Opel GT Forum banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
5,083 Posts
Locks also come in many different styles for different valve manufacturers. A mismatch would also be a big no no.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I'm a pessimist by nature, so I'm prepared to expect the worst. That's means that I'm prepared for and expecting the whole motor to be toast. Anything short of that is a victory and I'll consider it good news. I can't see how I don't have piston damage or a bent valve. Any piston damage and the whole engine has to come out for inspection, cleaning, and repair. I spotted a 3/16" long bit of debris from the keeper sitting on top of the head, so there's probably more in the pan. Prudently, the whole engine probably needs to come out.

·
Super Moderator
14,056 Posts
I'm a pessimist by nature, so I'm prepared to expect the worst. That's means that I'm prepared for and expecting the whole motor to be toast. Anything short of that is a victory and I'll consider it good news. I can't see how I don't have piston damage or a bent valve. Any piston damage and the whole engine has to come out for inspection, cleaning, and repair. I spotted a 3/16" long bit of debris from the keeper sitting on top of the head, so there's probably more in the pan. Prudently, the whole engine probably needs to come out.
Agreed, sounds like it will need to come out. Probably piston damage. Definitely valve damage, probably valve seat and valve guide damage.

Sucks to hear this Gordon.

On the other hand, I now have a little more time to make your throttle body adapter much nicer in appearance and function.

• Haha
Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Über Genius
9,521 Posts
I've played with the keepers quite a bit looking for something other than "Opel" keepers that were more readily available.
I did find some that were super close but off by a hair. I can see how those would end up in an Opel engine.

Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.

I'm betting the worst that happened, after seeing the culprit, is that you'd need a new #4 piston and rebuild the head.

Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Yeah, that sounds like the situation at the very least. Luckily all these engine troubles I've had haven't cost me anything, they're under a gentleman's agreement warranty. The removal of these engines, getting them to Virginia, waiting without a running car, and then fetching and putting them back in is on me.

Since the engine will likely have to come out and Charlie is fast tracking finally putting my other engine together, plus my car needing a paint job, but otherwise being fully functional, I may decide to remove the Motronic and install the new fuel injection system on the new/old engine in the GTX. If it works good, then I'll buy another similar fuel injection system and put this fixed valve problem engine in the yellow car.

I need to name these engines to avoid confusion. The previous engine was a 2.5 and my present engine is a 2.4 with no serial number, so, the "no name" engine or "incognito"engine.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I was expecting to read something bad happened when you made the trip north to get back home.
After seeing how it blew out so soon afterwards, in retrospect I too would have expecting it to fail on the trip home.

Gordo, I picked up an inexpensive Bosch boroscope camera for under $40 a few weeks ago.
I bought a pair for $25 total, shipping included. Gave one away I think.

But mine you had to plug into a cell phone or computer the way you would a webcam, had no screen of its own.

·
Opeler
950 Posts
I talked with Charlie and he thinks one of the locks or "keepers" may not have been fully seated or the shop who assembled the head used a too large keeper. He said there are 2 sizes, something like 5/16" and 9/32", and they may have put the wrong size on. Bottom line: All the rockers and such need to come off to inspect their condition. But that's not the worst of it. Without that lock/keeper there was nothing pulling the valve back into the head. The rocker would push it down, but nothing was able to pull it back into the head to seal the combustion chamber, hence, ZERO compression. That valve was basically open all the time. But I said the worst of it, didn't I? Without anything pulling it back into the head the valve could just keep dropping down.........and hit the piston as it goes up and down.

We'll see what the scope shows

I'm not optimistic.

😩
I’d be a little nervous right now if I got an Opel engine from that shop. Not an area that “close enough” will work.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
The scope arrived. I stuck it in the spark plug hole and looked down at the piston. I'm not experienced at looking at this sort of thing, but what I think I see is the edge of the top of the piston and the side of the cylinder and they both look nuked. It looks to me like the cylinder bore is badly gouged and that means that this engine is dead and heading to the smelter. I'm commencing to take the head off and remove the engine. I gotta get all this unpleasantness done before the body shop gives me my other car, which could be any second now.

Output device Gadget Television set Display device Gas
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Gadget

Gadget Display device Gas Technology Electronic device

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Detritus Maximus
3,083 Posts
Gordon,
Does that scope have the ability to take pics/video and download them?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Let's hope it's just the screen trying to make sense of what the camera is looking at.
But as another untrained eye, Your right Gordon that's scary looking,
I have a different scope than you but it wouldn't fit into the spark plug bung enough to look down into the bore much.
So I too was getting a bit of a weird side angle view But I was able to see the carbon build up on the top of the piston.
I'll keep my fingers and toes (cause there cramping today anyway) crossed for you that it's not the worse and just a digital glitch🤞

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
stupid Q'n time, and I'm sure you did, but did you scope 1-3 as well to see if your getting the same?

·
Opel Key Master
5,335 Posts
Yeah it looks like garbage, but it’s hard to tell. Maybe it’s too close and just can’t tell, I would say a video going slowly in and back and forth, the one pic just looks like honing marks and doesn’t look out of the order. I’m in the camp that it doesn’t matter, the head is coming off anyways…just Nike it…Just Do It

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I pulled the head.

GOOD news! No block damage! Hooray! The piston is a little gauged up and will probably need replacing and the valve is bent and won't close. All in all, I'm happy with what I found.
🙂
Tomorrow I will drain the oil, remove the oil pan, and extract #4 piston.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Land vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive engine gasket

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Audio equipment Bumper Gas

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Audio equipment Car subwoofer

Automotive tire Tire Water Tread Motor vehicle

·
Opel Key Master
5,335 Posts
I don’t think it’s as easy as just putting in a new piston. The cylinders are usually machined for each piston. Those look like stock 2.4 pistons…but may be oversized? I don’t know if I feel like that piston is damaged enough that I would worry about it, but just clean it up and maybe polish the cutting on it

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
NOW why was that one hanging up? is the question
The valve wasn't hanging up, the keeper/lock became disconnected from the valve, so there was nothing to pull the valve back up after the rocker pushed it down. So, then the valve, which would then stick down farther than it normally goes, was getting hit by the piston and shoved upwards. The valves are at an angle relative to the piston, so that valve got bent by the impact. We're virtually certain that the machine shop F'd up and put the wrong size keeper on that valve and maybe others. Apparently his machine shop did this goof before, but he caught it before it went to a customer. I would have to remove all the springs/caps/keepers and inspect them, but since that valve is bent it should go back to the shop. We'll probably put a different head on the engine.

I don’t think it’s as easy as just putting in a new piston. The cylinders are usually machined for each piston. Those look like stock 2.4 pistons…but may be oversized? I don’t know if I feel like that piston is damaged enough that I would worry about it, but just clean it up and maybe polish the cutting on it
It's a low mileage factory replacement engine with it's original pistons, just the valves have been made bigger with Chevy ones. It was suggested to me to just try to sand/grind the gouging smoothish. This sounds like a rig job to me. What if the piston is cracked or something where the impacts were? Yeah, I would tape off all the openings in the block and try to git'er done in the car, but it seems better to me to at least remove the piston to do that job and give it an inspection. There may be piston particles down in the rings. Since Charlie has bunches of 2.4 pistons, it would seem prudent to just pick a good one, put some new rings on it, and swap out the damaged one. I guess it boils down to a judgement call on my part as to how nuclear I want to go.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts