Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ann
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:veryhappy Hello All. I have just uncovered a 1971 Opel Kadett rough around the edges with a beautiful interior. It is light green, two door, with miles in the low teens. Yes I did say LOW teens. It was my grandmother's daily driver (YMCA, church and the grocery store). In 1985, when she couldn't drive anymore, it was buried in a quonset hut. I don't know much about the engine as of yet. It appears to be a 4 speed from the pattern on the shifter nob (does that seem right?). I know my dad (a race car driver) said that the little car could move and the engine out performed the body.

Well, I hope to have her out and running within a few weeks. I will try and post pictures as soon as I can get some. Can I draw from your collective experiences if I need to? I know I will need it!:veryhappy

That's all for now.

Ann
(Milwaukee South Sider by way of Elm Grove)

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
kadettgirl said:
Well, I hope to have her out and running within a few weeks. I will try and post pictures as soon as I can get some. Can I draw from your collective experiences if I need to? I know I will need it!:veryhappy That's all for now. Ann
Welcome to the Opel Community, Ann

Every newly discovered Kadett owner is doubly welcome as there are heaps of GTs here and not so many Kadetts. We love pictures too.
You surely can rely on the helpfulness of people here plus the huge amount of information and previous experience already recorded here.
Most of us would not be half as far on with our projects without this site!

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,028 Posts
Hi Ann,

welcome in the club, and be aware: you already seem to be infected, and the Opelitis virus can hardly be stopped! Post pictures pleeeaaaaase, from you AND the car... ;-)

Dieter

·
Super Moderator
3,118 Posts
Ann, If you are afraid of getting the dreaded "Opelitis", I can come and take it off your hands and I won't charge you a cent for making you well again! Just call me Dr. Roy! Hee Hee Hee :lmao:

·
Ann
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome!

Hey, thanks everyone!

gtjames - I don't know about gold, but the sentimental value and the fun I am going to have just getting it started is worth more than gold!

GTJIM - You sure are right about the GT people outnumbering the Kadett people! I hope that I will be able to get it going without bothering too many of you. Pictures coming next week. New Zealand, wow, I'm so jealous!!!! I live in Wisconsin, home of Cheese and Beer, how fun...

heimue - I think I cought the bug when my Grandma handed me the keys (long before I could drive) just before my Dad buried it for 21 years. I was planning on posting a picture of me and the car, hope you won't be too disappointed with me OR the car!

Ooooner - Well Dr. Roy, how about not a snowballs chance in :evil: will you get this car. But, since you are a Dr. :rolleyes: you can come heal it and I wont even pay you a cent for the privilege:biglaugh:

Thanks again and I look forward to keeping in touch!

Ann

·
Opel Addicts
2,459 Posts
Welcome

Ann:

Welcome aboard. It is great to see another woman joining the Opel group! You have a very active group of Opelers up there in the Wisconsin area. The people here on the board are wonderful. Feel free to ask any question and get to know everyone. It is a great community.

Vickie

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
kadettgirl said:
Hey, thanks everyone!

GTJIM - You sure are right about the GT people outnumbering the Kadett people! I hope that I will be able to get it going without bothering too many of you. Pictures coming next week. New Zealand, wow, I'm so jealous!!!! I live in Wisconsin, home of Cheese and Beer, how fun...

Thanks again and I look forward to keeping in touch! Ann
Huh! Jealous?? New Zealand, Home of Cheese, Beer and SHEEP! 44 million of them ... and hardly any Opels either. Five GTs and ONE Kadett (my 1967 Rallye).

Oh to live in a place as exciting as Wisconsin - sounds a lot like here. :D

·
Opel Adventure # 77 NC
634 Posts
Ann,

Welcome aboard. It is good to hear there will be another Kadett back on the road. I drive a 69 Kadett wagon. The 70 Kadett sport sedan that I recently sold to Opelmn70 resides in Milwaukee. Like Vickie said, there is a good group in the SE Wisconsin area.
You may want to come to the RT66 Fest in Springfield in Sept, should be several from Wis. there.

Good luck w/ your Kadett.
Kevin

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
Howdy From Texas

Welcome to OPELHOLICS Anonymos, beware of the addiction OPEL. There are some of us out here that have more Opels than they have boots. I have a new one to my habit a 1968 Kadett model 31 (Standard), also in the coral, a 69 GT, 3 70 GTs, 2 71 GTs, 72 GT, 73 Manta Rallye, 75 Ascona, along with a small colection of of parts cars; 68 Kadett wagon, 8 Mantas, 12 GTs. 72 Ascona wagon, and a 74 Ascona. Then there are 2 Mantas, 2 GTs, and one 61 Record, stored here belonging to some friends and soon to be a Senator coming for a visit. Undergoing a ground up restoration a 67 Kadett LS, a 72 GT is getting a total custom rework, and 71 GT getting a little cosmetic repairs. I did forget the Buick Opel by Isuzu parts car and the Isuzu Impulse transplant donation car for the my GT. So be aware of the Opelitus addiction.
And I may have missed one or two or three, I working on trying to purchase a Kadett Rallye unrestored original (nice).
I just realized how sick I am after reading this and there are more parts in the two shops!!!!

Welcome to the Group.

·
635 Posts
Hi Ann Welcome to the world of Opel nuts

:haha:

Well let me be the first to say this:

CLEAN OUT THE GAS TANK !!!
Remove it send it out to shop and
Have it done professionally cleaned out and resealed too!!
Now you need to replace all the fuel lines from the tank to the carb.
Next remove the Solex ( or at least clean the Solex out with a can of carb cleaner, and some more added to the fuel tank) and install a new Weber Carburator with new gaskets and a heat shield.
Now before you fire it up with good clean gas in the tank and a new gas filter installed.
Make sure you have lubricated the cylinder walls I like to use Marvel Mystery Oil it comes in a sprary can now.
Now maybe it is a good idea to turn the engine by wrench to see if it is free to crank over.
If it turns freely then remove the coil wire
next turn the engine over with a new battery and a power assist from a charger watch the oil pressure gauge and make sure it is between 1- 2 bars.
If you have good fuel in the tank, a new fuel filter installed in line with new fuel lines and good oil pressure she is ready to ignite now so reattach the coil, pump the gas pedal a few times to prime the carb ( or drop some fuel into the bowl of the Weber to prime it ) and fire her up!!:yup:

Congratulations you have revived an Opel !!! It's alive !!!

If you need help write to [email protected] I will be happy to help you.:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Opel of the month

Welcome Ann;

To Ann and everyone else how about a Kadett of the month for August competition. Interiors only or a interiors weighted for overall, "of the month winner?" I know I can be partial! :lmao:

·
Opeler
147 Posts
Welcome

Ann, As a fellow Kadett(several in fact) owner and an active member of the Greater Milwaukee Opelers, welcome to Opeldom! Our group gets together every month to work on each others cars and usually take a short cruise to show them off. No matter the condition. If you need help or wish to compare notes since I am one of the few Kadett owners in Milwaukee, email me. Or if you drive down Hawley Road, you can't miss the Opels in the driveway.
Gerry

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ann Welcome! Nice to see another proud owner of an Opel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts