Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1971 Opel GT
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on the complete restoration of a 1971 Opel GT for the past 12 months. I have completed stripping to bare metal and the needed welding repairs and finish paint of the interior and bottom. Meanwhile a running 1970 became available in the vicinity, and I bought it. My intention is to drive this car until my restoration is complete. It is pretty much stock except for the engine and trans. It has a 2.4 with Weber 38/38 and a Getrag. The body seems solid except for the fender rims. There are a bunch of extra parts which I hope to find a home for during the Carlisle Import show, as I live close by. I have removed the Mercedes? seats and reinstalled a stock pair. They will be available. They are black and grey leather and in good condition but do have some wear from usage.

I do have a question about the transmission. It seems to work fine but there is extreme sideways slop in the shifter when it is in gear. The only car I remember driving like this was an old 914. Does this mean there are some worn bushings or something? Thanks,

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,580 Posts
You probably should replace the plastic ball seat for the shifter.

Dieter

Automotive tire Wood Bicycle part Wheel Rim

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,580 Posts
Which specific shifter is this in the picture? Thanks.
The upgrade from Splendid parts in Germany. It was just the quickest way for me to put an arrow to the actual part, even if the original Getrag/Opel part is slightly different. Check with Opel GT Source whether they have an original replacement.

Dieter

·
Premium Member
1971 Opel GT
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Helmet Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Personal protective equipment

Here is a picture of my shifter. There is no plate above the ball joint. Do you recognize this shifter? It looks like one shown in the Opel GT Source catalog. The problem must be on the under side. Maybe the holes in the yoke are worn badly. Do I need to access that from the underside? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,068 Posts
.. View attachment 439767

Here is a picture of my shifter. There is no plate above the ball joint. Do you recognize this shifter? It looks like one shown in the Opel GT Source catalog. The problem must be on the under side. Maybe the holes in the yoke are worn badly. Do I need to access that from the underside? Thanks.
That is a stock Opel Getrag shifter modified to fit a GT, as most of us have done. OGTS used to sell the repair parts (the plastic ball ring, and the side bearings etc) but I don't see it there now. Edelschmiede still sells the Getrag 240 shifter parts ( as I suspect Splendid also does, both great Euro shops to deal with) such as shown in this search:

Attachments

Reactions: RallyBob

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Zip ties?
How does that happen?

·
Super Moderator
6,068 Posts
Zip ties?
How does that happen?
Hmm, I missed the zip ties in Jay's photo of his Getrag shifter shaft. Perhaps used to hold the pin in place if the factory spring metal sleeve on the coupler is missing? The pin seems to be there, but perhaps the wrong one, or not properly installed?

Here are some additional photos of my Getrag shifter parts that might provide some hint as to what is wrong. It is all quite simple, with a ball at each end, and a single short shaft with a socket at each end and matching couplers to connect the shifter to the transmission.

I would take the shifter off (four bolts and the two couplers), and the problem should be obvious.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
You noticed that? Have not determined the function of them yet. Spacer??
I had to chuckle when I saw it,
as I could hear Kyler saying that isn't a approved factory option LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts