Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got the window I needed lined out thanks to Nobody. No pun intended. But before I screw it up a little help would surfice. I have taken off a lot of door handles on different cars and pickups. But I think this has a special Opel touch. Any help? I sure would be greaful.

Thank you

Parker

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
Interior or exterior door handle?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
removal, replacement or what? Interior door handle has a black plastic cover that will pop out and a a chrome piece that has 1 phillips screw in the middle. The actual handle will be exposed and is bolted to the door. Exterior needs the door panel removed and there is a 10mm nut on the tip of the handle accessable from the inside of the door and a 10 mm head bolt that goes through the end of the door. Window crank has a funny clip that is best to get the removal tool from someplace like checker or Autozone.HTH

It's been a running joke for a while. " I have an Opel and nobody helps."

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that's what I thought. but this one has a plane crome handle with a black plactic knob. I must have some kind of an after mkt item. Go figure. Darn I wonder how this little bad boy comes off the regulator post?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
it has a clip on the back side what is between the plastic ring and handle itself. the removal tool is cheap and well worth it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay door stripped, all the old glass is out. What a science project, but got it cleaned up. Just have to blow it out with the air gun. Next clean the interior of the car for all the little pieces of glass that blasted through the car when the punks threw the big bolder into the window. Any tricks that I should know about when I start to put the glass in? Looks pretty standard from here. Well calling it night and off to the Big D to get the glass thanks to Nobody. Also thanks to all of you that helped me out today. Without the help I would still be thinking about how to get this project done. You were all great.

Parker

·
165 Posts
Keeper Ring

baz said:
you can get them off with a small flat blade screwdriver if you have patience
Can you elaborate? Does the keeper ring need to pulled before the handle will come off? I assume so... but looking for clarity...

Thanks, Mark

·
199 Posts
Yes the horseshoe shaped wire ring will need to come off before the window crank can be removed. The wire ring slips into a groove on the regulator shaft and hold the crank handle on.

hth
Brian

·
Registered
275 Posts
I use the 'other tool than the manufacturer recommends' as well. Screwdriver usually. Just beware the jesus-clip effect. That's when the little springy thing goes flying into the ether and you say jeeeesus! (No blasphemy meant.)
If you do use a screwdriver beware of damaging the panel, etc. It's a tight fit behind that window crank and very easy to slide off the spring and gouge something with the screwdriver.
Having fun,

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Trust Me!

Just get one of those "proper" GM tools and I promise you will NEVER use a screwdriver again - in fact you will go around looking for cars to remove window winders from; just to impress people! ;)

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
GTJIM said:
Just get one of those "proper" GM tools and I promise you will NEVER use a screwdriver again - in fact you will go around looking for cars to remove window winders from; just to impress people! ;)

Yeah, I agree. 15 - 25 minutes of struggling with a screwdriver and cussing, vs. spending $4 and getting it off in less than 15 seconds. Shay cool.

·
239 Posts
I had the same on VW's

I used to use a screw driver on my 1970 Karman Ghia as well.

I've got a question, not having been into the Opel doors yet. Can someone tell me the logic behind the passenger window crank being almost on the floor? Is there a clearance reason for this inside :confused:

·
1,875 Posts
When you reinstall the handle go ahead and put the wire clip back on the crank and because the regulator is tapered, the handle goes on with just a pop of your fist....no need to try and install the clip after the crank is reinstalled.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Rick, the reason, I believe, for the window regulator being down so low is because if it was any higher, it would interfere with the door pull strap. At least that's my thouhts on the reasoning of it being so low. :confused:

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Originally on the 69 and 70 models both were down low as a design feature. In 71 and later years it was moved up on the drivers side only.

Why is a good question, if you find somebody that has the answer, ask them about the shear bolts and the odd brake bias. My opinion is good beer and a late friday design.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.