Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Opeler
911 Posts
I'd really like to see one installed in person so I can figure out what modifications I need to make with my current set-up. If/when you have one installed at your shop let me and I might make the trip.

·
Opel Key Master
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You are a little late, but then again maybe not. I have this setup installed on a customers GT that changed it a little bit due to the Honda radiator, and electric fan, Compu-fire, and rear heat, but the hoses and the condenser remained the same as well as the brackets. I can modify the parts for say the 105 amp alternator and such too. So yes, I currently have enough of one installed on a car currently at the shop. I delivered one fitted in a stock GT back in August.
Keith

·
Opel Key Master
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
A few months ago you mentioned that these would not work on a GT with 2.4 and EFI. Is this still the case?
Yes, they will not fit due to the EFI. The thermostat housing and hose configuration puts it right in the way. I'm not saying I couldn't make something work, but would end up retooling for one cars engine that I would never probably do again.

·
Opel Key Master
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Here are a few pics showing the compressor installed and the underneath hoses. Also the console set in

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Very impressive, Keith! First Opel a/c console I've seen that actually looks good!

What brand compressor are you using?

I recently installed an original York system in my AMX. Obviously overkill for a GT and there are much smaller, lighter and more efficient choices these days, but those old brutes were reliable and easy to work on. They're still being used in Peterbilts, etc. The Jeep crowd are buying the old ones up and turning them into on-board compressed air pumps so they can deflate and reinflate their tires when off-roading.

·
Opeler
828 Posts
Keith, I am presently having one of the group buy 2.4's rebuilt. I also have all of the engine bay, a/c parts for the 2.4. Would it be possible to purchase the console, airhandler, and wire harness for your system? I believe, that with the correct engine bay parts for the 2.4, I just may be able to put a working system together. Am I all wet?

Wes

·
Opel Key Master
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If you are going to run dual side drafts or anything where you will not be using the factory 2.4 EFI thermostat housing, everything will work, even using the 2.4 pulley I believe. If you run the 2.4 thermostat housing, I don't know if all the factory compressor and components will work or fit in the GT. Your passenger frame rail is the issue. Here is a picture of a 2.4 that does have a compressor mounted, for my setup it puts the hoses right into the waterpump crossover hose.

Attachments

·
Opel Key Master
5,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
A 2.4 Pulley will work with my setup. That would save you a bit of money. I can price out just the console and blower, wiring and mounting stuff. Thinking you would want the condenser, and maybe a hose kit made up except the compressor ends left long and uncrimped. I use a reduced barrier hose and fittings. (This is why it gets difficult-as there is a lot that goes into the system people forget often)

·
Opeler
828 Posts
OK, thanks. I would be interested to know the cost of those parts. Your console is beautiful, and would really be the jewel of the interior.

Thanks,

Wes

·
Registered
490 Posts
Kudos

Kudos to you for putting together a cohesive nice looking affordable kit.

Guessing you are using a Sanden compressor?

Anyone wanting to fit one of the really early units (pre ARA) would do well to ditch the York compressor. The GM A6 is an improvement over the York, but still miles behind a modern small Sanden unit. If I had a complete set up for an Opel, I would still ditch the York or the A6 in favor of a Sanden.

And on a related topic, has anyone tried one of the electric compressors? I know you would need a very high amp alternator to run it, but supposedly, they don't have that sudden drag on the engine.

Keith, did you expirement with electric before settling on your set up?

21 - 32 of 32 Posts