Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gt A/c

Ok I know this topic had been worn out of the few years that I have been involved with opels but
Is there anyone out there with an A/C consol and blower that are in decent shape? I would prefer the shorter style A/C consol. Anyway a while back on the yahoo group we had talked about making a mold of it and making some fiberglass copies, well I would like to do it. I would also like to put together a kit of the essential parts for converting your gt.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I haven't gotten the catalog in about two years, but last time I checked the website I didn't see any.
I called Gill about it and he said that he "might" have a consol or two in the attic that possibly didnt have too bad of cracks in them.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't want to get a replica, I wanted to get an origional so that I could make replicas. I think a while back a compleate NOS A/C kit went on ebay for around $400.
$400 seams a bit pricy for just the consol

·
Registered
37 Posts
I contacted OGTS at the same time that NOS console was up on ebay...wanted to price compare. They gave me a price of $400 for the fiberglass repro kit...way out of my price range for a convenience. If you end up putting it together for a reasonable price, I sure would be interested.

Jason

·
Currently in Opel Detox.
78 Posts
Still looking for a console to mold?

If you are still looking for a console to mold, I have both types, but they'd be on loan.
Give me a heads up on what all you're thinking of doing.
I'm currently working on building a Bracket setup to mate to the rear of a Sanden in place of the A6 setup, and hope to be well underway by February as It starts to warm up here close to the end of Winter.

·
Certified Opelholic
1,482 Posts
$400!

was this for a complete kit?

I sold both my AC consols for under $75 each

i still have the rear blowers i did not think they where worth anything

also i have a Bracket kit new in the box from ARA

it was used to mount a mini York

Davegt74

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
davegt74 said:
$400!

was this for a complete kit?

I sold both my AC consols for under $75 each

I don't know if you are refering to what i saw on ebay or the thing from OGTS
The kit on ebay was so pricy because it was brand new in the box, compleate, and never installed.

The OGTS one is just the consol but it is a repro in fiberglass.

·
Currently in Opel Detox.
78 Posts
anyone else want to get rid of an ARA console for $75.

I too had sold several in that price range when I thought I was getting out of the opel addiction.
Unfortuneately I now have 2 and have had over 5 this year with the most being 3 at a time.
Just can't stop buying them when the price is right.

My ARA is beat up pretty badly in the rear.

I'm also missing the snorkel from the blower into the console if someone wants to unload that little nuggett.

·
Certified Opelholic
1,482 Posts
looks like about the time you spend all the money for a stock setup

you could buy and almost install a vintage air setup

sometimes i wish i hadn't gotten involved in racing a lot of these projects are very interesting

that brand new kit on Ebay was worth it but i don't know about a $400 counsel maybe if you already have a working setup

I think a vintage Air setup would be the way to go

but the hardest part is the brackets to mount the AC compressor

i would like to see the Alt moved to the passenger side and the AC compressor mounted where the Alt is know

what do you guys think

Davegt74

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have considered the vintage air setup but it runs about $800 if I remember correctly and then all you have are the raw components, I would still need to fabricate the ductwork and some new kind of heater/evaporator box in the dash(my least favorite part to take out of the car).
I think that the stock setup while crude by todays standards works fairly well and with a modern compressor and evap components installed it should work well.

I think that Otto Bartsch had the compressor and generator set up as you have desribed, and I would think that any fab shop would be able to make the brackets to attach them. I don't know I havent yet assembled the other parts, the compressor was what I was going to get to last................

Chris

·
451 Posts
I have looked at the vintage air set up as well as any others I can find and I can tell you that none of them will fit under the GT dash.

The smallest that I have found was the Vintage Air GEN II mini, and it is still too big to even come close to fitting under the dash. I have considered mounting the heating/cooling unit in the spare tire space in the back, but then the ducting becomes a nightmare.

So, I have decided to make a custom dash and put the Gen II mini in the dash.

Nathan Acree
Albuquerque New Mexico

1 - 14 of 14 Posts