solution is my "intellectual property", it's just me keeping my mouth shut. Especially if I'm in the business of fixing wobbly tables. The only way to keep that edge is to choose to be secretive, because there aren't any laws that protect me.

International IP laws under the Bern convention (all of them, all except like 2 countries in the world have signed) specifically doesn't cover things like recipes. Copyright applies to the specific words used to describe a recipe (just barely, as there's hardly any words in one and cooking verbiage is so routine that two strangers could easily independently create identical directions), but more importantly the combination of specific amounts of ingredients at a specific time in a specific way is not an ownable property. In the same way, how this particular gull wing mod is made, is not anyone's intellectual property. Copyright doesn't apply to a car mod. Only the specific words used to describe a mod or the instructions written for it apply to copyrights (if he's selling instructions on how to do it, you can't copy the words/pictures of those instructions and sell them yourself). A patent would also not apply (and unlike copyrights which exist simply by an artistic "work" being created, patents would have to be novel, registered and approved). Trademarks wouldn't apply either.

So it's just someone (understandably) not wanting to describe to his competition how he discovered how to best perform a task.

And indeed yes, nothing stopping you from describing it in every possible detail. His decision to zip it can't be forced on anyone else. Not without a trade secrets or non-disclosure agreement signed by you or allowed to you by a license agreement.

I can't weld
I think most would agree that neither can I. Hasn't stopped me from merging two cars together. :D

I dare say I'm even getting a little better at it. If you think yourself not capable, I think you're selling yourself short. Realistically, if you practised for a whole week, that's a lot of trigger time, and it would only take a week to make progress. For me, there's lots I don't like doing... in a rush. But as retirement finds you with lots of time and not a lot of money, and you might get bored waiting for funds or someone else to do it, maybe you change your list of can'ts.

"Won'ts" are a different matter. We've all got lots of those, and what's fun and not fun for us to do.

Just saying, retirement's a different game. Might broaden your limits a bit.

The thought has occured to me that we could possibly cut the roof off of my old Red Baron car
Why would you use a nice car as your skin graft donor?

As GTs rust from the bottom up, pretty much every field carcass would have an intact roofline for you to pilfer, no? I'm sure with your connections you could even get one outright donated to you in exchange for a ride around town when you're done.

I'm blown away with all the goop that was slathered on to create the new roofline. Though, that's obviously the better way of doing it (raising the roofline I mean, not specifically hiring your local brick mason to trowel on the bondo). That's the most surprising part of the mod to me so far. I was thinking they'd lowered the interior to fit the mechanism, which makes a lot less sense.

Wouldn't be too hard to get someone to make a fiberglass shell for you, if it's cheaper to hire out fiberglass work than metal. Just get a donor roof, wax it, make a fiberglass mold of that, few ribs for rigidity. Yank it off, use the mold to make a fiberglass top, then trim/adjust as needed.

I'm also realistic about my age and infirmities and financial situation. I really can't imagine being able to drive very safely after age 70
Bah. In 10 years there will be little mod kits to add sensors, steering and brake controls, and AI to make any car a self-driving car. Heck there are companies about to release those kids today. Cheap cheap cheap too. You might not be behind the wheel as much but you'll have the coolest highway-capable mobility scooter around!

It's called a Winter Spoiler, made by a guy named Peter Winter.
I'm not a big spoiler fan but I like it, it fits the car well.

Overall looks like a hell of a good time to fix it up and drive it around.

·
Über Genius
9,093 Posts
Someday Matt will shock the world wit a three word reply ;)

141 - 160 of 217 Posts