Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GT came with an automatic. How strong are these trannys? I am thinking about the 3.4 engine swap sometime next year and dont know what tranny if I go that route. Feedback please on manual or auto trannys... including how difficult to swap. Thank you

179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the floor pans are the same for the manuals and the autos... Is there a difference in the tranny mount? and I would assume that there is a different console also? Any other diffs (beside flexplate vs torque converter!)

179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would go with the 700 R4 if I decided to keep it an auto... I would love to swap in a T5 but am unsure as to the mods to put the T5 in my auto console. I realize that either way the drive shaft needs to be shortened and I have read about this in other posts.

Also the clutch pedel needs to be added.

Sorry about the cross member thing opelgt73, I read your reply too fast and missed it. Thanks

179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 3.4 I am refering to is a 93-97 Camaro engine. Sorry I wasn't clear.

What is the "Yahoo classic oples list" that opelgt73 referenced?

The documentation I am going off of is what Mike Pilkenton put together regarding his 3.1L GM V6, Borg Warner T-5, Mustang-Eating Opel Gt paper. In this paper he said the the T-5 matches up the Opel auto cross member well but did not document if any interior console mods were necessary.

Anybody know how to get ahold of Mike Pilkenton?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.