Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Opel lovers,

I have only had a few posts on here since I have just found my likings for Opels. But within the two weeks I have gotten to this site, I bought my first Opel Earlier today. The Opel was not brought home today because I have to install some new brake pads on them before it is to be driven. But overall the only things wrong are, rust below battery, brakes were grinded to heck, and the dash is cracked. Other then that it fires up perfectly everytime.

Things I will be changing that I will need help with.

1. It has the carb I do not want on it so I will be buying a weber.
-If you know the type to buy please post it here because I have no clue.
2. Paint Job
-I dont have a specific color I want so if you would like to post and give me a color you would like to see on the car I will put it into consideration.
3. New Radio
- It only has an AM raidio and I need my classic rock, so if you know where I can find a radio please notify me!
4. I want to replace the front end where the rust is by the battery
- How and what do I need to do this, and where can I find a new front end. I DO NOT want the new fiberglass crap they came out with, (Sorry but Im an all classic kinda kid :p)
5. Dash
- Any way possible to buy a whole new dash? Ive looked everywhere and cannot find it.
6. Re-chrome
- What should the average price be to get ALL the chrome on the car RE-chromed, oe dipped, or whatever you call it.
7. Rebuild Engine
- The car only has 31,000 origional miles on it, but I want to be safe and rebuild the engine, how do I go about getting the thing out, how long is the work hours to get it out, and how many people do I need to get it out. I have an engine stand but nothing to hoist it out of the bay with.
8. Transmission
- The car is an Automatic and I was wondering if there was any way of checking the transmission to be sure its in good working condition.
9. Seatbelts
- The seatbelts are being held together by duct tape. Where can I find a cheap set of seat belts. (3 Piece) Not a 2 Piece set.

Well that about covers what all I need help with, sorry I am so opel dumb lol. Hope you guys and gals can help me out alittle bit.

Your friendly Opeler (Finally)
73OpelMan

·
415 Posts
Glad you were able to find a nice one quickly. I can give you my thought on a few of your questions.

73OpelMan said:
Hello fellow Opel lovers,
3. New Radio
- It only has an AM raidio and I need my classic rock, so if you know where I can find a radio please notify me! If you ar a "Classic Guy" then leave the original AM radio in the dash and install what you want under the back flap. I did a MP3 player with XM.
4. I want to replace the front end where the rust is by the battery
- How and what do I need to do this, and where can I find a new front end. I DO NOT want the new fiberglass crap they came out with, (Sorry but Im an all classic kinda kid :p) Cut and weld. In most cases the rust is only in an area around the batt. If you have the skills just cut that out and fab a replacement out of sheet metel
5. Dash
- Any way possible to buy a whole new dash? Ive looked everywhere and cannot find it.Search this site many here have used dash covers. I am lucky and do not have this problem.
6. Re-chrome
- What should the average price be to get ALL the chrome on the car RE-chromed, oe dipped, or whatever you call it.I paid $300 for all the bumper parts.
7. Rebuild Engine
- The car only has 31,000 origional miles on it, but I want to be safe and rebuild the engine, how do I go about getting the thing out, how long is the work hours to get it out, and how many people do I need to get it out. I have an engine stand but nothing to hoist it out of the bay with. If that is the original milage you should not have to re-build unless there is a problem. These are great motors and run a long time with good care. Other than that the prefered method seems to be to DROP it whith the trany. There are pleanty of threads that talk about it, use the search function

Welcome to the group and have fun!

73OpelMan

·
427 Posts
Glad to see you finally got it! You'll have to cruise it on over here to P'cola sometime. I work over in Navarre and FWB sometimes. Will send you a PM next time I am scheduled to be over there and maybe can stop by on my way back. Have you considered changing the tranny to to a manual? So much more fun to drive in these cars. I'll let you take mine for a spin if you have not had the chance to do so already. Look forward to reading how the progress goes!

·
Opeler
62 Posts
Wrangler-
Do you ever take your car to the shows on 9 Mile RD in the Big Lots Parking lot? I live here in Pensacola, but my GT is in storage in CT at the moment. It would be nice to see an Opel around town some time.
Jeff

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello 73opelman, It sounds like your in for a good time with your car. I just bought a 73 gt in Ky. It had been sitting up for around 23 years but still runs great. I would not rebuild your motor unless you have a problem. As wolf spyder stated these engines are very good. One thing i will point out is you did not say anything about the headlights, The insulation falls off right behind the headlights and will short out. I understand some of these cars have caught fire because of this. You may be lucky and they might have been rewired already but you should check this out ! Do a search on headlight or headlight wiring and you will find lots of info. on this subject. I put off rewiring mine until i saw the smoke comming from the lights ! Have fun with your car, John.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts