Opel GT Forum banner

Do you want to buy a set of NEW CIH Head Bolts?

• Yes, four sets of ten please

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, five sets or more of ten please (I'll contact to confirm number)

• CIH-Six Owners: Yes, two sets of 14 please

• CIH-Six Owners: Yes, three or more sets of 14 please (I'll contact to confirm number)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, the Group Buy is back on. To remind you what all got said, go to
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6966&page=1&pp=40
As an update, these bolts are new aftermarket, with a Torx head versus the OEM Triple Square 12-point (the Torx is better, but you need a Torx tool).
BUT, they are only Gr. 9.8 (versus the OEM 10.9) so they are somewhat weaker. But not as weak as the later Opel OEM Allen head bolts, which were Gr. 8.8.
And they are LONGER. Just a bit, about 5 mm, and according to our own "nobody":
nobody said:
Just a note on the dimensioning. I did run bolts all the way down into a block both short and long ones to measure total depth with stock bolts. I then measured a stock head for depth from bolt hole to deck. The total allowed for an 8 mm longer bolt. However I forgot one thing, the head gasket. This adds another 1 mm compressed so now you have 9 and you can safely deck down 3 or 4 mm and be ok. Well I wouldn't recommend it as the timing would be a mess and I'm not sure where it would put compression. I imagine it would be up there and new bolts would be a good thing. I'm still in..
So, Dave is back to his good old rambling self and providing us with darn good info. My recommendation would still be to "chase" the threads in the block to make sure that they are clean and in good shape to the bottom of the hole. And I might also consider using a hardened washer under the bolt head. Just to be sure, and I also like distributing the load over a bit bigger area.

I need to keep this simpler than what I had originally suggested. I will sell in either orders of 10, 14, 20 and 28 bolts (and, of course, half of each order will be the long bolts, and half the short bolts). Since the order number is going to be smaller, I can't get as big a discount. The price will be, including Expedited Parcel (10 business days) to the USA:

set of 10 bolts: $40 USD
set of 14 bolts: $45 USD
set of 20 bolts: $70 USD
set of 28 bolts: $80 USD

Larger orders will be in multiples of the above pricing. Sorry, but I really only wanted to make these available to the Opel crowd, not get into the head bolt business. If this gets any bigger, and I might find out what Chapter 11 translates to in Canadian law.

Please use the Poll to place you order. I hope to get the order placed before I leave for the OMC Picnic August 10, so please let me know ASAP. Payments will be taken ONLY after the order is set. DO NOT PRE-PAY! (Dave, you can consider yourself paid in full). Payments are preferred in $USD, and by PayPal. When I confirm your order (And NOT before!), my e-mail is my PayPal account:
kwilford"at"shaw.ca (of course you replace the "at" with a @)
Payments are also accepted by International Money Order, NOT by the standard US Post Money order. They don't even burn well in Canada! BidPay Money orders also work, I believe (Make sure that they are in $USD and negotiable in Canada). When the time comes, they can be mailed to:
Keith Wilford
19 Edenwold Crescent N.W.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
T3A 3T9

Any questions, please ask.
Thanks!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I have a few sets of stock bolts but I'm always in the market for new if I can get them. After 30 odd years it's hard to know exactly what you have or how many times it's been used before you got them. If you ever went to put something back together and found the bolts nowhere to be found or no good you know why I want them.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Hardened Washers

Small Block Chevy V8 7/16" hardened steel washers, for V8 head bolts, are close to a perfect fit, BTW.
Just make sure that the seating area under the blot head is flat and square. May also have to just "ease" the hole diameter in the washer to get them on to the new bolts -- 12mm = 0.472" 7/16" = 0.4375" = 11.11mm
and don't forget to chamfer the upper edge of the hole in the washer to clear the radius under the head of the bolt.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kwilford said:
Payments will be taken ONLY after the order is set. DO NOT PRE-PAY!
PLEASE do NOT pay me yet (James, I got your PayPal)! I am pretty confident that this will happen, but until I get confirmation from the vendor, I can't say for sure. When I get it confirmed that they are on their way, I will take your money then.

I will order at least 10 sets if he sets up the shipping, so right now I just need to know how many more sets to order. After they get ordered, they will probably take a week or two to get here from the UK, I need a week to sort and ship, and then they will take up to two weeks to get to you. Please be patient!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Keith, it's like feeding pirahnas. Inexpensive parts of any variation is like wearing kibble underwear and going to the dog pound and expect to be left alone. Nice people pay first and have faith. No chapter 11 if I can help it. I knew it was getting big so no point of you taking it all on. Opelers have faith and know who to trust. You had my vote and confidence right off so you might want to think about it the other way. What I mean is you can work the deal using OPM that are willing to pay. I don't wan't to see you in a bind for doing this or get stuck with parts you can't move.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
krewzer said:
Yeh Keith,
I'll be happy to PayPal in advance of the order. No sense in going out on a limb with this. Send me a P.M. and I'll shoot you my part.
Wes
Wes, no worries, please wait until I get the details confirmed with the vendor. I should hear back from him in a day or two (he's getting shipping details)

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Last Call for New Head Bolts...

OK, the Buy is on. I would like to get this underway, to see if I can get them in my hands for the OMC Picnic (discounts available for pick up at OMC, could cost me a beer or two!). So the poll will close end of the day TODAY (that is Wednesday, August 3). More may be available later, but so far we have enough for a trial order. Vote now, vote often! (Like in Florida)

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
is there a possibility that u will have extra sets at the omc picnic for purchase there, i dont no if im gonna be able to make it and if there were extras i would deffinetly pick them up at the omc. or ill jus have to wait till we get enough people toghter to order more, which who knows when thatll be.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pvcar said:
is there a possibility that u will have extra sets at the omc picnic for purchase there, i dont no if im gonna be able to make it and if there were extras i would deffinetly pick them up at the omc. or ill jus have to wait till we get enough people toghter to order more, which who knows when thatll be.
I am going to place the order tonight. I will probably buy a couple of extra sets for last minute orders. If all goes well, I will have them in time to leave for the OMC Picnic next Wednesday. If I do, I will need to know how many to bring. But it is VERY likely that they will NOT make it in time, so don't be disappointed

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kwilford said:
If all goes well, I will have them in time to leave for the OMC Picnic next Wednesday.
I just got a note from the vendor, and he is estimating three weeks delivery to me in Canada. Oh well, I would have LIKED to have them for OMC...
I am closing the Poll at 2200 hrs MDT (Mountain Daylight Time, 10:00 pm tonight) so you have 12 minutes to get your orders in.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, the Poll is closed, and orders have been taken. I should get the purchase finalized within a day or two (the timing for e-mail to go back and forth to the UK has been a bit of a hassle), and then (and ONLY then!) will I start accepting payments. Details are in the first post. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have good news and bad news. The deal is on. but I can only get 20 14-bolt sets in this first round, so one set short of what has been ordered. To be totally autocratic, I have decided that the only person who ordered three sets will be rationed to two (sorry, gtracer!). More will probably be available in a second order in the near future, or you can always buy them directly.

I have paid for the bolts, they are to be shipped on Monday, and should arrive here within three weeks. Count on another few days for me to get them packaged up, and a week to two to get to the final destination.

So please now pay for these ASAP. Payment details are in the first post in this thread. But to re-iterate:

The price will be, including Expedited Parcel (10 business days) to the USA:

set of 10 bolts: $40 USD
set of 14 bolts: $45 USD
set of 20 bolts: $70 USD
set of 28 bolts: $80 USD

Payments are preferred in $USD, and by PayPal. My e-mail is my PayPal account: kwilford"at"shaw.ca (of course you replace the "at" with a @)
Payments are also accepted by International Money Order, NOT by the standard US Post Money order. BidPay Money orders also work, I believe (Make sure that they are in $USD and negotiable in Canada). Payments can be mailed to:
Keith Wilford
19 Edenwold Crescent N.W.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
T3A 3T9

Thanks for making this happen.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.