Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Opeler
94 Posts
Hey campers. I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows of the adapter/installation kit required to mount a Grant steering wheel?

I see a few of these come up for auction and I like some of them. Momo's are a little pricey. Is there anything to watch out for when installing these?

Also, which size do you guys prefer? I know there is some personal preference involved here. No racing involved with mine.
Help appreciated. The Grant folks don't seem to want to answer my Emails.
:(

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
Steering Wheels

As far as I know Grant no longer makes an adapter for the Opel "there is no such thing as an Opel" to them. As for size you need to check your local laws, in Texas a 12" wheel is as small as you can go legally, even though I have run a 10" for years. In fact my ol 55 Chevy pick em up use to have an 8" on it, with G60 14s on a 8" wheel on front, man you had to be rolling to turn that one. I like the 10" on my GT and have no problems steering even when it had the stock front suspension and 225 50 15's on front. And it's so much fun taking it to get it inspected each year, the guy goes can't pass you cause your steering wheel is too small, I just tell him go ahead drive it, test the brakes and when you get back let me know if the wheel is to small, it passes every time, especially when they come back and want to turn the lights on and can't figure how to and by then they have forgotten about the steering wheel.
rk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Grant steering wheel

hey campers. I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows of the adapter/installation kit required to mount a Grant steering wheel?

I see a few of these come up for auction and I like some of them. Momo are a little pricey. Is there anything to watch out for when installing these?

Also, which size do you guys prefer? I know these is some personal preference involved here. No racing involved with mine.
Help appreciated. The Grant folks don't seem to want to answer my Emails.
:(
Grant did not answer my emails either. They did stop making the adapter and I agree with the statement Opel doesn't exist in their eyes. I did find one on ebay and bought it although they stated that it only fits 67-69. My GT is a 1972 and I am just taking a chance on it and hopefully Opel GT steering wheel columns did not change a whole lot in 72. I will be trying it soon and let you know. I hope that the date is when they stopped making the adaptors. Just don't know. Just like you stated I really couldn't afford the MoMo wheels and I have found several different types of Grant wheels on Craigslist, so this was the more economical route for me. I'm just starting to restore and I have to put my money in other places first like my brakes, etc. Keep checking ebay and maybe another will come up. I will try to attach pictures of the adapter I purchased and the steering wheel. I only paid $20 for the steering wheel, so I hope it works out. Good luck and let me know how it turns out for you. Wish you the best!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
I bought a Grant steering wheel, then found out about the "no adapter available". With a little grinding, re-threading the holes and new bolts, I made my own adapter. Had to use socket head screws to clear everything. Wanted to be sure it didn't come apart in my hands, I pulled, pushed, turned, and then got really violent with it. I have to say it isn't going any where. If you look at the Grant steering wheel pattern and the original Opel steering set up, you can see that it isn't difficult to modify the original Opel set up to accept the Grant wheel. Wish I had pictures, but unfortunately never took any. About an hour's work, well worth the time and effort.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts