Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Trouble Maker
1,523 Posts
Definitely a greymarket car but I was considering only the opels. I'd like to here about Bitters too tough. I liked your Mini when I saw it though.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,418 Posts
I know that Gary has atleast a Olympia and a Senator, Rob has a Ascona 1.6, and Dieter has a Kadett C, but who else has greymarket cars out there?
Correction: My Kadett is a "B". No gray imports in my garage currently.
Tony,

you are prophetic! You already knew two years ago I'd have a Kadett C... although I wanted to conceal it at that time!:lmao:

Dieter

·
Oldpiler
216 Posts

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Hmmm...it would appear that I may have a couple of 'Grey' imports....
1972 Ascona 1.6: German spec.
1974 Manta Luxus: UK spec.
1976 Manta Broadspeed Turbo: UK spec.
1980 Ascona B 2.0E: German spec.
1982 Manta B i200: German spec.
That's it for now...still looking for the Calibra, Monza, Aero and 400.....
:D
Here we are a couple of years on....so no surprises I have added to the list::D
1985 Monza GS/E: UK spec
1991 Senator 24V: German spec

·
Opeler
384 Posts
Some (??) years ago a guy from a small town in the triangle AZ/CA/Mexico bougth a Calibra Turbo all-wheel -drive, from somebody who worked for the Swiss embassy. The Calibra had a clean US title.
I shipped some spare parts to him, but since four or five years it is total silence.
Dont know what happend with the guy and the car.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,418 Posts
Some (??) years ago a guy from a small town in the triangle AZ/CA/Mexico bougth a Calibra Turbo all-wheel -drive, from somebody who worked for the Swiss embassy. The Calibra had a clean US title.
I shipped some spare parts to him, but since four or five years it is total silence.
Dont know what happend with the guy and the car.
If you still have any contact information (email, phone number), I'd fly over there and drive home in a heartbeat. Haven't been stopped by curious State Troopers for 3 weeks now...

Dieter

·
More Opels than sense
26 Posts
Nowhere near as impressive as Rob's list, but I have a few gray market cars hiding in California:

- 1979 Monza 3.0E (originally French spec, now German spec GSE)
- 1979 Manta B (originally German spec 1.9 Luxus, now updated with 2.4 and late model UK-spec gray Recaro interior)
- 1983 Monza 3.0E (German spec, now with a GSE interior and suspension)
- 1988 Manta B RHD body (new bodyshell, never made into a car)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Grey Market Opel?

Hmmm...it would appear that I may have a couple of 'Grey' imports....
1972 Ascona 1.6: German spec.
1974 Manta Luxus: UK spec.
1976 Manta Broadspeed Turbo: UK spec.
1980 Ascona B 2.0E: German spec.
1982 Manta B i200: German spec.
That's it for now...still looking for the Calibra, Monza, Aero and 400.....
:D
Hello Rob- Isn't the '82 i200 Manta listed above the '84 that I sold you 4-5 years ago? Also, I have been "gifted" my old '71 Diplomat 5.4 V8 that I sold back in '83! The third owner after I sold it gave it to me and then disappeared! I don't have any paperwork for the car and I can't find the guy! Now my son thinks he's going to restore it...and get a title for it! Regards! Ernie Bello

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Hello Rob- Isn't the '82 i200 Manta listed above the '84 that I sold you 4-5 years ago? Also, I have been "gifted" my old '71 Diplomat 5.4 V8 that I sold back in '83! The third owner after I sold it gave it to me and then disappeared! I don't have any paperwork for the car and I can't find the guy! Now my son thinks he's going to restore it...and get a title for it! Regards! Ernie Bello
You are 100% correct Ernie....I either had a typo or a brain fade when I wrote '82...D'oh!
The Diplomat will be a cool restoration project...there is supposed to be one in Toronto, the guy posted on here once, but no more has been heard or seen...
One of these days I'll find the time to come down and watch you and the Kadett in action...
Cheers, Rob.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Rekord/Olympia in US

The Rekord and Olympia were sold here? Why didn't anyone tell me? Are there any others that were also sold here besides the four that I thought were the only ones? I'm fairly new to Opels knowledge, so don't scold me.
Absolutely . . . 1958-1962! . . . and here are their drivetrain details . . .

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,418 Posts
Updating the thread after over 12 years ... :eek:

My list (currently owned gray-market Opels) has grown, but I'd call it at a standstill at this time:

1979 Kadett C (C20XE - 2.0-16V conversion) link
1984 Kadett D GTE (C20LET - 2.0-16V Turbo conversion)
1987 Kadett E Cabrio (Convertible) GSI 2.0 (original, with pink decals) link
1991 Calibra 16V-4x4 (original, in "Make America Great Again" outfit) link
1986 Rekord E2 Polizeiauto (police car) (C20XE - 2.0-16V conversion) link
1993 (mystery car) (the one that doesn't exist, in the basement which I don't have) :p

Dieter

21 - 32 of 32 Posts