Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Whoo Hoo I got my car down here from INdiana this weekend. It was fun too having it in tow. Lots of people giving me the thumbs up when they passed and several times when we got stuck in traffic we'd have people roll their window down and ask what the heck it was. Funny

Anyway, when we were pushing it off the trailer, gravity wasnt even a help. Halfway down the car just stopped. We really had to push it to get it off, and then to push it into the garage was really tough. NO the parking break wasnt on, but it sure felt like there was some kind of grinding going on. Almost if the breaks were catching or something. Could this be because the brakes are all rusty and dry or could it be my bearings or somethig else.

I just got it into the garage last night and havent even had a chance to get the wheels off or anything yet. What should I be looking at and does this sound very serious??

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Sounds like the brakes are hanging up due to rust on one or more wheels. Make sure the E-brake is not pulled up. Jack up one wheel at a time and see if they rotate freely. Rear wheels can usually be freed by tapping on the drum with a hammer.

Good luck with your GT. Wait until you see the looks you get when you start driving it !!:cool:

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok Thanks

Tonight is the night she will roar back to life. I'll get her running tonight and then it looks like the first thing I am going to have to tackle is the suspension and the rear end. I was lucky and found a box at my parents house that had a brand new tourqe tube donut and some other new bushings.

Depending on how ratty they are, Ill have to replace all the bushings, get new shocks, new brakes and then new tires. Ill get cheapy tires because I am going to get new wheels down the line. These tires have been on there for 17 years and the front left one wont stay inflated. Dry rot I presume. Ill take some digital pics this evening and get them up here.

Here is one thing that is amazing. My dash STILL doesnt have ANY cracks in it. And I have the warranty card that looks like it came off the press yesterday. Perfect condition!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts