Opel GT Forum banner

101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Über Genius
8,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
The two boxes sent, I insured the large box for 2000.00. And the 18lbs box for 1300.00. I can file a claim and see what happens, we can put the damaged pulleys in a box and send it back to their claims, or we can figure what all pulleys are damaged and maybe I can send an invoice to UPS to cover those.
I will put together a comprehensive list tonight
I don't think we need to file a claim on the smaller box. There's just about no damage that would be visible after installation.

Fwiw, if it helps with a claim, the large box came with one piece of foam, some plastic sheets, a few pieces of cardboard, and a blue cloth thing.
The piece of foam was on the bottom and everything else was on top.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My Manta is 90% function, 10% form. So I will take a damaged one. I just want to get the damn thing running. 50 yrs of the Manta roadtrip, coming up up.:arms:

·
Opel Key Master
4,881 Posts
I will put together a comprehensive list tonight
I don't think we need to file a claim on the smaller box. There's just about no damage that would be visible after installation.

Fwiw, if it helps with a claim, the large box came with one piece of foam, some plastic sheets, a few pieces of cardboard, and a blue cloth thing.
The piece of foam was on the bottom and everything else was on top.
There should have been some large bags used between the top pulleys to pad and fill the rest of the box. I can do a claim on just that box, or whatever needs to be done. Again, once installed you probably will not see any marks, and they shouldn't be bent, usually if they are bent, they broke. It looks like most of it is the anodizing that got the worst of it, and really you only need to worry about it on the crank seal...other than that they can be painted black or multi colored if Gordo ordered some...lol.

·
Senior Contributor
4,906 Posts
There should have been some large bags used between the top pulleys to pad and fill the rest of the box. I can do a claim on just that box, or whatever needs to be done. Again, once installed you probably will not see any marks, and they shouldn't be bent, usually if they are bent, they broke. It looks like most of it is the anodizing that got the worst of it, and really you only need to worry about it on the crank seal...other than that they can be painted black or multi colored if Gordo ordered some...lol.
I have been down the road of UPS claims and it will not be easy. They will blame it on the way they were packed. They will say that each one should have been packed individually to avoid shipping damage.

·
RunOpel
950 Posts
I'm in agreement with Gary, as long as there is no integrity issue, I'm not concerned with cosmetic scratches. Probably most of us were going to repaint anyway. Although they did look pretty good when Keith presented a picture of them. I personally don't want to wait any longer, I just want to be able to install them. Its unfortunate, but things do happen. It is a hassle to deal with UPS on proving they caused the damage.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm with runopel. Please send mine to as long as it's not bent. A little paint and you wont know the difference.

·
Living in the past
2,263 Posts
UPS shipping

UPS runs their crews at a quick pace loading , unloading and delivery and I think that has a bearing on the condition of the package when it is delivered. I have noticed that they would tear up a cast-iron outhouse with a rubber hammer. Fedex has a slower pace handling packages and they have less problems with damaged shipments. If you are putting these on a show car engine, take your drimmell tools and smooth the rough spots out then have them powder coated or chrome plated.

·
Über Genius
8,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Packing them up!

I am doing it as a blind draw. Every pulley, even the ones for me, are in non-identifiable packaging.
I'm going to pack, label and send them off without any prejudice. I hope this works for everyone.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I have been down the road of UPS claims and it will not be easy. They will blame it on the way they were packed. They will say that each one should have been packed individually to avoid shipping damage.
I shipped a wooden table (tree trunk base and large single piece slab top) via OOPS. The receiving station stated "looks to be well packaged" when I brought it in to the station (small town bus station acted as the receiving agent). I followed the status as it traveled from Ruidoso, NM to Baltimore, MD. Everything was good! Then, it didn't leave Baltimore? It seems the packing that was good leaving Ruidoso was no good in Baltimore, in fact, the entire slab top (an oval about 3 FEET by 4 FEET and 3 inches thick) wasn't in the package when it was time to leave for the final leg of the trip (in fact they couldn't even find the missing piece)! It had been checked in OK, but wasn't there when it was supposed to check out? The company, acting as their own insurer, determined that the packaging was at fault and when that was determined, what was left of the package was destroyed. When I questioned that, they said it was "standard operating procedure". I discussed this with the bus station agent and he suggested that I call my credit card company. I did that and complained and they issued a stop payment until they could investigate the problem. There was no give in the company procedure and they had actually been paid by the bus station, not my card. After the CC company returned my money, I stopped by the bus station and found my name on the wall with a note "Do Not Accept Checks from This Person!" A different agent was on duty so I asked what that was all about and was told that I had shipped something and my check later bounced! WTF? When a couple of friends of mine asked about the notice I told them the story. Everyone (of them) had a great laugh! I stopped by the station the next day and removed the notice. I checked every few days for while but it was never replaced. I paid for another top and sent it via a different carrier after I got the packing approved in writing before the shipping started! I only use OOPS now when there is no other choice (not too often)! -- Doug

·
RunOpel
950 Posts
Just checking First Opel 1981, you did receive the extra money for postage in your PayPal account with my mailing address???
I know you have a lot going on especially with the current issue at hand, but never heard back from you.
If you did and are mailing out to me, just want to be tracking :yup:

·
Über Genius
8,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Just checking First Opel 1981, you did receive the extra money for postage in your PayPal account with my mailing address???
I know you have a lot going on especially with the current issue at hand, but never heard back from you.
If you did and are mailing out to me, just want to be tracking :yup:
Yup, I got the postage and will get you tracking info soon.

·
RunOpel
950 Posts
I figured as much. Thanks for all your doing :yup: much appreciated :yup:

·
RunOpel
950 Posts
Today I received my water pump and crank shaft pulleys. Despite the deficiencies that occurred during shipment, I found both of my pulleys to be adequate and presentable with only minor cosmetic scratches.

Thank you to both Keith and First Opel 1981 for your efforts in this group buy.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,225 Posts
I've not been following this, but I do have a suggestion:

Place a super thin skim coat of Anti-Seize inside the AL pulley and on the steel crankshaft shaft. Once installed and if exposed to any moisture, then the AL will tend to corrode to the steel shaft. Sometimes these crank pulleys and be really stubbonr once in place for a long time... as I am sure most everyone knows by now!.

·
Senior Contributor
1,464 Posts
Packing them up!

I am doing it as a blind draw. Every pulley, even the ones for me, are in non-identifiable packaging.
I'm going to pack, label and send them off without any prejudice. I hope this works for everyone.
Ok... If that's the Deal... Am Cool with it... Now can you send them out.... please

I have not received tracking numbers for my water pump pulley,, shipped yet? anyone else ?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Packing them up!

I will be in Portland for Thanksgiving. If mine has not already shipped, I will pick it up.

·
Über Genius
8,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #119 (Edited)
I will be in Portland for Thanksgiving. If mine has not already shipped, I will pick it up.
All but three have been shipped. FedEx was having issues with their websitee when I was doing all the labels and wouldn't let me do the final 3.

Gary...
Just got a call from FedEx.

"I have a package for Gary but there's a mean cat on the front porch that won't let me near the porch. What do you want me to do?"

Is there access to a back porch?

"No, and this cat is really mad. It's hissing and looks like it's ready to attack"

OK, can you toss the box onto the porch?

"I can't do that. It could damage the contents"

(this is where I laughed inside that a courier cared about the contents)
Don't worry about the contents. I double insulated the so the won't get damaged. Just toss the box up there.

"I'll tell ya, that's one mean black cat!"

So, Gary, your pulley has been delivered. Sorry if the FedEx guy hir your cat with it.

Edit!

Sorry Gary, I just got a notice from FedEx saying that they did NOT deliver the package.

How mean IS that cat anyhow?

They said they will deliver it tomorrow.

HIDE YOUR CAT! :eek:

·
Opeler
2,912 Posts
Did my water pump pulley ship FedEx?
Will be out of town for several days, and package will be sitting at front door.
Do you have my Tracking #, so I can route package to FedEx Store for pickup?

101 - 120 of 148 Posts