Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Opeler
781 Posts
Springfield?
I’d like to go & I was thinking it’d be a fun trip in the 1900SC (Should I call it a Manta?).
But basically Not sure.
And I’m just cynical enough that I’m not sure how much I can trust my new-old car.
Congratulations! Looks like you have a solid project to start with.

If your car isn't up to par, just come to hang out and enjoy the show. It's a great atmosphere.

Reactions: Nitromancer

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,584 Posts
I just obtained my first Opel - this 1900 “Sport Coupe” (aka Manta). I bought it from a gentleman that had owned if for over 22 years and he said he has had over twenty five Mantas over the years. It needs some help from being in long term storage but is really solid and I haven’t been able to find any corrosion on it. It’s a forty footer, the paint isn’t very nice and has cracks all over. For what it’s worth it has a Rallye badge on the trunk. There are a number of unfortunate personal modifications on the car, although some I can understand such as the 14” BMW bottle cap wheels and others that are a matter of taste not to my liking. The interior is very functional but not stock, it has homemade vinyl door panels and Chevy S-10 front seats. The engine is unmodified except for a wacky electronic ignition system. And issues with the gauges. I’ll be checking it out more.
I know everyone likes pictures... and I know it's not a '72 dash cover...
I had inquired about this Manta with Mr. Lane. He told me that he had put a 1974 dash into it. The good news is the dash pad from OGTS is designed for the 74-75 dashes with the extra vent openings. I put a 74 dash in my 72 Ascona (it has less cracks than the original one). I'm thinking about putting tweeters into the extra openings.

He also told me that the engine had a "solid lifter cam" in it. If true, that is definitely not "unmodified"!

My Ascona came with an MSD ignition setup which I believe is similar to the Mallory one in yours. The ignition module apparently doesn't send the proper signal to activate the stock Opel tach. That's probably the same issue that you're seeing with your tach. MSD wanted over $100 for a plug-in adapter to convert the signal to something that the Opel tach recognizes. I ordered this one from ebay and received it yesterday.

tach signal booster

I'll let you know if it works for mine. It may work for yours too. You can contact the seller and ask him.

Where are you located?

·
2,024 Posts
I agree with David, come to Springfield with or without your Manta. Probably give you a chance to talk with others who have more experience with the type. Also put out a call for parts you may need. Not sure how long a drive you are looking at. Try doing a couple of 200mi round trips this summer. If they work out, you may want to give it a try. Also maybe see if someone is close enough to caravan with you. Others have needed a little help before, and this is the kind of group that tends to step up to the plate.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for the encouragement and support.
super cool you figured out the tack!
Yes this car is a bit of a mash-up or a bitsa: a little bit from this car a few bits from that car… but it runs & shifts well and has new tires too.
I’m in Waterford, Michigan.
I hope I can arrange to be away for Springfield, it’s about 475 miles and just not sure how much risk taking the Opel would be.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement and support.
super cool you figured out the tack!
Yes this car is a bit of a mash-up or a bitsa: a little bit from this car a few bits from that car… but it runs & shifts well and has new tires too.
I’m in Waterford, Michigan.
I hope I can arrange to be away for Springfield, it’s about 475 miles and just not sure how much risk taking the Opel would be.
Are they still doing the Woodword Avenue Dream Cruise out there? That used to be quite the event when we were living in Troy. I was the only Opel GT in site but I remember hundreds of classic cars in mint condition from all over the country. It was a good little boost to the economy down that 10 mile stretch or however long it was. Every summer. I’ve never seen anything like it since.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes the Woodward Dream Cruise is just a few weeks away. Because of Covid I haven’t gone since I moved back here & for ten years before that I was in Tennessee.
The actual cruise on Saturday is huge and the weekdays before there’s a lot of cars out too.
I have to see if I can spot any other Opel 1900 sport coupes.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Yes the Woodward Dream Cruise is just a few weeks away. Because of Covid I haven’t gone since I moved back here & for ten years before that I was in Tennessee.
The actual cruise on Saturday is huge and the weekdays before there’s a lot of cars out too.
I have to see if I can spot any other Opel 1900 sport coupes.
Good to hear, I actually enjoyed the two weeks prior going up & down Woodward more than the actual event itself. Just a spectacular event! My GT was the beater in the bunch. Okay my intention wasn’t to hijack here but thanks for the update. I hope you can make it down there and spot another Opel !

·
Opeler
198 Posts
This is an awesome car. I do remember seeing it for sale some years back. I am not certain it's a Rallye but i know it has a lot of Rallye bits and pieces. for example the front fog lights are a tremendous find! I do recall this car was originally blue and you can find traces of that under the black paint in the trunk. The burgundy was a 73-75 Manta Luxus color which I happen to adore (and I grew up with one). However, the blue Rallye cars are just absolutely fantastic if that is the path you wish to go with.

Reactions: Nitromancer

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks for the nice comments.
Yes it was blue, the seller said it was repainted blue when he got it but the paint was flaking off.
I don’t really think it’s a Rallye and it’s such a bitsa it doesn’t really matter at this point.
I’ve been able to find the proper seats for it too. The fronts have a few seams popping but that won’t bother me.
I’d love it in the original blue but I don’t see myself starting that; I’d probably never finish it.

·
535 Posts
Nice looking Manta, and good call on the return to stock hood and trunk lid. It makes a big difference! Yes, I would call it a Manta as I believe the US was the only market that used the 1900 Sport Coupe name for ‘71-‘72, while it was known as a Manta in the rest of the world from the beginning.
Enjoy your Manta!
-Jeff W

·
Opeler
997 Posts
Nice looking Manta, and good call on the return to stock hood and trunk lid. It makes a big difference! Yes, I would call it a Manta as I believe the US was the only market that used the 1900 Sport Coupe name for ‘71-‘72, while it was known as a Manta in the rest of the world from the beginning.
Enjoy your Manta!
-Jeff W

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments.
But it looks a bit better in pics than in person. The paint is crazed all over except the hood and trunk lid of course.
I agree that in the pics it does seem a bit high in front. I haven’t noticed this is person. The front tires are smaller than the rears; 205/50r14 vs 225/60r14 (from memory) which creates a bit more space between top of front tire to body opening than on the rear.
I’ve been driving every day and it runs well. I haven’t really had to do anything to it to drive it, so it’s been an turn key purchase so far.
Sadly I need to put it away for the winter before we get any snow and the roads get any salt on them.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts