Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Trouble Maker
1,523 Posts
I know that Gary has at least a Olympia and a Senator, Rob has a Ascona 1.6, and Dieter has a Kadett C, but who else has greymarket cars out there?

Wouldn't it be nice if you could click on a list of models and it pull up everyone who had that model. You click on Rekord and all the Rekord owners pop-up. And I'm not just talking about greymarket cars either. You click on 70 GT and all the 70 owners pop-up. How difficult would it be to work that Gary?

·
231 Posts
I got one!

I believe my 1969 Italian spec Opel GT qualifies as grey market, even though there are many of her American market siblings still running around the U.S.A.
See my garage for more info.
-Jonzo:drive:

·
Trouble Maker
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that cool. Have you noticed any differences from German GTs?

·
Administrator
10,236 Posts
Phoenix said:
.....Wouldn't it be nice if you could click on a list of models and it pull up everyone who had that model. You click on Rekord and all the Rekord owners pop-up. And I'm not just talking about greymarket cars either. You click on 70 GT and all the 70 owners pop-up. How difficult would it be to work that Gary?
Finally have one in the works. I commissioned a programmer I work with to come up with a program, tied into the "Garage" feature, that will do all that and more. We set up a test site and are working on it there. More details will come as they are developed.

·
Non Civilian
2,092 Posts
My dad has a 1968 Olympia LS 1.5L from Canada. Looks just like a 68 Kadett.

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Greymarket cars.....who...me???

Hmmm...it would appear that I may have a couple of 'Grey' imports....
1972 Ascona 1.6: German spec.
1974 Manta Luxus: UK spec.
1976 Manta Broadspeed Turbo: UK spec.
1980 Ascona B 2.0E: German spec.
1982 Manta B i200: German spec.
That's it for now...still looking for the Calibra, Monza, Aero and 400.....
:D

·
Super Moderator
13,874 Posts
Ernie Bello in Florida has a Kadett C he still races. I believe it's a '78 and he's owned/raced it since about 1980 or so.

·
Trouble Maker
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats awesome Gary. What about clicking on a state and seeing all of the members in the state? I know that we have the map that pin points people. But not everyone puts themselves on it. I'm not even on it. My Uncle lives so close that my pin covers up his pin. And since he's way more important to the site and Georgia Club, I removed mine.

·
231 Posts
Yep, that cool. Have you noticed any differences from German GTs?
I'm aware of three differences between my Italian spec GT and the German market GT's.
1) It has a pair of amber colored side repeaters (extra blinkers located on fenders just forward of the Opel GT logo).
2) It has clear lenses on the front blinkers (amber colored running lights on U.S. spec).
3) My Italian market GT is "GT Metallic Green" exterior with tan interior. From what I can tell from the book "Opel GT: Project 1484" this color combo was only available on GT's destined for outside of Germany. I sometimes wonder if it had any thing to do with the fact that the German translation for the exterior color was "British Grun"?
There are a lot more differences between the Italian and US versions. I have most of them listed in my "Opel Garage".
-Jonzo

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,418 Posts
Phoenix said:
... and Dieter has a Kadett C
Correction: My Kadett is a "B". No gray imports in my garage currently. Would love a Calibra though... Or maybe Rob "Rionart" wants to sell his i200 some time...???

Dieter

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
i have moved this to general so this conversation can go on and not clutter up the site tips and feed back section
btw i think there was only 1 type that was a grey import here the GT(i dont think it was ever sold here by the dealers) :( but i can buy all the rest of them as they all sold here :)

·
Trouble Maker
1,523 Posts
Sorry Dieter. And I think that Rob's trying to corner the market. So I think that your on your own. I first listed this thread in Other Models Forum.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
Phoenix said:
. I first listed this thread in Other Models Forum.
as it was in site tips i moved it , someone must have thought it was more suited to tips but as it gets replys added a thread gets its own momentum and then a place for it can be worked out :D

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
shades of gray

My '67 Admiral is for sure a gray market. I'm reasonably sure my 4-door Kadett is not a US spec, as it's missing some US required items like the parking brake light and it has an origional high comp motor in '71. And, while the 59 Rekord sedan and 60 Olympia wagon were actually sold here at one point, there's sure not many around anymore. The remainder of the fleet is all US stuff though.

·
Trouble Maker
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Rekord and Olympia were sold here? Why didn't anyone tell me? Are there any others that were also sold here besides the four that I thought were the only ones? I'm fairly new to Opels knowledge, so don't scold me.

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
How many Grays do you want

Dieter and Kornelia Sedlmaier have nothing but gray market Opels, Check out pictures form Opel Club of Texas events, Manta Bs, Kadett, Omega, Astra (got totaled when hit broadside by a gal running a stop sign), so the count went from 11 down to 10 I believe is correct. Otto Bartsch and Marty Reimer also in the Texas Club both have Bitters.
With that there are at least 12 in Texas and possibly more.

·
392 Posts
I also have a grey market car. But it is a 67 RHD Austin Mini. Does that count? It is smaller then a GT and can still fit 4 people, sort of.

Mike

1 - 20 of 32 Posts