Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just obtained my first Opel - this 1900 “Sport Coupe” (aka Manta). I bought it from a gentleman that had owned if for over 22 years and he said he has had over twenty five Mantas over the years. It needs some help from being in long term storage but is really solid and I haven’t been able to find any corrosion on it. It’s a forty footer, the paint isn’t very nice and has cracks all over. For what it’s worth it has a Rallye badge on the trunk. There are a number of unfortunate personal modifications on the car, although some I can understand such as the 14” BMW bottle cap wheels and others that are a matter of taste not to my liking. The interior is very functional but not stock, it has homemade vinyl door panels and Chevy S-10 front seats. The engine is unmodified except for a wacky electronic ignition system. And issues with the gauges. I’ll be checking it out more.
I know everyone likes pictures... and I know it's not a '72 dash cover...

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Cloud

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Plant Hood

Vehicle Land vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Car Grille Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
1,095 Posts
I just obtained my first Opel - this 1900 “Sport Coupe” (aka Manta). I bought it from a gentleman that had owned if for over 22 years and he said he has had over twenty five Mantas over the years. It needs some help from being in long term storage but is really solid and I haven’t been able to find any corrosion on it. It’s a forty footer, the paint isn’t very nice and has cracks all over. For what it’s worth it has a Rallye badge on the trunk. There are a number of unfortunate personal modifications on the car, although some I can understand such as the 14” BMW bottle cap wheels and others that are a matter of taste not to my liking. The interior is very functional but not stock, it has homemade vinyl door panels and Chevy S-10 front seats. The engine is unmodified except for a wacky electronic ignition system. And issues with the gauges. I’ll be checking it out more.
I know everyone likes pictures... and I know it's not a '72 dash cover...

View attachment 446228

View attachment 446229

View attachment 446230

View attachment 446231

View attachment 446232

View attachment 446233
Nitromancer, Congratulations on the purchase of your first Opel and it looks like a nice one. Best Wishes with getting you hands dirty as you begin to solve those issues that tend to come up with a 50 year old car. Looking forward to seeing your progress and hearing all about it. Best, Carl

·
Über Genius
10,019 Posts
$6,000?

Reactions: Nitromancer

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,736 Posts
It looks great. And, hey, I love these wheels!

Dieter

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments and support.
I went to transfer the title and the sellers Ohio title had the spelling was “Opal” which wasn’t in the Michigan computer system. I was super relieved that it was all resolved rather promptly because I’d didn’t know what it may take to sort out a title problem.
My greatest concern is preserving this car. With the high humidity in the summer along with winter it’s a challenge and the road salt makes it more difficult. Even a car that is garaged all the time can get rusty here.
It’s kinda funny that what I call unfortunate touches from the previous owner, like the hood scoop and rear spoiler, don’t bother me as much as they did at first but I still would prefer to get rid of them. Same with the BMTroubleYou rims.
It’s licensed and ready to roll. The fuel gauge doesn’t work so that’ll be tricky to not run out of gas. The tach doesn’t work either. Anyone know a good guy that can sort that out along with removing the vintage Mallory ignition?
And my first investment was buying some key blanks because I only have one set of keys.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Hot Diggity Nitro,
Congrats,
Although I had you figured for a gt guy, LOL, not really
You will finally enjoy the workings of figuring stuff out, swearing on more occasions than you can't count ( so don't do a swear jar)
But it will be joy to you and you'll have a lot of fun
Keep us posted and enjoy the moments
Terry

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,963 Posts
There's dudes that would sell their testicles to get that awesome hood. The hood latches on those models can be a huge major problem when they get stuck, which is probably why he made that hood use hood pins. The carbon fiber on the bottom is awesome and would be quite an eye catcher at car shows, even though you would have to take it off and lay it on the ground for mandatory engine display.

Your awesome wheels are also worthy of testicle auction to many people, including GTers.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just so everyone knows those are faux hood pins, they don’t do anything but look pretty and account for some extra holes in the hood.
The wheels are rather ingenious: they are 14” BMW “bottle cap” rims with… this is cool… center caps from an 80s Dodge Omni. It works well when you wouldn’t think it would, but then again when you have a good body you can get away with a lot; like the hot gal wearing plaid and stripes.

·
Registered
The Young One
1,725 Posts
Awesome! looks like a good first opel! Are you going to come to the springfield show with it?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts