Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving Maggie the Opel for three weeks now while my Mach 1 is in the shop getting a new motor. It's taken the better part of ten days to get Maggie up to snuff, but she's runnin' pretty good.

Coming back from the airport last nite, I get behind this late model Dodge pickup. Now you gotta understand - I drive my cars fairly hard. Maggie routinely gets wound up past 5 grand on the freeway - you guys know the math on that.

Anyway, after buzzing I-94 at speed, Maggie and I hit the Southfield Freeway interchange. It's a cool interchange - freeway to freeway, decreasing radius downhill left, two lanes wide merging to one at the end of the ramp - rated 35 MPH. While I've got momentum up, I try to slingshot past the Dodge truck so as to set up for the inside lane. Hemi-boy sees this and tips in.

snot.

I hammer Maggie. We both aim for the interchange curve side by-at 85-90 MPH. As we roll up, I start laughing...An old fashioned game of chicken, with the curve the ultimate judge. I've already got my braking marker picked out and an entrance speed set in my mind; will be interesting to see what the pickup does...

Two seconds B4 I'm set to brake, the Hemi's nose drops...95 MPH. He *finally* figured out the end result of stuffing a 4x4 goin' 95 into a curve marked 35.

Okay, truckasuaraus - it's time for the Opel show!

At the brake point, I jab Maggie's binders hard enough to shave 25 MPH off terminal velocity. Would do no good whatsoever to have a rust-free Opel kiss a concrete wall. Left a little brake on to set the front wheels, and off we went around the bend...

Whee! Maggie acted just like I knew she would - nice turn in, and a neutral drift to the apex. After clipping it (a bit wide, but okay) I got back in and let the back end drift *just* a little...

At 70 MPH.

Perfect.

Finish the turn; check for the truck.

Hemi-boy is a good 20 carlengths behind.

He never tried to catch up after that.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Enjoy!

Just as well you changed your mind about selling Maggie the Opel.
Hope she never finds out how close it came to her being moved on!

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
chuckspeed...maybe one day if your not doing anything maggie would like to meet some of her old cousins she's not seen in years. 2 GTs here and another to come on saturday!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
greensmurf20 said:
chuckspeed...maybe one day if your not doing anything maggie would like to meet some of her old cousins she's not seen in years. 2 GTs here and another to come on saturday!
Opels can be addicting.

I had a bunch at one point. Two runnin' GT's, two runnin' Mantas, a parts Ralleye Manta, and two parts GTs - one with a 1.1 liter motor. Now I'm down to one lousy Ascona that won't die.

I let a friend drive her home from pickin' up the Mach. The Mach is a widowmaker - I can get rubber at 80 MPH - so it was only logical that my buddy drive Maggie.

'So - whatcha think?' I asked.

'She's niice! Rides better than my Mustang GT 'vert, and simply purrs down the road. Nice cool old car!'

This is coming from a guy with a flawless '71 Challenger.

Jared - here's whatcha should do...

Bring your GT to Woodward Dream Cruise. You can hang out with us, but there will be a bunch of goofy Mustang guy to deal with.

Third week of August.

Lemme know.

Chuck.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Lead the Way!

chuckspeed said:
Opels can be addicting.

Jared - here's whatcha should do...

Bring your GT to Woodward Dream Cruise. You can hang out with us, but there will be a bunch of goofy Mustang guy to deal with.

Third week of August.

Lemme know.

Chuck.
Woodward Dream Cruise - 100,000 plus cars and 1.5 million people watching them with an Opel GT (in Blue on White GT40 livery) leading a bunch of Mustangs down the Boulevarde........

GO! Jared GO!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GTJIM said:
Woodward Dream Cruise - 100,000 plus cars and 1.5 million people watching them with an Opel GT (in Blue on White GT40 livery) leading a bunch of Mustangs down the Boulevarde........

GO! Jared GO!
Keep in mind there will be a powder blue Ascona there, too.

Maggie has her own fan club; there's a couple of guys who show up *just* to worship her as the ultimate 70's rallye car.

It IS cool...

The High Holy Holiday of the House of Speed and Chrome at the Center of the Known Motoring Universe. If you like things-with-motors, this is the (and I'm not making this up) MOTHER of all car shows - stretching for about 8 miles. When I say ten miles...EVERY square foot on either side of Woodward is PACKED with cars and people for EIGHT MILES.

You gotta see it to believe it. Mardi Gras with motors.

Freakin' beautiful, man.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Dream Cruise

So Maggie can lead the way and the GT can follow!

Bought some GT parts off a guy who lives a few blocks from the Cruise Boulevade and he wised me up to the "Woodward Dream Cruise" web page.
Just put that header into your search engine and stuff comes up for at least the last five years - cars and more cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts