Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Opeler
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
19 sh engine (76 rekord d, little younger than GT´s here but i still hope for some help)

i was driving around my town when some metallic ticking started to appear. its like periodical, stayes about for 5-8 seconds and then is pause for 2-4 seconds. no oli warning light on the appearance day (oil pressure meter showed little low but nothing dangerous) and headed home(2 km). opened oli pump, sanded the cower but sound stayed. took off fan belt and sound stayed. pulled off valve cover, covered the chain not to give me the oil shower and started the engine. noise appears to come from lower chain ring. just wanted to know if anybody could add some thoughts to the list...
havent had the time to dig in, jet...

1. worn out chain tensioner kicking against chain
2. lower end of the distributor
3. fulepump??? (probably no)
4. crankshaft bearing(dont know if it is right word, i mean the bearing wich floates on oil - you know...) failure, maybe some s**t came loose after oil changing and running for 300 km, so the bearign melted up...

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
i think your first guess is right and its the timing chain tensioner , theres a fix on the site but i will have to look for it using a drum brake piston i think
will post soon with the link :)

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
thats the one thanks dave

·
Opeler
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
had some time to work with my car

did not have the spare brake piston :( but i did have a spark plug :D

so reattached the tensioner, started the engine, warmed it up but some of the sound returned. extending part was about 7 mm, how much should it be? 10mm? 15, 20?

is it possible that the plastic/rubber piece came off and now the metal part of it runs along the chain (read that it have happened). i just dont want to pull the timing cover :( but when the ticking started it grow louder in time, so maybe the rubber/plastic part got worn out.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
On a 1.9 there were two upper timing tensioner types and one was prone to noise as the chain stretched. However it produced more of a nocking rattle than a grind.

·
Opeler
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ordered the chain and guides doday. wanted to know if it is possible to change the chain without removing the head. i know that it is possible to pull the timing cover without removing the head, but can the chain be replaced. i know that timingcover might leak some oil when assembled.

love my rekord d - plenty of room under the hood...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts